Using G-Stomper Seq on Audiobus and Model D IOS

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Uctheuzi

Using G-Stomper Seq on Audiobus and Model D IOS

Postby Uctheuzi » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:11 am

Hi, first of all thanks to the developers for this amazing app.

Now the problem/Question, I want to use the g stomper sequencer to send midi notes to the Model D app on IOS and to Audiobus along with other Synth apps as well, I have managed to sync the midi clocks of both apps via bluetooth, but when I try to send or control other IOS synths with the G Stomper Keys nothing happens, I tried many settings on G stomper, normaly I set Channel 1 Input port: None Output port 1 on the VA Beast Synth but it doesnt seems to work, does anyone know how to set it up? Im Kinda confuse about the Ports settings since on Audiobus or the Synths on IOS only have Channels but not ports, so idk what Im doing wrong, thanks.
Also english is not my first languaje so sorry for the mistakes if any.
planet-h

Re: Using G-Stomper Seq on Audiobus and Model D IOS

Postby planet-h » Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:33 am

Welcome to the forum, Uctheuzi
And thanks for your message.

Uctheuzi wrote:Now the problem/Question, I want to use the g stomper sequencer to send midi notes to the Model D app on IOS and to Audiobus along with other Synth apps as well,

All you have to do is to set the correct MIDI channel, IN and OUT port + be sure that "Note Messages" are set to either "Send & Receive" or to "Send".
Furthermore, if you set the channel and ports of for example the "Selected Track VT[..], then you must select a one of the tracks before anything gets sent out.

Uctheuzi wrote:I have managed to sync the midi clocks of both apps via bluetooth,

I strongly recommend not to use MIDI clock sync over Bluetooth, as it's just the most unstable solution you'll find in the sequencer world.
I recommend to sync via Ableton Link over WiFi, it's way more stable, even more stable that MIDI clock over cable, and much easier to set up.
I'm pretty sure your iOS apps do support Ableton Link as well.

Uctheuzi wrote:but when I try to send or control other IOS synths with the G Stomper Keys nothing happens, I tried many settings on G stomper, normaly I set Channel 1 Input port: None Output port 1 on the VA Beast Synth but it doesnt seems to work, does anyone know how to set it up?

Which channel you have to set depends on the receiving synth. When the receiver is set to channel 3, then you must send the events to channel 3, and so on.
The easiest way to find out the channels is to enable bidirectional MIDI in and out. Then you can learn the channels in G-Stomper.

Uctheuzi wrote:Im Kinda confuse about the Ports settings since on Audiobus or the Synths on IOS only have Channels but not ports, so idk what Im doing wrong, thanks.
Also english is not my first languaje so sorry for the mistakes if any.

Ports are part of the USB MIDI specification. Using traditional DIN MIDI cables, you can actually only use 16 channels per cable. Means you control max 16 devices.
Over USB, there exist virtual MIDI cables (named "Ports"). There are 16 such port, where each can control 16 channels.
In most cases In and Out port should be set to 1. What you must set depends on your MIDI interface.

Hope that helps
Uctheuzi

Postby Uctheuzi » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:14 pm

Thanks for the reply, I tried yesterday the way you described but didnt work, I use Ableton Link to sync the midi clock and stuff with my wifi network and everything was good, but wasnt able to send midi notes to my IOS device, Do I need to conect the two devices with a cable or something else? Also midi learn didnt work as well, seems like they only in sync but not like "conected" to send notes, idk :? :?:
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:12 pm

Uctheuzi wrote:I use Ableton Link to sync the midi clock and stuff with my wifi network and everything was good

Ah, understood ==> What you do with Ableton Link is has actually nothing to do with MIDI clock.
Ableton Link is a way to sync multiple devices (over WiFi).
MIDI clock is another was to sync multiple devices (over MIDI using cables).

Uctheuzi wrote:, but wasnt able to send midi notes to my IOS device, Do I need to conect the two devices with a cable or something else? Also midi learn didnt work as well, seems like they only in sync but not like "conected" to send notes, idk :? :?:

As said above, Ableton Link has nothing to do with MIDI. It's an own protocol to be used over WiFi.
In order to send any MIDI events to another device, you must connect them using some MIDI interface on both sides, Android and iOS.
Something like this: https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... /part9.htm

MIDI over WiFi does factually not exist on Android, and MIDI over Bluetooth is a host ==> peripheral relationship. And since both devices, iOS and Android, are peripherals, you cannot send MIDI events over Bluetooth from one mobile device to another.

You must have a MIDI interface on both, and then connect these together.
Uctheuzi

Postby Uctheuzi » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Ahh yeah I understand now, Ableton Link and Midi Clock are diferent things, I was thinking Midi Clock was the result of Ableton Link :lol: sorry im relatively new to sync and conect devices .

MIDI over WiFi does factually not exist on Android, and MIDI over Bluetooth is a host ==> peripheral relationship. And since both devices, iOS and Android, are peripherals, you cannot send MIDI events over Bluetooth from one mobile device to another.

Ok then I need some cables, I guess the cable for android has to be Micro USB to MIDI and for IOS has to be Lighthing to MIDI? do I need some kind of "receptor" or "MIDI splitter or something like that? some type of processing unit for MIDI, or I need a cable that sends and other that receives? I know this doesnt have nothing to do with G Stomper at this point but im totally lost here, anyways, thanks for the reply, I might need to do some deeper research about the topic and experiment a little bit, thanks for the help all of this has been really useful to me.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:32 pm

If you only want to connect thr Android device to one iOS device, then a MIDI interface on each side, as you described, should be sufficient. Maybe you need cable adaptors or gender changers to connect each other. Generally all MIDI interfaces have at least one in and one out port, means they can send and receive.

If you want to connect more than one other devices, then a MIDI thru box can be helpful.
Uctheuzi

Postby Uctheuzi » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:52 pm

Ok then, Im gonna look up some cables on amazon and experiment a little bit, thank you so much.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”