Lots of feature resuests in one big post!

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Folkdisco

Lots of feature resuests in one big post!

Postby Folkdisco » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:11 am

First… These are just me thinking through how things work and my workflow on a small screen. I'm sorry, this is HUGE, but I thought it would be better to put it all in a big post that have lots of different ones. Obviously I don't know how the program works internally, which things are difficult/time consuming to program. A simple, "no, can't see me ever finding time for this!" is a perfectly acceptable response to any or all of these! Right, here we go!

There are a lot of options in the long-press pattern copy tab, but not the one thing you would most want… Copy Selected Tracks.
24 tick boxes for T1-T24, and 12 tick boxes for VA1-VA12.
Ideally… T Select none. T Select all. VA Select none. VA Select all.
Bingo!
I know you can copy individual tracks on the Drum Machine and Poly Grid, but you really don't want to be doing that too many times.
And yes, I know you can copy all VA or Sampler on the Pattern Set screen.
++++++++++++

Long click on a pattern and on the first tab, have an option "Auto Chain".
This would go through to a page with a drop down to select "none", or A1 to D16.
When a pattern starts playing, and an auto chain is set, it sets the next pattern yellow automatically.
Using this you could build a 16 bar loop or section, a 23 bar loop, or even a 512 bar loop, all accessible with one click into any pattern of the loop.
I don't envisage me or you using a 8192 step sequencer, but it might be nice to have the option!
You could even program strange mixed time signature song loops and sections, like "Hey Ya" or "Say A Little Prayer".
It would be clearer, simpler and a lot more flexible than current song programming, IMHO.
Of course, the main usage would be general pattern control, or people who are busy playing guitar (etc!).
The user can of course press any pattern at any time, to override the chain as usual.
++++++++++++

Unload in the background is a great thing for battery life, but it might be nicer if it's an option, rather than a fixed feature, especially in live performance situations.
++++++++++++

It would be really nice to be able to set the order of the three pattern play modes, when you click, double click, and triple click. Currently they are:
A Select: At end of running pattern.
B Select: At end of running bar.
C Select: At end of the running bar (+keep Bar Position)

As an alternative, A-C-B would *definitely* be useful for me.
Also, *maybe* C-A or C-A-B.
I just find with the current A-B-C order, I try to triple click, but it sometimes passes a new bar, and jumps onto bar 1 of the new pattern.
I think precise triple clicking is beyond my skill set!
AGGHHHH! :-)
+++++++++++++

Pattern names are currently really, really small, and are in dark text on a coloured background.
Everything looks great, but it's very difficult to read on a phone, and this could be really useful information when you are tapping on patterns in a live setting, and have a few or lots of different songs.
I think *my* ideal display would be that when a name has been set, the first 'x' characters are displayed in place of the 01, 02, 03 at this font size!
If the 3T, 2VT dropped down, there would be enough space for about 9 or 10 characters at this size.
Plenty of room for INTRO1, 02 intro, VERSE3, MID, 05 BREAK, 09 end, etc.
IMHO, This would also look and feel great on the demo songs.
But any font size increase would be very much appreciated.
++++++++++++

On Sampler Track Grid and especially VA Beast, could the screen scroll position be saved?
No a biggie, but it would help navigating back and forth.
++++++++++++

It strikes me that a great bluetooth midi controller would be a midi controller app running on a second android device.
Has anyone done this?
What apps output the correct bluetooth midi for GSS?
If no-one else has done it, I am definitely up for trying!
planet-h

Re: Lots of feature resuests in one big post!

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 am

Thanks a lot for your message, and for all the suggestions.

Folkdisco wrote:There are a lot of options in the long-press pattern copy tab, but not the one thing you would most want… Copy Selected Tracks.
Bingo!
I know you can copy individual tracks on the Drum Machine and Poly Grid, but you really don't want to be doing that too many times.

This is actually on the task list for some future update.
But I didn't find a proper solution for it yet.
Basically, it could be something similar to the audio export, where you can check the tracks you want to include in the export.

