pseudo-multisample setup for breakbeat cutups

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
LilFonky

pseudo-multisample setup for breakbeat cutups

Postby LilFonky » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:48 pm

I've been reading the manual and playing with the demo of G-stomper and so far I really like it. I plan to use it in conjunction with another sequencer and would like to know if it's possible to set each track to respond only to a single midi note value. I'd like to be able to slice a breakbeat in an external editor and then load a single hit per track. The plan would be to set every track to the same midi channel, then have each track triggered by a different midi note so that I can re-sequence the break using a standard midi keyboard. The manual states that all the tracks can respond to a single MIDI channel but can I do one-sample-per-note? Or will I be triggering every track simultaneously with each and every MIDI note? It's not entirely clear in the documentation.

I'd like to use g-stomper as essentially a drum sample module to be controlled by an external sequencer (e-mu xl-7) without soaking up 12 MIDI channels in the process. If this is not possible I'd like to enter this as a feature request, because this a make-or-break requirement for me.

Thanks!
planet-h

Re: pseudo-multisample setup for breakbeat cutups

Postby planet-h » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:31 am

Welcome to the forum, LilFonky.

LilFonky wrote:I've been reading the manual and playing with the demo of G-stomper and so far I really like it. I plan to use it in conjunction with another sequencer and would like to know if it's possible to set each track to respond only to a single midi note value. I'd like to be able to slice a breakbeat in an external editor and then load a single hit per track. The plan would be to set every track to the same midi channel, then have each track triggered by a different midi note so that I can re-sequence the break using a standard midi keyboard. The manual states that all the tracks can respond to a single MIDI channel but can I do one-sample-per-note? Or will I be triggering every track simultaneously with each and every MIDI note? It's not entirely clear in the documentation.

I'd like to use g-stomper as essentially a drum sample module to be controlled by an external sequencer (e-mu xl-7) without soaking up 12 MIDI channels in the process. If this is not possible I'd like to enter this as a feature request, because this a make-or-break requirement for me.

Thanks!

You have the full freedom how you assign MIDI Channels and Notes to the drum samplers.

You can set a MIDI channel for each Drum Sampler Track and play them tonal over MIDI.
But you can also use the "global channel" and the "global key mappings" to play all drum sampler tracks over one single MIDI channel using either the default global key (note) mappings or assign your own key mappings.
For more details see
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc423437793
and
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc423437805

(I've just added some clearer explanation about the global sampler track mappings in the docs for the upcoming version 4.4)

Does this answer your question?

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”