Best Tablet

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
planet-h

Re: Best Tablet

Postby planet-h » Fri May 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Today I gave the Nexus 9 another go with Android Marshmallow (6.0.1) to check if there have been any performance improvement with the latest builds from google.
Unfortunately, the Nexus 9 performance is still way better with Android 5.1.1.
Honestly, running the Nexus 9 on Android 6.0.1 is simply not satisfying. It overall feels sluggish, and the audio performance is moderate, not what I know from the N9.
I also cleared the cache, reformatted the cache partition, made a factory reset, the full program. But nothing really brought it up to speed with Android 6.0.1.

So far the bad news.
But there are good news too... ;) I wouldn't have posted without having a good ending.

Since I flashed the nexus anyway, I quickly updated it with the latest Android N (7.0) preview from google (actually everybody can opt in to the preview to get an OTA update).
And immediately all was good again. Performance like expected ... , G-Stomper Studio runs as smooth as with Android 5.1.1, and even better, it seems to have more performance headroom than on Android 5.1.1.
Also, it seems that the tablet is getting less warm than with Android 5.1.1.
(for the records, with Android 6.0.1, the tablet felt like a hot-water bag within minutes)

So bottom line, all is good again, Google has solved the problems.

For those who want to test the Android N preview, here's the link:
https://developer.android.com/preview/download.html
Just keep in mind that updating to Android N preview requires a full device reset, so be sure to backup your data first.
Also don't forget that it actually is a preview, in other words a beta, which might contain bugs.
But so far it runs rock solid on my N9.
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Sat May 28, 2016 12:40 am

Hey that's great news! I thought something seemed off with the latest official release update, but it wasn't anythiny catestrophic.

Glad to know the fix is on the way. I may have to test this outyself soon on my N9
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat May 28, 2016 6:58 am

EIPStudiosOhio wrote:Hey that's great news! I thought something seemed off with the latest official release update, but it wasn't anythiny catestrophic.

Glad to know the fix is on the way. I may have to test this outyself soon on my N9

Ah, OK. Thought you were one of those who kept Android 5.1.1.
I personally was so dissatisfied by the N9 performance using Android 6, that I rolled it back to Android 5.1.1 few months ago.

But since I had to test the upcoming GSS update, I had update to Android 6 again, ... and finally to Android N preview;)
After a bit of research, it appears that the device encryption, which was introduced with Android 6, is part of the problems, and obviously Google massively improved that in Android N.
dnswr

Postby dnswr » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:32 pm

I have a NViDIA K1 tablet. It is perfect and got quick quadcore.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:00 am

Good news for Nexus 9 users!!
After a painful year with Android Marshmallow, Android 7.0 (Nougat) final release arrived yesterday.
Finally the Nexus 9 got all its power back ;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:13 am

Time has passed and I think it's a good moment to bring this discussion back on the table.
Google's release of Android 7 included some significant improvements for Performance and Audio Latency.

Best choices are still Google devices:

Tablets: Nexus 9, Pixel C
Phones: Nexus6P, Nexus 5X
(all updated to Android 7.x)

But practically all devices of the upper price segment which run Android N (7.x) will fit very well.

Huawei, LG: I heard a lot about good results with Huawei and LG phones.

Samsung: I cannot say anything about Samsung yet, as they do not even mention the existence of Android 7.x yet (correct me if I'm wrong). As far as I see, even their latest devices are still shipped with Android 6.x, and it will probably take another 6 months until Android N hits the first Samsung devices. Samsung overall works solid, but their audio latency is rather high.

Sony: Sony phones work pretty good, not outstanding, but solid. And they usually get their Android updates pretty quick.
Nvidia: The latest Shield tablets also work well, not comparable to a google device, but also solid. And Nvidia is very fast with Android updates.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”