Folkdisco wrote:Long click on a pattern and on the first tab, have an option "Auto Chain".
This would go through to a page with a drop down to select "none", or A1 to D16.
When a pattern starts playing, and an auto chain is set, it sets the next pattern yellow automatically.
Using this you could build a 16 bar loop or section, a 23 bar loop, or even a 512 bar loop, all accessible with one click into any pattern of the loop.
I don't envisage me or you using a 8192 step sequencer, but it might be nice to have the option!
You could even program strange mixed time signature song loops and sections, like "Hey Ya" or "Say A Little Prayer".
It would be clearer, simpler and a lot more flexible than current song programming, IMHO.
Of course, the main usage would be general pattern control, or people who are busy playing guitar (etc!).
The user can of course press any pattern at any time, to override the chain as usual.

Interesting idea, indeed. I'll think about this.
The setup you describe would be probably too intransparent, and it would require a lot of explanation to help users to understand it correctly.
But as said, I like the idea.
Maybe there are other ways of setting it up. We'll see;)

Folkdisco wrote:Unload in the background is a great thing for battery life, but it might be nicer if it's an option, rather than a fixed feature, especially in live performance situations.

What you mean with a "fixed feature"?
This is actually an option.
Main Screen / SETUP / UI / Color Scheme / Max Performance

Folkdisco wrote:It would be really nice to be able to set the order of the three pattern play modes, when you click, double click, and triple click. Currently they are:
A Select: At end of running pattern.
B Select: At end of running bar.
C Select: At end of the running bar (+keep Bar Position)

As an alternative, A-C-B would *definitely* be useful for me.
Also, *maybe* C-A or C-A-B.
I just find with the current A-B-C order, I try to triple click, but it sometimes passes a new bar, and jumps onto bar 1 of the new pattern.
I think precise triple clicking is beyond my skill set!
AGGHHHH! :-)

Also here, interesting point, as I know exactly what you mean.
Hitting the pattern three times in time can be tricky, especially at higher bpm.
The challenge here is to find a good way to set it up easily.

Folkdisco wrote:Pattern names are currently really, really small, and are in dark text on a coloured background.
Everything looks great, but it's very difficult to read on a phone, and this could be really useful information when you are tapping on patterns in a live setting, and have a few or lots of different songs.
I think *my* ideal display would be that when a name has been set, the first 'x' characters are displayed in place of the 01, 02, 03 at this font size!
If the 3T, 2VT dropped down, there would be enough space for about 9 or 10 characters at this size.
Plenty of room for INTRO1, 02 intro, VERSE3, MID, 05 BREAK, 09 end, etc.
IMHO, This would also look and feel great on the demo songs.
But any font size increase would be very much appreciated.

I see your point. Also here, I'll think about it, but cannot give you any promise.
If there would be a font size change, then it would be in the whole app, not only on the pattern names.
Track names for example have the same.

Folkdisco wrote:On Sampler Track Grid and especially VA Beast, could the screen scroll position be saved?
No a biggie, but it would help navigating back and forth.

I'll see if that is possible.

Folkdisco wrote:It strikes me that a great bluetooth midi controller would be a midi controller app running on a second android device.
Has anyone done this?

I'm not sure if that was you, but I remember that this was already discussed in some previous post.
For Bluetooth MIDI, the Android device has to be the Bluetooth LE host, it's just not supported to have the Android device as Bluetooth peripheral.
With USB MIDI it's different. USB MIDI supports both, Android device as host and peripheral.

If you're looking for a pocket size Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, the Livid Minim is an excellent solution.
I just got one to test with a couple of weeks ago, and I must say it's a great portable controller.
It has the size of an 6 inch smartphone and a very nice feature set.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 am

planet-h wrote:Thanks a lot for your message, and for all the suggestions.

Folkdisco wrote:There are a lot of options in the long-press pattern copy tab, but not the one thing you would most want… Copy Selected Tracks.
Bingo!

This is actually on the task list for some future update.
But I didn't find a proper solution for it yet.
Basically, it could be something similar to the audio export, where you can check the tracks you want to include in the export.

YES!
Export audio has all the lovely track tick boxes.
There are currently lots of tickable boxes in Pattern Long Click: Copy: Pattern (Selective Content).
Tick boxes for tracks would be a fantastic addition.
I am thinking of situations like where there's a verse pattern and a break pattern, and you want a third pattern with the melodic samples from the verse combined with the rhythm from the break.
This is currently a lot of clicking on separate tracks and patterns.

planet-h wrote:
Folkdisco wrote:Long click on a pattern and on the first tab, have an option "Auto Chain".

