Best Tablet

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
planet-h

Re: Best Tablet

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:16 pm

Cire86 wrote:So this means the view is smaller on this tablet,its a little bit bad but now i have ordered it and so i use it because the performance

I'd rather say this tablet has the wrong screen ratio for G-Stomper Studio (that's what I mentioned as the only downside of the tablet in the previous answers).
The app on the other hand is designed for 16:9, unfortunately there's no way to use the extended height of a 4:3 screen.
But we're talking about 10mm on each side, you'll see it's not that bad.
Having a stretched screen would look much worse (it was that way at the beginning).
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I just looked around in other forums about it and all people say that 4:3 is best for a tablet of this size so now i'm realy glad i bought one thanks again for clearing this out for me,now i just have to wait 2 days till i can test it by myself :cry:
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Cire86 wrote:I just looked around in other forums about it and all people say that 4:3 is best for a tablet of this size so now i'm realy glad i bought one thanks again for clearing this out for me,now i just have to wait 2 days till i can test it by myself :cry:

You're welcome:) And yes, you're right, 4:3 is indeed the better ratio for tablets, especially for browsing the internet or any other kind of reading.
If this ratio will catch up to the 16:9 (at the moment it's still less than 5% of the devices), then I'll definitely add more controls on the views for such screens.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:52 pm

On this video clip you can see how the letterboxing looks like (the device on top):

Btw. the built in front facing speakers are absolutely top notch. I usually don't use the on board speakers of my devices, but the the nexus 9 changed my mind;) 8-)
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:25 am

Yeah it realy doesnt look so bad as i tought,and the thing with the speakers sounds great so far. My phone is a htc one m8 so i realy know that htc makes realy good onboard speakers. Im so excited :D
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:59 pm

Are there any good news about the android 6 update since the first patch is available?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 am

Cire86 wrote:Are there any good news about the android 6 update since the first patch is available?

Unfortunately not.
I mean, it works well on Android 6, meanwhile I got 6.0.1 on my Nexus 9.
But the performance cannot hold up with Android 5.1 on the N9.
If Latency and best performance is important for you, I'd still stay with Android 5.

If there are any news about this, I'll post it here.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:17 am

Cire86 wrote:Are there any good news about the android 6 update since the first patch is available?

I've just downgraded my N9 today and went back to Android 5.1.1 (build LMY48T).
Even if Android 6 has some nice features, it simply cannot hold up with the performance of 5.1.1 (at least not on the N9).
First boot, first GSS start, ... et voilà, GSS running smooth at 5ms latency again.

And it's not only the audio apps, it feels like the complete system is running way smoother on 5.1.1.
I hope google gets this fixed someday, hopefully in 6.1, but until that is gonna happen, I recommend everyone with a N9 to keep Android 5.1.1.
whiteturbo

Postby whiteturbo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Hi,
Long time no see Lol, Well that Sony Z4 tablet was a let down, Beautiful looking tablet but terrible Audio latency, and it was/is very expensive.
Surprisingly things dont seem to have moved very much in the Android world and it seems the Nexus 9 is still favorite and because of the Pixel C release it is dropping in price, aprox £250 for 32gb model but does anyone know what the Nvidia Shield TV console latency is because it is advertised as having, and i quote:-

SHIELD supports 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI. It also supports high-res audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB and high-res audio upsample to 24-bit/192 hHz over USB.

Or is this more snake-oil salesman false promise's ?

In my situation this setup would work as most of my time is spent in front of my TV which is my monitor for my PC and £150 seems quite reasonable for a static setup. What do you think? And finally I cant find any info about the Samsung tab S2's latency although its predecessor the Tab S1 seemed reasonable.

My old Transformer Prime is now painful to use and the keyboard section has been ditched as it developed a fault so i must get something Android flavoured very soon(like next week) so i am desperate.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:44 pm

whiteturbo wrote:Hi,
Long time no see Lol, Well that Sony Z4 tablet was a let down, Beautiful looking tablet but terrible Audio latency, and it was/is very expensive.
Surprisingly things dont seem to have moved very much in the Android world and it seems the Nexus 9 is still favorite and because of the Pixel C release it is dropping in price, aprox £250 for 32gb model but does anyone know what the Nvidia Shield TV console latency is because it is advertised as having, and i quote:-

SHIELD supports 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass through over HDMI. It also supports high-res audio playback up to 24-bit/192 kHz over HDMI and USB and high-res audio upsample to 24-bit/192 hHz over USB.

Absolutely agree about the Nexus9, as long as you run it on Android 5.1.1. On Android 6 (marshmallow) there are problems, with the latency and also with the overall performance.

Regarding the SHIELD tablet, I guess you refer to that one, right? http://www.gsmarena.com/nvidia_shield-6601.php or is there a newer one?
I had one of those to test with, but I must say the performance was a bit disappointing, and so was the latency.

Generally, USB audio is possible on most modern Android devices (at least at 24bit/96kHz). But the problem with the USB audio interfaces is that the latency is much higher than if you use the headphone jack. The one and only exception is Audio Evolution Mobile, since the wrote their own usb audio driver from scratch.

whiteturbo wrote:Or is this more snake-oil salesman false promise's ?

In my situation this setup would work as most of my time is spent in front of my TV which is my monitor for my PC and £150 seems quite reasonable for a static setup. What do you think? And finally I cant find any info about the Samsung tab S2's latency although its predecessor the Tab S1 seemed reasonable.

My old Transformer Prime is now painful to use and the keyboard section has been ditched as it developed a fault so i must get something Android flavoured very soon(like next week) so i am desperate.

I don't know about the S2 in detail, but most Samsung tablets have a similar latency.

Nexus 9 (Android 5.1.1): AudioTrack = 42ms, OpenSL = stable at 5ms (on Android 6, it runs smooth at 40ms, not lower)
Samsung Galaxy S5 phone (Android 5.0): AudioTrack = 80ms, OpenSL = stable at 20ms (optional, but hard to the cpu: 10ms)
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2 (Android 5.1.1): AudioTrack = 40ms, OpenSL= stable at 10ms
LG G3 phone: AudioTrack = 40ms, OpenSL = stable at 5ms

Generally, most samsung tablets run by default on AudioTrack at 80ms, but all of them work well with OpenSL, at least at 20ms or even 10ms.
My personal experience with the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro was, against my expectation, very good. The gtab pro tablets are great devices, and they all are very well manufactured. The downside is that they're expensive (actually all good Samsung devices are).

So bottom line:
I would still go for the Nexus 9 and would stay on Android 5.1.1 (only on the Nexus 9).
For its current price there's nothing comparable. The Krait CPU is simply better than most others (the LG G3 phone has almost the same CPU built in).

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”