MIDI Mapping

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
lambe81

MIDI Mapping

Postby lambe81 » Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 am

Hello,
I'm a new G-Stomper user with some problems in English..be patient with me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have a question about MIDI mapping. I want to use the Drum Sampler with my midi controller (Akai LPD8) but I have a problem after the mapping process.
These are the steps I made:
First, in the "Global MIDI Key Mapping Chart", I map all notes from my controller to play a single track sample.
Second, in the "Sampler MIDI CC Mapping Chart", I map sample's parameters to my controller's knobs.
Three, in the "Sampler Channels, Interfaces", I map correct channel/interface to the "Selected Track T[..]" so I can change track's parameters of selected track.
And now the problem: with this configuration, when I'm trying to play a sample in the Drum Sample, it plays two of them:
1. The one I want to play;
2. Sample of selected track with note played by controller (wich is mapped for play a different sample);
Is there a way to prevent point 2?

Thank You
planet-h

Re: MIDI Mapping

Postby planet-h » Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 am

Welcome to the forum, lambe81

lambe81 wrote:Hello,
I'm a new G-Stomper user with some problems in English..be patient with me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I have a question about MIDI mapping. I want to use the Drum Sampler with my midi controller (Akai LPD8) but I have a problem after the mapping process.
These are the steps I made:
First, in the "Global MIDI Key Mapping Chart", I map all notes from my controller to play a single track sample.
Second, in the "Sampler MIDI CC Mapping Chart", I map sample's parameters to my controller's knobs.
Three, in the "Sampler Channels, Interfaces", I map correct channel/interface to the "Selected Track T[..]" so I can change track's parameters of selected track.
And now the problem: with this configuration, when I'm trying to play a sample in the Drum Sample, it plays two of them:
1. The one I want to play;
2. Sample of selected track with note played by controller (wich is mapped for play a different sample);
Is there a way to prevent point 2?

Thank You

The reason why it's playing twice at once is because you've mapped the same MIDI channel for Global and Sampler (selected track).
These channels must be different. Also be sure not to set one of the MIDI channels to "All" (omni mode). If you set them to all, then they listen to all channels.

I'm pretty sure the LPD8 controller allows to set different MIDI channels to the pads and controllers (I guess that's the default setting, at least on my MPK225).
I recommend to try to learn the MIDI channels for global (by tapping a pad) and for the selected sampler track (by turning a controller). That way you find out if the channels are different.

If the channels are the same, then you must change them on the controller. I'm sure Akai provides software to do that.

Regarding point 2.
When you map a channel to a sampler track and then play the notes over MIDI, you can play the particular sampler in a tonal way dependent on the piano key (or pad you press).
When you map the global channel then the different piano keys (or pads) play a different sample, but all samples at their original pitch.
It's just 2 ways of doing similar things. For percussive work, the global mapping is the right way, for melodic work, the sampler (tonal mapping) will suite better.

Hope that helps solving your problem.
lambe81

Postby lambe81 » Tue May 10, 2016 12:01 pm

planeth wrote:I'm pretty sure the LPD8 controller allows to set different MIDI channels to the pads and controllers (I guess that's the default setting, at least on my MPK225).
I recommend to try to learn the MIDI channels for global (by tapping a pad) and for the selected sampler track (by turning a controller). That way you find out if the channels are different.

If the channels are the same, then you must change them on the controller. I'm sure Akai provides software to do that.

Sadly my device has four preset who can be configured to send signal to a specific midi channel, but one preset supports one channel for all pads/knobs in the device.
So I can configure two different presets, one configured to use channel x for "global" and one configured to use channel y for the "selected sampler track", but in this case I need to switch from these two presets hundreds times :roll:

My tablet, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has a terrible touch latency but with a midi controller, a custom rom using Android 6 and OpenSL drivers (lnternal latency 35ms) I can use it in an acceptable way. But this particolar issue with the midi configuration broke my plans :(
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 10, 2016 2:16 pm

I fully see your point, and I'm sure you're not the only user with such a problem.
I've made a note in the task list and see if there's something I can do in one of the next releases, e.g. a block switch per module : sampler, synth, global, which would prevent a particular event type (e.g. noteOnOff or CC) for one or more modules.
I cannot give you a promise yet, but as far as I see, it's not a big deal.
The next update is already built and in beta (will be released soon), but there'll be surely more updates.
I keep you posted.

Regarding the latency:
The Samsung stock Android 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 of the Note pro has actually a pretty good latency (for a Samsung device).
I have a galaxy tab pro, which is factually the same hardware, only the display is different, and it's getting easily to an internal latency of 20ms or even 10ms with the Samsung stock rom.

But yeah, the problem is that ugly permission bug in Samsung's Android 5.1.1, which makes it completely impossible to use any USB MIDI hardware. I really hope they fix that soon, but honestly, since the bug exists since October 2015 already, I think they only fix it in Android 6.
lambe81

Postby lambe81 » Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm

planeth wrote:I fully see your point, and I'm sure you're not the only user with such a problem.
I've made a note in the task list and see if there's something I can do in one of the next releases, e.g. a block switch per module : sampler, synth, global, which would prevent a particular event type (e.g. noteOnOff or CC) for one or more modules.
I cannot give you a promise yet, but as far as I see, it's not a big deal.
The next update is already built and in beta (will be released soon), but there'll be surely more updates.
I keep you posted.

Regarding the latency:
The Samsung stock Android 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 of the Note pro has actually a pretty good latency (for a Samsung device).
I have a galaxy tab pro, which is factually the same hardware, only the display is different, and it's getting easily to an internal latency of 20ms or even 10ms with the Samsung stock rom.

But yeah, the problem is that ugly permission bug in Samsung's Android 5.1.1, which makes it completely impossible to use any USB MIDI hardware. I really hope they fix that soon, but honestly, since the bug exists since October 2015 already, I think they only fix it in Android 6.

I can understand very well your point of view..I'm a programmer too :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sadly Android devices aren't the best choices for music production..I hope this situation will changes next years..finger crossed ;)
For my issue..I will wait confident for future updates!!
Thank You!

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”