Kaossilator ( KAOSS PAD )

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Francey pants

Kaossilator ( KAOSS PAD )

Postby Francey pants » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:14 pm

Ok so I am buying a nexus 9 tablet and want to know the exact configurations to enable me to affect patterns in GS. I am guessing I would use my OTG cable, but not sure when using an fx unit like the Kaossilator. 8-) I have searched the forum and have not found clear instructions on this, so I apologize if this might be repeated. Looking for step by step instructions with dealing with latency and what not. I saw the Youtube videos of this, so I know it's possible,. tHANKS
planet-h

Re: Kaossilator ( KAOSS PAD )

Postby planet-h » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:20 am

Francey pants wrote:Ok so I am buying a nexus 9 tablet and want to know the exact configurations to enable me to affect patterns in GS. I am guessing I would use my OTG cable, but not sure when using an fx unit like the Kaossilator. 8-) I have searched the forum and have not found clear instructions on this, so I apologize if this might be repeated. Looking for step by step instructions with dealing with latency and what not. I saw the Youtube videos of this, so I know it's possible,. tHANKS

Regarding the MIDI connection:
http://www.planet-h.com/documentation/midi/
There you'll find exactly what you need.

Also look at the MIDI docs at:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm

If you have a specific question with an exact goal, I can of course give you a step by step walkthrough.
But it's impossible to write an overall step by step description. That would be 100 pages long;)

What is it you want to do exactly with your kaoss pad?
What you mean exactly with "affect patterns"?

What kind of MIDI connection do you want to create?
Do you just want to receive MIDI from the Kaoss Pad?
Or do you also want to fire MIDI from G-Stomper towards the Kaoss Pad? (I don't know if the Kaoss Pad allows that)

What latency do you mean?
If you mean the audio latency... there's nothing to deal with. The only thing you have to do is to select 'OpenSL' in the G-Stomper Setup as advised when you start the app for the first time, and optionally set the latency level to low. Once you did both G-Stomper will run at around 5ms of internal latency on your N9.
Francey pants

Postby Francey pants » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:25 pm

Ok so basically I just want to affect a sound in GS. For example I might want to create a stutter effect of a drum beat, or mess with a sample to mangle it or ad an interesting delay. Can this be done per track ( TO1, TO2 ect.. ) or would it affect the whole composition on all tracks at one time. Nothing real complicated.Thanks :D
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:42 am

Francey pants wrote:Ok so basically I just want to affect a sound in GS. For example I might want to create a stutter effect of a drum beat, or mess with a sample to mangle it or ad an interesting delay. Can this be done per track ( TO1, TO2 ect.. ) or would it affect the whole composition on all tracks at one time. Nothing real complicated.Thanks :D

Yes, you can either map every sampler track with a separate MIDI channel or you can map a single MIDI channel to the currently selected Track (which changes dynamically when you select another track).

First of all, clear the default MIDI channel mappings:
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Gobal Channel, Interface / Clear
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Sampler Channels, Interfaces / Clear all
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / VA-Beast Synthesizer Channels, Interfaces / Clear all

Then you have to map, let's say the selected sampler channel as an example, to the channel you want to:
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Sampler Channels, Interfaces / Selected Track T[..] / Learn / (then turn a knob on the KAOSS pad to learn the channel)

Once the MIDI channel is mapped, you need to map the controllers to the particular G-Stomper parameters:
The sampler Tracks have a good amount of default MIDI CC mappings, which you can either use as they are, or you can learn your own MIDI CC mappings.
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Sampler CC Mappings / <click the param name you want to map> / Learn / (then turn the desired knob on the KAOSS pad to learn the CC number).

For all parameters or functions in G-Stomper, which are not bound to a particular Sampler or VA-Beast track (the Stutter or R-Arp for example), you need to configure the global MIDI channel. This must of course be a different one than the one you've used for the selected sampler track. I don't own a KAOSS pad, so I cannot say you how to configure the different sections of knobs of the pad to send different MIDI channels, but I'm sure that's possible.
Once you have a knob on your KAOSS pad, which sends cc data to a different channel than the one configured for the selected Sampler track, map the global channel and the cc for the Stutter effect.

Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Gobal Channel, Interface / Learn / (then turn the prepared knob on the KAOSS pad to learn the channel)

Then map the cc:
Main Screen / Setup / MIDI / Global CC,NRPN Mappings / <scroll down and click the 'Sequencer: Stutter Rate' parameter> / Learn (then turn the prepared knob on the KAOSS pad to learn the channel)
In fact, you need 2 parameters mapped to operate the Stutter. The second required parameter is the 'Sequencer: Stutter ON/OFF'.

Note: The Global Channel has no default CC mappings, so for everything you want to control remotely, you need to learn a CC.

Also be sure to give the MIDI docs a closer look:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm
It explains all details about the G-Stomper MIDI integration as well as the default CC and Key mappings for all sections.
Francey pants

Postby Francey pants » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Very cool, I know this will help for sure. thanks again., :D

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”