Mute groups and sound sets

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
LucidMusicInc

Mute groups and sound sets

Postby LucidMusicInc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:30 am

2 questions :

Soundsets: are samples embedded? Are fx settings for sampler and synth kept?

Mute groups: what are they and in what circumstances should they be used?
My Mobile Music Discography: https://beforetheriots.bandcamp.com/
planet-h

Re: Mute groups and sound sets

Postby planet-h » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:10 am

LucidMusicInc wrote:Soundsets: are samples embedded? Are fx settings for sampler and synth kept?

That depends on how you save them.
If samples are embedded or not depends on the referring setting in Setup / GEN.

If FX settings are kept, depends on the content you select when saving a soundset.
You can actually save everything in a soundset (except the sequence).

Furthermore you can choose what to load when loading a sound set.
Even if FX are included, you can still load a sound set without the FX (if required).

LucidMusicInc wrote:Mute groups: what are they and in what circumstances should they be used?

Watch this video and you'll know. I couldn't explain it better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UogsOh8Sz1U
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:58 am

Ok, got it. Mute groups are Useful for persuasive sounds.

Re: Soundsets, say I want to save my fx configuration and lay it over my pattern set. I could save a soundset as fx only, and save it to a user folder as an fx configuration. Then I could load it, excluding the samples, over each of the pattern slots to get the proper fx configuration?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:15 am

Mute groups: Yes, these are used to simulate a typical open/closed hihat behavior.

FX/Soundsets:
Yes exactly. Actually, when you select FX only while saving the sound set, then it won't offer anything else than FX when loading it later.
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:33 am

Good to know.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:20 am

The great thing is, that you have the full freedom to work with sound sets in the way that suites best for you.

You can save everything within a sound set, and then load selective (let's say FX only), or you can save selective to make loading easier (this avoids to load wrong content accidentially, for drum kits for example it makes no sense to include the VA-Beast presets, etc.).

And as you can load a sound set from a pattern (rather than a saved sound set), you can also just pick the FX from any saved pattern in your storage.
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:57 pm

I need to get around to making an fx soundset that has the right eq and room reverb that can instantaneously be applied to all patterns. I often mess up tracks by getting muddled sounds after too much tweaking but I'm making a very serious effort to master this app. I was so impressed that I could load long wav files in 5e sampler, useful for rendering live takes of automationss and loading as a track for additional layering.

I'm interested in the multimute. Between multimute, soloing, and muting you've got three powerful tools for activating tracks. Would you consider adding more multimute configuration, for example up to 8 per pattern? They could be cycled in a similar manner as the play mode button.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:34 am

Thanks for the suggestion, LucidMusicInc.
This is actually already part of the tasklist.
There's no concrete concept yet, so it might take a while until it becomes real, but it's planned.

The Idea is to have multiple (let's say 8) Multi-Mute configs per Pattern.
Not sure if Multi-Solos would be helpful. Somehow I don't think that this whould give you more freedom (to be decided).

Furthermore there will be a new mute/solo mechanism to place scheduled mutes/solos (to be executed at the end of the running bar).

But please don't expect it before 2016. There are too many other (more urgent) tasks waiting.
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:52 pm

You can just call me Lucid ;)

I agree that the multimute suggestion isn't a high priority, I was just suggesting it as a way of making it a little more interesting. But I've got the track muting workflow under control now. And I just figured out how to apply the master fx to an entire patternset.

I've got some deep house on the way for the forum. Very likely I'll have a continuous mix up of about 45 minutes soon as well. I'm having a lot of fun since I got Stomper running to proper spec on the new Asus.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 pm

LucidMusicInc wrote:You can just call me Lucid ;)

Hehe, yeah;)

LucidMusicInc wrote:I agree that the multimute suggestion isn't a high priority, I was just suggesting it as a way of making it a little more interesting.

Fully agree. The multi-mute is one of the.. let's say... a bit hidden features. It would definitely be cool to get it a bit more focused.
Also a multi mute switch on the mixer view would probably be nice (at the free spot at the lower left corner).

LucidMusicInc wrote:I've got some deep house on the way for the forum. Very likely I'll have a continuous mix up of about 45 minutes soon as well. I'm having a lot of fun since I got Stomper running to proper spec on the new Asus.

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to hear the result.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”