VA Beast and sustain pedal (CC 64)?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
planet-h

Re: VA Beast and sustain pedal (CC 64)?

Postby planet-h » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:18 am

TomVal wrote:Emulating accoustic grand piano is very hard, only few products make it right, and I don't think it's a purpose of G Stomper Studio/VA Beast. Sampled piano sounds are good enough for tracks created by G Stomper, I don't think many mobile devices are powerful enough for gran piano emulation.

Yes, both is correct.
Alone the memory of the mobiles don't allow to load a full piano sample set.

However, morph groups are not only for piano players;). These are very useful in live situation, because you can modulate multiple parameters with a single controller.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:00 am

@TomVal
I can now confirm that it'll be definitely part of the next beta build.

The sustain pedal handling concept has been simplified, it'll be defaulted to CC64 as expected. Furthermore there's a new Sustain Pedal control on the on screen KB (right hand side in form of a wheel).

The morph groups have been stripped down to a single one (for now), mapped to the newly integrated Modulation Wheel on the KB (left hand side directly after the pitch wheel).

However, I'm sure you'll be happy with that upgrade.
TomVal

Postby TomVal » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Sustain pedal was originally just an on/off switch, sustain pedal as a continuous controller evolved later. Maybe an option for making a sustain control a switch would be nice. Even today, cheaper sustain pedals are still just on/off switch, and the continuous ones offer the on/off mode for compatibility with devices which dont't expect cc64 values other than 0 or 127
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Do you mean the on screen control or the external pedal?
As external pedal you can connect whatever you want. You can use a switch or a continuous pedal. A Switch will anyway send 0 or 127. GSS will handle both.
TomVal

Postby TomVal » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:38 am

Well, hardware sustain pedals meant to be switches, and even modern hardware sustain pedals offer toggle between switch and continuous mode. Even first Yamaha Tyros couldn't handle continuous pedals connected intu Sustain jack (tested with Roland damper pedal DP 10 which features the switch/continuous toggle). So sustain control is IMHO more appropriate as a switch than a continuous knob.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:48 am

TomVal wrote:Well, hardware sustain pedals meant to be switches, and even modern hardware sustain pedals offer toggle between switch and continuous mode. Even first Yamaha Tyros couldn't handle continuous pedals connected intu Sustain jack (tested with Roland damper pedal DP 10 which features the switch/continuous toggle). So sustain control is IMHO more appropriate as a switch than a continuous knob.

I know. I use a switching pedal by myself, and yes, for regular use when playing a piano, a switch is probably more suitable.
From the point of GSS, technically it clearly has has to work in both ways, continuous and switching. And since the backend works that way, the UI must be able to reflect that behavior. But I see the benefit, and I'll see if I can add the ability to toggle the on screen controls between these two behaviors. I'd say then everybody would be served.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:58 pm

@TomVal
I've just finished the on screen controls for the SP.
You'll be able to switch between 'momentary', 'toggle' and 'continuous'.
The default will be 'Momentary'. The setting is persistent, so if you have once set the function mode, it'll remain forever... until you change it again.
Furthermore the switch has been moved to the left hand side of the KB, it makes more sense there.

I'd say that way everyone will be happy;)

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”