flam

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
dyadyalyonya

flam

Postby dyadyalyonya » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Thank you for your excellent program. I am beginner drummer and i use gstomper for my exercises.

Some of my exercises includes flam rudiment. Maybe you know it.
A flam consists of two single strokes played by alternating hands. The first stroke is a quieter grace note followed by a louder primary stroke on the opposite hand. The two notes are played almost simultaneously, and are intended to sound like a single, broader note.

I don't know how to imitate flam in gstomper. Is it possible? Should i make special user sample for flam?
planet-h

Re: flam

Postby planet-h » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:01 pm

Welcome to the forum dyadyalyonya.
And thank you for your feedback.

You can try to imitate this using the roll feature on the main drum machine view. But I guess it's not fast enough.
What you also can try is to use the "stereo enhancer" effect in one of the fx slots and then send the sample through it.

The stereo enhancer is a 2 tap delay which delays the channels separately. If you want to hear the complete frequency range of the originial sample in the delays, be sure to check the second param page of the effect 'P3-4' and adjust the high pass filter, so that it lets the most possible frequency range through (zero position).

Hope this helps to achieve what you're looking for
dyadyalyonya

Postby dyadyalyonya » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:56 am

Hello, thank you for your answers.

I've tried your recommendations, talk to my teacher and have some thoughts to share:

Both methods are not exactly imitate flam.
First (quiet) stroke of flam should be played before the second (louder stroke). Louder stroke should be played on metronome tick. Quiet stroke should be before metronome tick.
You can see flam at this page:http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments/20flam.php
In piano terms "flam" equals to "Vorschlag" or "Acciaccatura".

But, do not consider this as a feature request. I understand that flams are far out of scope of groovebox concept. Maybe in the future, if you will want to make most advanced drum machine in the world, you should think about flams and other drum specific features.

I discuss my usage of G-Stomper with my teacher. He do not recommend me to use any drum saples in my exercises. It is bad for my "feel of time". Instead he recommends me to use simple sequences of chords, or bass samples. So imitation of flams is not actual for me now.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Thank you for your explanation, dyadyalyonya.

I'm no drummer, therefore the explanation helped a lot to understand what exactly it should do.
If the louder stroke should be on the metronome tick, then it's quite simple to produce it using the regular accentuation.
If you want an example (maybe for later use), I can create one or two for you and send them over by mail.

Just let me know.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”