Function keys on Minilab MkII disconnects MIDI

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
LessThanClever

Function keys on Minilab MkII disconnects MIDI

Postby LessThanClever » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:38 am

Hi, and thanks for an amazing app!

I'm running the Producer with an Arturia Minilab MkII (firmware v1.1) to it (using a Xiami Mi 9t with Android 10). It works great and I've managed to create a lot of dedicated controls with it (even though I haven't got the faders to act right yet, but I've only tried the "relative" function as of yet).

The issue arises when I try to use some of the function keys on the Arturia ('shift', 'oct-', 'oct+' and 'pad-change'). Because the Arturia does indeed change the octave, or the midi-channel, or the preset for the whole controller, but the moment I press one of those function keys (doesn't matter which one), Producer stops receiving MIDI-messages from the controller.

I know that the Minilab isn't officially supported on Android, but if I change, lets say, the octave once. And then open the Producer app, then I can use the controller with the new octave. I tried searching this forum for a similar situation but couldn't find anything like it.

(and as a side note, do you have any plans to add a mapping for "Set scene: next scene" and "Set scene: previous scene"? it'd be sweet for midi controllers that doesn't have that many buttons to use that mapping)

Thanks!
planet-h

Re: Function keys on Minilab MkII disconnects MIDI

Postby planet-h » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:40 pm

LessThanClever wrote:I'm running the Producer with an Arturia Minilab MkII (firmware v1.1) to it (using a Xiami Mi 9t with Android 10). It works great and I've managed to create a lot of dedicated controls with it (even though I haven't got the faders to act right yet, but I've only tried the "relative" function as of yet).

For the case that you mean the setting "SETUP / UI / Relative Fader and XY-Pad behavior" when you say "relative function"... please note that this setting only affects the behavior using the touch screen. It won't affect MIDI in any way.
For the case that you mean you send "relative" (incremental/decremental) MIDI CC events when you say "relative function"... please note that all G-Stomper apps support absolute MIDI CC events only. This means you must send MIDI CC events in an absolute way = value between 0 and 127, and not +1, -1.

LessThanClever wrote:The issue arises when I try to use some of the function keys on the Arturia ('shift', 'oct-', 'oct+' and 'pad-change'). Because the Arturia does indeed change the octave, or the midi-channel, or the preset for the whole controller, but the moment I press one of those function keys (doesn't matter which one), Producer stops receiving MIDI-messages from the controller.

Whatever these function keys send via MIDI, it's obviously not something that G-Stomper supports.
I suspect that it sends some proprietary MIDI command or some bulk command that crashes the MIDI driver in G-Stomper.
You'll easily find out, by attaching a MIDI monitor and then press one of the function keys.
It's definitely not a bug in G-Stomper.

LessThanClever wrote:I know that the Minilab isn't officially supported on Android, but if I change, lets say, the octave once. And then open the Producer app, then I can use the controller with the new octave. I tried searching this forum for a similar situation but couldn't find anything like it.

It's sending MIDI. If it is officially supported by Android or not is irrelevant. They usually just don't list Android because there are too few apps that support it, or because they did not release an own app on Android that supports it.
As already recommended above, I'd recommend to connect your Minilab to a MIDI monitor, and then see what sort of command that it sends.

LessThanClever wrote:(and as a side note, do you have any plans to add a mapping for "Set scene: next scene" and "Set scene: previous scene"? it'd be sweet for midi controllers that doesn't have that many buttons to use that mapping)

SETUP / MIDI / Global CC/NRPN Mappings / Scene Set: A-01..D-16
It can be set either via CC value 0..63 or via Program Change 0..63
sneudecker

Postby sneudecker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:58 am

Hi LessThanClever,

I have the same problem with Arturia Minilab MkII.

Have you found a solution meanwhile?

Thanks!

Stefan
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 pm

This problem was fixed with the latest update:

https://www.planet-h.com/g-stomper-stud ... whats-new/

https://www.planet-h.com/g-stomper-prod ... whats-new/

The update was published a few months back already.
If you haven't got it by now, then it's very likely that you got the app from another source than the official at Google Play or Amazon.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”