Midi Issues

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
planet-h

Re: Midi Issues

Postby planet-h » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:44 pm

I just checked the m-audio website. Looks like the M-Audio Oxygen 25 3rd gen is a class compliant device. So you won't have problems I guess.
Also nice is the Akai MPK Mini MKII, also with 25 keys.

Depends on what you want to do (the size I mean). I'm very happy with an Akai 25 keys.
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:56 pm

Is it possible the MIDI issues are related to Android OS 5.1? I have heard of users' headaches and performance issues on a variety of music programs since updating their devices to 5.1....

This is why I am hesitant to change my OS...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 am

EIPStudiosOhio wrote:Is it possible the MIDI issues are related to Android OS 5.1? I have heard of users' headaches and performance issues on a variety of music programs since updating their devices to 5.1....

This is why I am hesitant to change my OS...

No, not MIDI issues. There are actually issues on Android 5.1+, but only on devices with high screen resolutions (2560x1600 and higher). They have obviously messed up the adreno graphics driver. I've reported the bug to google but got no reaction so far. I've also tested Android M these days, unfortunately they still didn't fix it there :/

At the beginning it was indeed a headache, but no longer for G-Stomper. I found a way to work around that bug, so it's no longer an issue. But for other apps it might be.

I've running Android 5.1/5.1.1 on all my devices, without any problems.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:55 pm

AndreasH wrote:Hi!

I'm having trouble getting my midi controller (Akai Mpk Mini mk2) to work with G-Stomper Studio on my Nexus 5. I connect the controller, I get a message "USB MIDI Device "AKAI Mpkmini2"has been detached", but I can't use it. Nothing happens when I press the keys. I have checked my settings, and VT01 is set to all channels. Caustic works with the controller, and when I start Caustic I get the question whether I want to give Caustic access to the USB device. This message usually doesn't appear when I start G-Stomper, although it has appeared once or twice, but even when giving access I can't get it to work.
Any help?

Thank you in advance!

/Andreas Hygrell

EDIT: I have noticed that the "giving access to USB device"-window does appear every time, I just have to wait a bit. But that still doesnt solve the issue, no notes are played when I press the controller.

Hi Andreas
After longer research it appeared to be a bug in the midi connection handling.
I'm gonna mail you a download link to a pre-release in a minute.
It would be very nice if you could give it a check.

Thanks a lot
AndreasH

Postby AndreasH » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi!
I am happy to be able to tell you that it works without problems! Thank you for fixing the issue!

/Andreas
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:44 pm

Excellent, that's great news.
Thanks a lot for testing it.

The bug fix will go live with the next update.
rejectus corpus

Postby rejectus corpus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:02 am

Hello. I am using g stomper studio a galaxy mega 6.3 with android 4.4 and am having a problem connecting a korg nanokontrol. Im connecting directly with a usb but the controller doesnt even show up in the midi dialog box. Im not sure if its a power issue or a compatibility issue. If anyone has used the korg nanokontrol with g stomper or has any ideas about what I could do to be able to use it I would greatly appreciate the info.

P.s. I also have tried to use my korg kaoss pad as a midi controller and it doesnt show up in the midi box, and it has its own power supply. Any info will help, thanks
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:35 am

rejectus corpus wrote:Hello. I am using g stomper studio a galaxy mega 6.3 with android 4.4 and am having a problem connecting a korg nanokontrol. Im connecting directly with a usb but the controller doesnt even show up in the midi dialog box.

When you say "midi dialog box", you mean the MIDI tab in the settings dialog within the G-Stomper app? Is this correct?

rejectus corpus wrote:Im not sure if its a power issue or a compatibility issue. If anyone has used the korg nanokontrol with g stomper or has any ideas about what I could do to be able to use it I would greatly appreciate the info.

P.s. I also have tried to use my korg kaoss pad as a midi controller and it doesnt show up in the midi box, and it has its own power supply. Any info will help, thanks

I'd say it's neither a power issue nor an incompatibility problem. The Korg nano control should work out of the box.
Also the Kaoss pad should work without problem.

Did you ever connect one or both of your midi controllers to this android device using a different app, and then clicked on "use always" to set this app as default? If yes, then G-Stomper won't be considered by the OS to be used with the MIDI device, since another app is already set by default.
If so, then you have to remove that default setting:
System Settings / Default applications

If you never used your controllers on that android device:
When you plug the korg nano control in over usb, does some kind of popup show up on the screen? Usually the android os as well as the G-Stomper app asks for permission in that popup. If you don't see such a popup, then I suspect that your usb otg converter cable or the usb cable itself might be buggy.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:22 am

To test your USB otg converter cable, just try to hook up an usb mouse to it.
If the mouse works, then the converter cable is fine.
rejectus corpus

Postby rejectus corpus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 am

Thanks for the great info. I had never used the nanocontrol on this device before but I reset the defaults anyway and checked the otg converter. It seems that the otg converter that was given to me had a bad connection or something. I hooked a mouse up to it and it only worked when i jiggled the connector. I got a new otg converter today and it recognized the nano as soon as it was hooked up. Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”