Interesting idea, indeed. I'll think about this.
The setup you describe would be probably too intransparent, and it would require a lot of explanation to help users to understand it correctly.
But as said, I like the idea.
Maybe there are other ways of setting it up. We'll see;)

IMHO, if a few auto chains are in the demo songs, new users will discover it really fast, especially if it's combined with obvious and readable pattern names.
If it's on the Pattern tab, inquisitive users will try it out and see what happens.
Don't think all that many IOS and Android users read pdfs!
I do, but I'm a bit old style.

HOW ABOUT...
As an improvement, if the auto chain page has the off+A1-D16 dropdown, and two or three additional buttons.
Pressing button "Off" sets the dropdown selector to off.
Pressing button "Next Pattern" sets the dropdown selector to the next pattern. Ie, if you are on pattern A3, it sets the dropdown selection to A4, without having to scroll through.
If you want to be even more obvious, put a "Previous Pattern" button too, which for Pattern A3, would set the dropdown to A2.

I think Bitwig has a similar option for automatically progressing though clips after X number of repeats, but I can't remember what they call it.
You can also set clip follower behaviours in Ableton, but lordy, it's complicated.
You need to google it a few times to begin to understand.
I *think* auto chain would be pretty straightforward, logically.
Logically, if chain is on, and you manually chain an auto chain, it would play the auto chain, before going back to the manual chain if/when the auto chain ends!
But, from a programming point of view, yeah, I know.
It's easy for me to write an idea, and a lot of work to program the logic. ;-)

planet-h wrote:
Folkdisco wrote:Unload in the background is a great thing for battery life, but it might be nicer if it's an option, rather than a fixed feature, especially in live performance situations.

What you mean with a "fixed feature"?
This is actually an option.
Main Screen / SETUP / UI / Color Scheme / Max Performance

From the manual
"4.4.4 Color Scheme
The Max Performance Color Scheme is optimized for best performance."
I don't *think* this is about battery saving in a background process?

From What's New:
"G-Stomper Studio 5.6.1.7 Release Notes:
Reduced battery usage:
The app now terminates itself if in background for more than 5 minutes and all active background processes are completed"

THIS!
If there is an option to turn this off, or ideally, if you could set it an option to make it longer, like an hour?
I always find, I am using GSS, and maybe I have left it 5 minutes, but I switch the screen off and then I keep having to wait 10 or 15 seconds while it reloads again.
Not a biggie, unless you are in a performance situation.

planet-h wrote:
Folkdisco wrote:It strikes me that a great bluetooth midi controller would be a midi controller app running on a second android device.
Has anyone done this?

I'm not sure if that was you, but I remember that this was already discussed in some previous post.
For Bluetooth MIDI, the Android device has to be the Bluetooth LE host, it's just not supported to have the Android device as Bluetooth peripheral.
With USB MIDI it's different. USB MIDI supports both, Android device as host and peripheral.

If you're looking for a pocket size Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, the Livid Minim is an excellent solution.
I just got one to test with a couple of weeks ago, and I must say it's a great portable controller.
It has the size of an 6 inch smartphone and a very nice feature set.

Damn!
Obviously, using one Android to midi control another Android is completely impossible.
Nothing we can do about it if Google have deliberately or accidentally killed the option.
Took them a decade to get around to audio latency, so I'm not holding my breath.
I think all the hardware midi bluetooth controllers will come down in price in a year or two.
I wasn't looking so much for a pocket size Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, so much as looking for a really, really, really cheap Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, and then I clocked my old Samsung S3...!
The Akai lpd8 looks better than the Livid Minim to me, but new options are always good.
Gotta sell stuff before I can buy anything tho. ;-)

And again, thank you for reading my long posts and suggestions, and for replying.
Keep up the good work on GSS.
It's an amazing app, and astonishing what you can get it to do on a cheap phone.
Still loving the random conditional stuff in the step sequencer, and then you set a few long LFOs in the beast and you get all sorts of variation on a simple loop. :-D
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:47 am

Folkdisco wrote:From the manual
"4.4.4 Color Scheme
The Max Performance Color Scheme is optimized for best performance."
I don't *think* this is about battery saving in a background process?

