Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
elmojames

midi files

Postby elmojames » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm

Can I import a standard midi file?
planet-h

Re: midi files

Postby planet-h » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:21 am

elmojames wrote:Can I import a standard midi file?

No, not yet.
This might be included in some future release. But it's not yet on the high priority list.
The next big midi update will bring full midi control (but not yet midi import/export)
Astrodynamics

Postby Astrodynamics » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:08 pm

Hello,
Is It possible actually ?
I would like to buy G-Stomper but i need this function.
Thanks
G.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:30 pm

Astrodynamics wrote:Hello,
Is It possible actually ?
I would like to buy G-Stomper but i need this function.
Thanks
G.

No, it's not yet integrated.
It's planned and in progressed, but it's not finished yet.
Just keep in mind, that it won't be possible to import complete MIDI songs.
G-Stomper is a pattern sequencer, a step sequencer based groovebox workstation, therefore all music you create is based on patterns.
Therefore the MIDI import process will be different from loading a MIDI file to Cubase for example.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:06 am

Astrodynamics - If you are thinking of buying,, things sometimes don't work like a DAW, and it can be hard to get past this just on the demo. Things like... instead of being able to create a 1 bar clip playing alongside an 8 bar clip, you get auto clone bars to replicate that 1 bar across the other bars. It's a different approach, but it is really flexible, and you discover new possibilities that would be hard to do even in a desktop DAW or soft synth. And I don't think anything else on mobile has anything like the same level of live control possibilities. GSS does have midi export, for taking your tunes back into a DAW.
Mr Planet - It wouldn't be possible to import a whole song, but it would still be brilliant to be able to import midi into the patterns. Logically, yeah it's complicated though! How do you allocate midi channels to VA Beast tracks? Sampler tracks can be seen as midi notes within a drum channel starting with the kick drum at c2/note 36 - or as melodic channels with a sequence of notes. Import drum midi channel would probably have to be a separate function to importing channels of melodic information into synth and sampler tracks. Drums are often, but not always on channel 10. In GM midi, the toms and hihats are mixed together, which doesn't really make sense in a GSS sound set. Etc, etc, etc!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:20 pm

Folkdisco wrote:Mr Planet - It wouldn't be possible to import a whole song, but it would still be brilliant to be able to import midi into the patterns. Logically, yeah it's complicated though! How do you allocate midi channels to VA Beast tracks? Sampler tracks can be seen as midi notes within a drum channel starting with the kick drum at c2/note 36 - or as melodic channels with a sequence of notes. Import drum midi channel would probably have to be a separate function to importing channels of melodic information into synth and sampler tracks. Drums are often, but not always on channel 10. In GM midi, the toms and hihats are mixed together, which doesn't really make sense in a GSS sound set. Etc, etc, etc!

On the point, Folkdisco, as always;).
Yes, importing MIDI into patterns is a tricky task, as there are a lot of unknown variables. That's why it has been laid on ice for so long.
The plan is that you (the user) have the choice what you want to import and where you want to import it (in what tracks).
I'm experimenting with it at the moment. It is quite a lot of work to get this under control, but it's doable.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:19 am

I think any kind of midi import would be appreciated by those users trying to import songs from another DAW.
Maybe import 8 bars into the current pattern starting at a specified bar in the midi file.
Channels 1-13 go to VA 1-12. Maybe channel 10 from the midi from c1 to b2 to go into the sampler tracks T1-T24. Ignore any channels where the tracks are inactive.
If you want to add an Easter egg, a "midi drum channel redirect for b0" would be nice. That 2nd kick on b0 is a PITA! I would shove that up to T23/GM vibraslap. Other people might want to add it to c1. But hey, if I'm bothered, I can sort all that out in a DAW.
I am sure there may be complications with different time signatures, and maybe having to auto set the time signature on the pattern in GSS, etc.
Yes, automatically redirecting midi notes to differently ordered tracks could be useful, but I could see it getting complicated on your side, and we can always create a user sound set that matches our midi file.
This is already easy peasy and flexible in GSS.
But just any midi import, however simple, would be nice, even if it doesn't cope so well with different time signatures, or changing time signatures.
BTW, I wrote on another post how much I love the SFZ import. It's just brilliant, no user options and it works fantastically. It means you can do the complicated stuff on a big screen, and the cool stuff in GSS.
I think that approach might work well for midi too.
Always, always IMHO, and with deference to an already great product.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am

Folkdisco wrote:I think any kind of midi import would be appreciated by those users trying to import songs from another DAW.
Maybe import 8 bars into the current pattern starting at a specified bar in the midi file.
Channels 1-13 go to VA 1-12. Maybe channel 10 from the midi from c1 to b2 to go into the sampler tracks T1-T24. Ignore any channels where the tracks are inactive.
If you want to add an Easter egg, a "midi drum channel redirect for b0" would be nice. That 2nd kick on b0 is a PITA! I would shove that up to T23/GM vibraslap. Other people might want to add it to c1. But hey, if I'm bothered, I can sort all that out in a DAW.
I am sure there may be complications with different time signatures, and maybe having to auto set the time signature on the pattern in GSS, etc.
Yes, automatically redirecting midi notes to differently ordered tracks could be useful, but I could see it getting complicated on your side, and we can always create a user sound set that matches our midi file.
This is already easy peasy and flexible in GSS.
But just any midi import, however simple, would be nice, even if it doesn't cope so well with different time signatures, or changing time signatures.
BTW, I wrote on another post how much I love the SFZ import. It's just brilliant, no user options and it works fantastically. It means you can do the complicated stuff on a big screen, and the cool stuff in GSS.
I think that approach might work well for midi too.
Always, always IMHO, and with deference to an already great product.

Thanks for the input, Folkdisco.
Yes, it's kinda tricky.
The MIDI track mapping (to GSS internals) is already done.
For the note/key mapping in the percussion channel 10, there will probably be some module in the settings, or maybe even in the midi import workflow (it's not nailed yet).
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Just a quick update:
After the first week of experimenting with a wide range of MIDI files, I can now confirm that MIDI import will be definitely part of the next official update.
The MIDI importer will be able to import complete songs in form of a pattern set including the song arrangement.
Thanks to the micro steps, even the weirdest timing will work.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm

A big, big thank you for this.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”