Volume Level of User Sample

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
whatnot

Volume Level of User Sample

Postby whatnot » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:35 am

Hi

The volume of user sample in Audio Editor is high.
When I load the user sample to track pad the volume drops. "Norm" does not work.
I try to lower the loudness of other tracks to make the one with user sample to stand out, then the overall max volume of the app bacomes too low.

So the question is two-fold
- how to maintain the volume level of the user sample when loaded to track pad
- how to bring up the overall volume of the app. As an example: App XY sounds louder than GStomper.
Thank you!
Alex
planet-h

Re: Volume Level of User Sample

Postby planet-h » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks for your message, whatnot.

whatnot wrote:The volume of user sample in Audio Editor is high.

Yes, because it goes straight out to the output, without any mixer in between.

whatnot wrote:When I load the user sample to track pad the volume drops. "Norm" does not work.

Norm does work. It normalizes the sample to max output, before it passes the mixer. Normalizing a sample is just for maxing out a too low level recorded sample.
But keep in mind, if a low recorded sample has one single click that hits the -0dB limit, then normalizing has no effect. So in order to get the most effect of the sample normalizer, ensure that there is no high transient or other peak in the sample you use. You can eliminate that in the audio editor by simply cut it out. At least there you'll find the peak if there is any.

whatnot wrote:I try to lower the loudness of other tracks to make the one with user sample to stand out, then the overall max volume of the app bacomes too low.

It's not about loudness, it's about frequencies. If your speaker (whatever speaker you use) cannot play some very low or high frequencies well, then you simply won't hear them well on your speaker. Making it louder makes no difference in that case.

whatnot wrote:So the question is two-fold
- how to maintain the volume level of the user sample when loaded to track pad

See above.

whatnot wrote:- how to bring up the overall volume of the app. As an example: App XY sounds louder than GStomper.

G-Stomper fully focus on output quality. Making it louder results in micro distortion or in loss of dynamics.
Other apps might do that, G-Stomper does not.
What you can do is to use a Limiter in the Master (sum) FX slot to increase the volume (this is what other apps do without asking you).
whatnot

Postby whatnot » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Thanx a lot
The question of app's overall loudness is totally cleared up.
But the part of user sample loudness is still not so much)
The sample has no peaks
When played within audio editor it is loud, when loaded to pad - the loudness drops.
Even if I up the level in audio editor by "level +3 db" it does not affect the loudness of the sample loaded to tab.

May be I should ally Loudness FX to the track?
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:28 am

whatnot wrote:Thanx a lot
The question of app's overall loudness is totally cleared up.
But the part of user sample loudness is still not so much)

The sample has no peaks
When played within audio editor it is loud, when loaded to pad - the loudness drops.

Of course it does. As already explained, the audio editor straight out to the output, without any mixer in between.
The pads go through a track mixer (the sampler track level), then through the main mixer (the mixer channel level).
Furthermore, the sampler pads depend of "accentuation" and "velocity". Velocity is at 100% by default, but NOT accentuation.

General explanation of accent and velocity:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part37.htm

Accent in detail:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part38.htm

Velocity in detail:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part41.htm

If you rise the sampler track level and the related mixer channel volume both to 100%, and you place either accentuated steps or set the accent amount to 0 (which factually disables accentuation), then you get the same output level as from the audio editor.

Accentuated steps can be set in two different ways (see the following links):
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part39.htm
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... part40.htm

whatnot wrote:Even if I up the level in audio editor by "level +3 db" it does not affect the loudness of the sample loaded to tab.

May be I should ally Loudness FX to the track?

No. This would only end in clipping and a bad sounding mix.
I recommend to read the above doc chapters to understand the different parameters in the signal chain that reduce the level (for a reason).

Again:
1. Rise the sampler track level to 100%
2. Rise the related mixer channel volume to 100%
3. Either place accentuated steps or set the accent amount to 0 (which factually disables accentuation)

Then you get the same output level as from the audio editor.

Hope that answers your question.
whatnot

Postby whatnot » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:04 am

Sounds wonderful
Really wanna find my way around the system
Thanks a lot
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:46 am

whatnot wrote:Sounds wonderful
Really wanna find my way around the system