From What's New:
Reduced battery usage:
The app now terminates itself if in background for more than 5 minutes and all active background processes are completed"

THIS!
If there is an option to turn this off, or ideally, if you could set it an option to make it longer, like an hour?
I always find, I am using GSS, and maybe I have left it 5 minutes, but I switch the screen off and then I keep having to wait 10 or 15 seconds while it reloads again.

Oh, sorry man. I've just misread that.
I've read "Unload the background..." instead of "Unload in the background...".

Unfortunately it's not possible to make that optional.
This feature (or change) has been done because Google considered too long wake locks as a bad (and harmful) behavior.
Apps with too long wake locks, especially when in background, will be ranked down in the Play store.
Therefore we had to terminate the app after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Btw. 10 - 15 seconds is very long. Just out of curiosity, what device are you using?
On a modern mid range device the startup takes no longer than 3-5 seconds.

Folkdisco wrote:IMHO, if a few auto chains are in the demo songs, new users will discover it really fast, especially if it's combined with obvious and readable pattern names.
If it's on the Pattern tab, inquisitive users will try it out and see what happens.
Don't think all that many IOS and Android users read pdfs!
I do, but I'm a bit old style.

HOW ABOUT...
As an improvement, if the auto chain page has the off+A1-D16 dropdown, and two or three additional buttons.
Pressing button "Off" sets the dropdown selector to off.
Pressing button "Next Pattern" sets the dropdown selector to the next pattern. Ie, if you are on pattern A3, it sets the dropdown selection to A4, without having to scroll through.
If you want to be even more obvious, put a "Previous Pattern" button too, which for Pattern A3, would set the dropdown to A2.

I think Bitwig has a similar option for automatically progressing though clips after X number of repeats, but I can't remember what they call it.
You can also set clip follower behaviours in Ableton, but lordy, it's complicated.
You need to google it a few times to begin to understand.
I *think* auto chain would be pretty straightforward, logically.
Logically, if chain is on, and you manually chain an auto chain, it would play the auto chain, before going back to the manual chain if/when the auto chain ends!
But, from a programming point of view, yeah, I know.
It's easy for me to write an idea, and a lot of work to program the logic. ;-)

Regarding pdfs: There's also an online (html) version of the manual. If or if not someone reads the manual chapters (or at least use it as a reference) is everyones own choice. What I can say for sure is that without using the manual, a user will only scratching the surface of the G-Stomper feature set. I mean, we're talking about 500 pages of documentation ;). That might be overwhelming for many users. But that's the case with all real tools (other than toys).

Regarding the auto-chain:
What I could imagine as an easy integration would be a general pattern set auto chain mode.
If enabled the playback would just follow all patterns in the set (of course only such with actual content).
Everything else would have too many side effects and would interfere with the existing setup.

Folkdisco wrote:Damn!
Obviously, using one Android to midi control another Android is completely impossible.

That's not correct.
You can MIDI control one Android device by another one.
You just cannot do it over Bluetooth.
All you have to do is to connect the devices by one single USB OTG cable, and then use one device as host, and the other as peripheral.
That way you can use Touch OSC for example to control G-Stomper.

Folkdisco wrote:I think all the hardware midi bluetooth controllers will come down in price in a year or two.
I wasn't looking so much for a pocket size Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, so much as looking for a really, really, really cheap Bluetooth LE MIDI controller, and then I clocked my old Samsung S3...!
The Akai lpd8 looks better than the Livid Minim to me, but new options are always good.

Sure, the AKAI Lpd8 is a great solution, and it IS really, really cheap. It costs no more than 70$,
I have one here, and I'm loving it.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:18 pm

planet-h wrote:
Folkdisco wrote:From What's New:
Reduced battery usage:

THIS!

Oh, sorry man. I've just misread that.
I've read "Unload the background..." instead of "Unload in the background...".

