Pads/Recording/Realtime

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
kwattro

Pads/Recording/Realtime

Postby kwattro » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Hello,
What do I need to do to hear the pads that I'm pressing during my recording? As of now, when I tap the pads they are silent. What's going on?
Thanks in advance
planet-h

Re: Pads/Recording/Realtime

Postby planet-h » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:26 am

kwattro wrote:Hello,
What do I need to do to hear the pads that I'm pressing during my recording? As of now, when I tap the pads they are silent. What's going on?
Thanks in advance

Hi kwattro
The playback of the pads is disabled because of the too high audio latency.
If you would hear the playback, it would more confuse than help, since the latency is more than 40ms (can be up to 160ms).
But this will change pretty soon.. This autumn Google will roll out Android L, which will allow much lower latency times out of the box.
With a latency around 20ms or lower I'll enable the playback while recording.
Andreas
kwattro

Postby kwattro » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:16 pm

planeth wrote:
kwattro wrote:Hello,
Thanks in advance

Hi kwattro
The playback of the pads is disabled because of the too high audio latency.
If you would hear the playback, it would more confuse than help, since the latency is more than 40ms (can be up to 160ms).
But this will change pretty soon.. This autumn Google will roll out Android L, which will allow much lower latency times out of the box.
With a latency around 20ms or lower I'll enable the playback while recording.
Andreas

Thank you for the quick response,
So, currently I am using Supreme MPA for my drum sequencing and I can hear all of my sounds while I record in realtime. MPA has 10 banks of 16 pads but no effects. Why is it that with some apps you can hear the playback while recording and with G-Stomper you cant?
I cant wait to purchase the app and start using it...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:46 pm

kwattro wrote:Thank you for the quick response,
So, currently I am using Supreme MPA for my drum sequencing and I can hear all of my sounds while I record in realtime. MPA has 10 banks of 16 pads but no effects. Why is it that with some apps you can hear the playback while recording and with G-Stomper you cant?
I cant wait to purchase the app and start using it...

As already mentioned, the reason why the playback is disabled while recording is the relatively long audio latency.
The audio latency depends on the hardware, but also (and maybe even more) on the technology on which the application is built.

Supreme MPA is built on the native android layer, which means in other words it's built very close to the hardware. This allows lower latencies on some devices, but also bring a bunch of problems. Therefore MPA simply does not work on some devices, e.g. if the hardware architecture is not supported. Due to the fragmentation of the android devices this is not a minor issue (fragmentation = many different hardware and many different regular and modified android versions).

G-Stomper on the other hand, is built on a hardware independent layer, which makes it compatible and working on every single android device as long as it's running on Android 3.1 or higher. Therefore there is not a single issue like "no sound" or similar. The downside of this architecture is the fact that ultra low latencies are not yet possible. Currently on android 4.x the lowest possible latency is around 35ms on the nexus devices. With the upcoming Android L this will change.
And of course I'll enable the playback for devices with low latency support on Android L (e.g. the upcoming nexus 8).
derrtiblu

Postby derrtiblu » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Ok. I have the same app as well but harder two customize without ol' style recording blind two me basically. I'll wait and and sea what rolls. Thanx
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 am

derrtiblu wrote:Ok. I have the same app as well but harder two customize without ol' style recording blind two me basically. I'll wait and and sea what rolls. Thanx

Btw. this has changed meanwhile. If your device runs on an audio latency less or equal than 20ms, then you'll rear the recorded pads in real-time.

Tested devices that work with the experimental low-latency audio system:
Google Nexus 7 2013, Android 4.4: 20ms
Google Nexus 7 2013, Android 5: 10ms
Google Nexus 9, Android 5: 10ms

(the low latency audio system won't work with older, low powered devices)

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”