PATTERN HOLD toggle button on the Pattern Set Screen

Suggest and discuss new features here.
planet-h

Re: PATTERN HOLD toggle button on the Pattern Set Screen

Postby planet-h » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:32 pm

Folkdisco wrote:Let's say I have a pattern set with:
Pattern A1: T01 Volume=75.
A2 T01 volume set to 0 and an automated fade in to 100.
A3=Volume 75.
A4=Volume 50.
Let's play A1, A2, A3, A4.

Under current GSS:
Volume at 75, then jumps to 0, fades up to 100, then jumps to 75, then jumps to 50.
When I try to change the volume of T01, it changes, then jumps back to the preset value at each and every new pattern.

Under GSS+lock sounds option on:
Volume at 75, then jumps to 0, fades up to 100, then remains at 100 until the end of the song, unless I subsequently change it, or switch off hold/lock.
When I try to change the volume of T01, it changes, and remains at that volume.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't a held/locked sounds option will give fewer sudden jumps, with or without automation?

Fewer jumps, maybe, but automation would mess it up, as the automation of the "un-locked" song (in many situations) won't fit with the locked sounds version.
But that's all theory, since as said, it won't be integrated in GSS, as it is too much of a hack.

Folkdisco wrote:I see the various requests asking you for a more 'normal' linear or loop based DAW rather than an uber groovebox simulator, both here and in app reviews on Google Play. It always strikes me that you are at least a good 2/3 of the way there. Not just in functions written, but in knowledge gained over the years, writing GSS, and adding features. All the basic audio functions are done, it just needs the interface and control systems, and you have already been through this process once, and know the issues. I don't in any way want to underestimate that, but if you want to go that way, a lot of it is done. It certainly seems like would be a very nice app from your brief description, and we all know it would sound fantastic.

Excactly, that's why a new additional app makes sense. This "new" app will probably be called something like "G-Stomper Composer" or similar. For now, it's just a vision, there's no concrete concept yet. But the vision is clear and straightforward;). It will be exactly the missing link that everyone is asking for.
And as a matter of course, the audio engine of GSS can and will be re-used.

GSS on the other hand is a groovebox and it will always remain a groovebox with the main focus to use it in a live situation. Composing is possible, but that was never its main purpose. That's why a new, additional app makes even more sense when it comes to composing. Regarding the "lock sounds": It definitely won't be integrated in GSS. I'm very sorry, but it comes with too many side effects. And in the composer app, it won't be necessary, as it will work differently.

Also important to say is that the mentioned new app won't replace GSS in any way. It will be a companion to make composing easier, but without destroying the live usability of GSS.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:37 pm

In modern usage, hack can have really positive meanings, but also very negative meanings. For accuracy, I see the above request as an option or feature, not a hack, whether it is implemented or not. Probably not, by the sounds of it! More later.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Folkdisco wrote:In modern usage, hack can have really positive meanings, but also very negative meanings. For accuracy, I see the above request as an option or feature, not a hack, whether it is implemented or not. Probably not, by the sounds of it! More later.

However you call it, a hack, a quick and dirty solution, or whatever, the name does not matter. It has too many side effects, and that is the reason why it won't be integrated.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue May 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Quick update here:
Mixer Lock (similar to master lock) is coming soon.
Mixer Lock will allow you to keep all mixer levels, insert fx, eq, etc. as long as it's locked (even if loading new patterns).
drewinnit

Postby drewinnit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:39 pm

Hi everyone, I have a question related to the theme of this thread

I have been playing with G-Stomper for a few weeks and am in a constant state of surprise at how it exceeds expectations. You have made a brilliant app, thank you!

One feature I am not sure I understand is why mutes aren't considered part of "Lock Mixer" control.

For example, I am building a live set using a Pattern Set. Each Pattern is a self-contained "song/track" which I sequence live via muting/unmuting. If I switch from Pattern A01 to A02, shouldn't "Mixer Lock" also carry my muted channels over to the next pattern?

Or would I be better off saving the Pattern with ideal "starting mutes" as part of the Pattern itself?

Forgive me if my understanding is skewed, I am still learning the architecture of G-Stomper and constantly having new understandings about how it works.
https://soundcloud.com/fevered-shiva
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, drewinnit
And thanks a lot for your kind words about our apps.
drewinnit wrote:One feature I am not sure I understand is why mutes aren't considered part of "Lock Mixer" control.

For example, I am building a live set using a Pattern Set. Each Pattern is a self-contained "song/track" which I sequence live via muting/unmuting. If I switch from Pattern A01 to A02, shouldn't "Mixer Lock" also carry my muted channels over to the next pattern?

Or would I be better off saving the Pattern with ideal "starting mutes" as part of the Pattern itself?

Forgive me if my understanding is skewed, I am still learning the architecture of G-Stomper and constantly having new understandings about how it works.

No problem at all, it's a good question actually.

If or if not the mutes should be part of the mixer lock strongly depends on the way you work.
Let's say you have a pattern set with various patterns that build one single song, then the mutes should clearly not be part of the mixer lock.
In your case, when every pattern is an independent (live) song, then it would make sense.

Theoretically, this could be an extension of the mixer lock, to be activated by long pressing the button. But that's just a quick idea and I'm not aware of any side effects yet.
I'd say the best would be to adjust each pattern (including the initial mutes for each pattern) before you save the set.
Then you can always start a song with a fresh, initialized base pattern.
You can still use the "lock" on the pattern set view, which keeps the original patterns even if you make live changes.

Hope that is helpful.
drewinnit

Postby drewinnit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:15 pm

ok great, thanks for the quick clarification. i can totally see how the other use case you mentioned (where Patterns = sections of same song) would be frustrated by mutes being included in Mixer Lock

I will instead focus on saving my Patterns with an ideal start state of mutes.

pondering this issue just now, I realise what a inter-related house of cards you have built with such a complex program - so many use cases to accomodate! big respect for finding a balance.

I have a few other beginner thoughts/questions which I have been writing down as I encounter them...will post these to the forum as I get a chance to double-check manual entry and do a bit of testing of each stumbling block before wasting your time here ;)

thanks again for such a cool program. I sold my grooveboxes when I moved country a few years ago, it is a genuine joy to be "back in the game" - with the freedom and futuristic options of a modern piece of software
https://soundcloud.com/fevered-shiva
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:00 am

drewinnit wrote:I have a few other beginner thoughts/questions which I have been writing down as I encounter them...will post these to the forum as I get a chance to double-check manual entry and do a bit of testing of each stumbling block before wasting your time here ;)

thanks again for such a cool program. I sold my grooveboxes when I moved country a few years ago, it is a genuine joy to be "back in the game" - with the freedom and futuristic options of a modern piece of software

Always feel free to ask, that's what the support is for;)

Return to “Feature Requests”