Live Performances with G-Stomper

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
OhToddski

Live Performances with G-Stomper

Postby OhToddski » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:48 pm

I am interested in getting to the live performance stage as I am using the Korg nano key studio and have midi mapped 70% of G-Stomper in 8 scenes on my controller.
I would love to hear what other people are doing on the tech side of things. Is there a specific usb audio out to mixer so I can jam an analog synth and live bass ect. How did that guy on the youtube video run external sequencers out of G-Stomper. How can I get the most proffesional sound quality playing out of a tablet or smartphone on a live stage. With a 3 split Otg can I power my device and run 2 midi controllers in G-Stomper? Is my headphone jack good enough for a PA system.

Anything tech related would be awesome to hear about thanks!
Ohtoddski
planet-h

Re: Live Performances with G-Stomper

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi OhToddsky
And welcome to the forum.

OhToddski wrote:How did that guy on the youtube video run external sequencers out of G-Stomper.

The only thing you have is to fire MIDI events out. What I did in the videos is to sequence everything in G-Stomper and fired the Note/Trigger/CC evens to the external hardware.
But you can of course also sync your external sequencers to G-Stomper by sending the timing clock + start/stop/continue events.

OhToddski wrote:How can I get the most proffesional sound quality playing out of a tablet or smartphone on a live stage.

By getting one of the best possible tablets on the markets (these are by far not the most expensive ones), e.g. a Google Pixel C or a Nexus 9 Tablet.

OhToddski wrote:With a 3 split Otg can I power my device and run 2 midi controllers in G-Stomper?

No, split Otg are not working, at least not officially, these are not supported by most Android devices.
I'd recommend to look for a tablet that supports wireless charging, then you have the USB port free for MIDI.
G-Stomper provides experimental support for multiple concurrent MIDI controllers (without guarantee for its stability). All you need is a self powered USB hub, that works much better than a split Otg cable. But if you have the choice, I'd recommend to hook the hardware up using MIDI DIN cables and 1 single USB to DIN MIDI Interface. That setup is much more stable than using multiple concurrent MIDI controllers directly over USB.

OhToddski wrote:Is my headphone jack good enough for a PA system.

I cannot speak for other apps, but with G-Stomper and a quality tablet, yes, it is. You'll probably need a bit of equalizing on your hardware mixer (outside G-Stomper) since there's some slight post processing (made by Android itself) right before the signal passes the headphone jack.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”