back to basics

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
luthien

back to basics

Postby luthien » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Hello!

I need some help with some very basic stuff since i am very new to g-stomper and pattern sequencers in general.
i have no problem making good beats and fooling around with some fx but i cant seem to get how to make those beats in to songs like the ones i hear others do. is it possible to play two patterns at the same time like in a regular daw or is g-stomper functioning in a whole different way?

i have tried to read the manual and watching the yt videos but i need some much more basic advice i think!

/ jacquline
planet-h

Re: back to basics

Postby planet-h » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:39 am

Hi Jacquline
Welcome to the forum :)

is it possible to play two patterns at the same time like in a regular daw or is g-stomper functioning in a whole different way?

One of the main differences between the Groovebox approach and an typical daw is that you don't arrange single tracks within a song. You're always arranging patterns, and the pattern contains the specific tracks. G-Stomper has a maximum of 24 concurrent tracks. So if you set your G-Stomper settings to 24 tracks, you have always 24 tracks in a pattern. With other words, no, you can't play 2 patterns at once, but you can play 24 tracks at once;).

Usually to start a song, you begin with a single pattern. Once you think the beat rocks, press 'select view' on the main screen and choose 'pattern set'. This will open up the pattern set view, in fact the pattern arranger (here you can have a max of 64 concurrent patterns loaded, 4 banks of 16). When the screen shows up, one of the pattern slots is red. This is the currently selected one. You can check this by pressing play to hear what this pattern sounds like.

Now long press that pattern slot to open the menu and choose 'copy pattern'. Then click on the destination slot, e.g. 2. Now you've created an identical copy of your pattern in slot 2. Now slot 2 should be red (selected). Now go back to the main screen and mute a few tracks of the pattern or make any changes you like, so that it sounds different than the original one. Then again to the pattern set. Click on 'PtrnSet Menu' and choose 'save pattern set' to save the complete set (including both patterns).

Once finished press play and switch between the two filled pattern slots (1 and 2). When you click on a pattern slot during playback, the new selected slot turns yellow, which means, it's a pending pattern change. In fact, the current pattern will play back until its end is reached, then it changes to the new selected one.
Play around a bit with that and you'll see..
There are also extended pattern change methods, but for now I would choose the single click (the standard one).
This is what the live pattern arranger is about.

Now, to automate that pattern changes, enable the song mode and press play +record. Then switch between the pattern slots during the playback/recording. Press stop again and while letting the song mode enabled press play. Et voila, you've recorded a pattern sequence, or in other words, a short song.
You can also create the song manually instead of live recording it, or you can edit a song manually after live recording it. For that just enable the song ed (in addition to the song mode). In that mode you can change the pattern slot for each song step, add/insert or remove steps.

Hope this help to begin with songs.
If you have further questions, just feel free to ask :)
luthien

Postby luthien » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:11 pm

Hey!

Thanx so much for the advice!
It all start to make a little more sense now, it i gonna be an epic groovy ride ^_^

/j
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:06 pm

You're welcome :) I'm glad that I was able to help.
Looking forward to hear your tracks;)
Offaksis

Postby Offaksis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Awesome! Thanks for that quick run-down on using the song mode...
I was somewhat on the right track, but i finally understand how to use it properly :) (will have to refer back to the manual on what the extended pattern changes are, further to the 'standard' ones)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 am

You're welcome Offaksis:)

Offaksis wrote:(will have to refer back to the manual on what the extended pattern changes are, further to the 'standard' ones)

If you use the standard pattern changes by clicking a pattern slot once, the current pattern runs until its end, then the pattern changes to the newly selected one. With the extended pattern changes (by clicking a slot twice or 3 times) you can jump to the next pattern at the end of the currently playing bar. This is very useful in live usage. And of course you can use/record the extended pattern changes in a song. With these extended pattern changes you can get a lot more variety to your songs without having more patterns ;)
Offaksis

Postby Offaksis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:40 pm

Ok cool, that sounds interesting. Will have to have a play around with these features.
Thanks for noting them down here for me! :) (bookmark to this topic page = done)

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”