Button/Shortcut to clear current Note Grid

Suggest and discuss new features here.
sixtyfour

Button/Shortcut to clear current Note Grid

Postby sixtyfour » Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 am

Hi there,

I bought G-Stomper Producer a few days ago and already I love it. I use it on my phone (Nokia 8) and tablet (Lenovo Tab 3 10 Plus) and it runs well on both.

It is perfectly usable on the Nokia 8's smaller screen for just about everything but I find it is hard to select/unselect specific notes in the note grid editor due to grid size/thumb size. This makes deleting a large number of notes a real chore and it would be great if I could clear all of the notes for that specific bar quickly somehow. It would be nice if there was a "Clear Bar" button or function, eg long-pressing the "Del" button that comes up in Edit mode?

If this is already easily possible and I just don't know how to do it I would love to be educated. I know that I can clear patterns/entire sequences but I am looking for something more easily accessible and less destructive to the rest of the pattern/sequence (just that particular bar).

Thank you :)
planet-h

Re: Button/Shortcut to clear current Note Grid

Postby planet-h » Thu May 09, 2019 6:31 am

Welcome to the forum, sixtyfour
and thanks for your message.

sixtyfour wrote:I bought G-Stomper Producer a few days ago and already I love it. I use it on my phone (Nokia 8) and tablet (Lenovo Tab 3 10 Plus) and it runs well on both.

Thanks a lot for the purchase. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with it.

sixtyfour wrote:It is perfectly usable on the Nokia 8's smaller screen for just about everything but I find it is hard to select/unselect specific notes in the note grid editor due to grid size/thumb size. This makes deleting a large number of notes a real chore and it would be great if I could clear all of the notes for that specific bar quickly somehow. It would be nice if there was a "Clear Bar" button or function, eg long-pressing the "Del" button that comes up in Edit mode?

That's actually two different tasks, the selection on one hand, and the deletion on the other hand.

1. Selection
There's no need to click every single note one by one. You can just swipe with your finger over a bunch of notes at once to select/deselect them.
Furthermore, if you have the auto-clone bars feature enabled, you can select the notes on multiple bars at once while swiping over the notes on one single bar.
More details about auto-clone here:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer/part16.htm

2. Deletion
Long-pressing del could be a solution, or even better would be just short clicking del without having anything selected (in the current version the button is disabled if nothing is selected).
However, you can delete the complete sequence at once as followed:
Track Menu (in the sidebar) / CLR / Pattern / .. press "show content details", then press "none", then select "Sampler Sequence" (or synth sequence in polygrid), and then press OK.
I know that's not a one-click shortcut, but it's a workaround for now.

There will be an overhaul of the grid sequencers somewhere in this year, hopefully bringing copy/paste, and also an easier delete short cut.

sixtyfour wrote:If this is already easily possible and I just don't know how to do it I would love to be educated. I know that I can clear patterns/entire sequences but I am looking for something more easily accessible and less destructive to the rest of the pattern/sequence (just that particular bar).

Deleting only one bar is unfortunately not possible yet.
But I'll keep that in mind for the grid upgrade later in this year.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. That's very helpful.
sixtyfour

Postby sixtyfour » Thu May 09, 2019 12:37 pm

planet-h wrote:1. Selection
There's no need to click every single note one by one. You can just swipe with your finger over a bunch of notes at once to select/deselect them.
Furthermore, if you have the auto-clone bars feature enabled, you can select the notes on multiple bars at once while swiping over the notes on one single bar.
More details about auto-clone here:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/html/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer/part16.htm

2. Deletion
Long-pressing del could be a solution, or even better would be just short clicking del without having anything selected (in the current version the button is disabled if nothing is selected).
However, you can delete the complete sequence at once as followed:
Track Menu (in the sidebar) / CLR / Pattern / .. press "show content details", then press "none", then select "Sampler Sequence" (or synth sequence in polygrid), and then press OK.
I know that's not a one-click shortcut, but it's a workaround for now.

There will be an overhaul of the grid sequencers somewhere in this year, hopefully bringing copy/paste, and also an easier delete short cut.

Thank you for this. I did read about the note swipe option yesterday in the Studio manual (I know you are working on an updated manual for Producer, the Studio manual is helpful for now) but I did not know how versatile the auto-clone function was. I will check that out more.

planet-h wrote:
sixtyfour wrote:If this is already easily possible and I just don't know how to do it I would love to be educated. I know that I can clear patterns/entire sequences but I am looking for something more easily accessible and less destructive to the rest of the pattern/sequence (just that particular bar).

Deleting only one bar is unfortunately not possible yet.
But I'll keep that in mind for the grid upgrade later in this year.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. That's very helpful.

Thank you for your quick response. I will keep bangin' away at this excellent app and I'll tell all my friends about it too :)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu May 09, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanks a lot for the kind words.
I'm glad to hear that you like the auto-clone. It is actually one piece of the secret power in all G-Stomper apps, as you can directly start with an 8 bar pattern without the headache of copying changes over multiple bars manually. This is especially useful when using the "intelligent" clone rule;).

Also thank you very much for spreading the word about the G-Stomper Producer app. That's really appreciated.

Return to “Feature Requests”