Unfortunately it's not possible to make that optional.
This feature (or change) has been done because Google considered too long wake locks as a bad (and harmful) behavior.
Apps with too long wake locks, especially when in background, will be ranked down in the Play store.
Therefore we had to terminate the app after 5 minutes of inactivity.
Btw. 10 - 15 seconds is very long. Just out of curiosity, what device are you using?
On a modern mid range device the startup takes no longer than 3-5 seconds.

Actually, I'm confused by this!
On all other apps I know of at any length of time, and on GSS for <5 minutes, you either turn off/on the phone or navigate using the recent apps button, and the app is there, immediately ready to go.
If I am running GSS in the foreground, then switch the phone off, then switch it on after more than 5 minutes, I get a blank desktop screen!
Very strange!
Then if you press recent apps, You have to tap GSS twice, then it restarts, which takes 10 seconds.
I don't want GSS, or anything else, to be doing stuff in the background, or when my phone is off.
My understanding is that wakelock is specifically designed to keep something running in the background when the screen is off, like Facebook's Godawful notifications, etc.
I don't have any apps auto syncing on my phone, and GSS's audio crackles when I run it in the background, anyway, which is fine.
So I don't want to run GSS in the background.
I'd just like it to be there when the phone turns on like other apps, or is returned to via the recent apps list, rather than waiting 10 seconds for the app to reboot.
And yes, GSS does some pretty bonkers stuff on a phone, so maybe there's something special going on that's different to other apps and makes this impossible.
And again, it's just a little thing, and nothing like a big issue.

FYI, I have a Wileyfox Swift. (4 core @ 1.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, runs Cyanogen out of the box).
Loading screen of GSS app for 5 seconds, and there's another 5 seconds auto reloading the song. Never less than 9.5 seconds.
It was a nice cheap but cool phone, and it runs GSS fine, so long as I don't go using Unison on the Beast! :-D
The only issue I have with it is the lack of OTG, but that's another story.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 am

Folkdisco wrote:Actually, I'm confused by this!
On all other apps I know of at any length of time, and on GSS for <5 minutes, you either turn off/on the phone or navigate using the recent apps button, and the app is there, immediately ready to go.
If I am running GSS in the foreground, then switch the phone off, then switch it on after more than 5 minutes, I get a blank desktop screen!
Very strange!
Then if you press recent apps, You have to tap GSS twice, then it restarts, which takes 10 seconds.
I don't want GSS, or anything else, to be doing stuff in the background, or when my phone is off.
My understanding is that wakelock is specifically designed to keep something running in the background when the screen is off, like Facebook's Godawful notifications, etc.
I don't have any apps auto syncing on my phone, and GSS's audio crackles when I run it in the background, anyway, which is fine.
So I don't want to run GSS in the background.
I'd just like it to be there when the phone turns on like other apps, or is returned to via the recent apps list, rather than waiting 10 seconds for the app to reboot.
And yes, GSS does some pretty bonkers stuff on a phone, so maybe there's something special going on that's different to other apps and makes this impossible.
And again, it's just a little thing, and nothing like a big issue.

FYI, I have a Wileyfox Swift. (4 core @ 1.2Ghz, 2GB RAM, runs Cyanogen out of the box).
Loading screen of GSS app for 5 seconds, and there's another 5 seconds auto reloading the song. Never less than 9.5 seconds.
It was a nice cheap but cool phone, and it runs GSS fine, so long as I don't go using Unison on the Beast! :-D
The only issue I have with it is the lack of OTG, but that's another story.

Just for completion. I would be technically possible of course, but we got many messages about battery drain while in background in the past.
So it's not only about wake locks, it's a combination of many factors which have been carefully considered.
Keeping an app alive in the background means that is does something in the background.
Usually Android kills such apps when it requires the system resources, but also after an "unknown" amount of time.
We terminate the app after 5 minutes of inactivity (in background) and so take control of this process.
Since this is online, there are no more "long wakelock reports" in the google play console as well as no more reports about battery drain.
What I want to say is that you anyway do not have any guarantee how long an app remains alive in the background, also if the app does not terminates itself.
G-Stomper only ensures by 100% that it does not run longer than 5 mins in the background, that's all, and only if the stop lock is not enabled.
It might be that this time span will be increased to 10 mins in the future (depending on user feedback), but for now it will remain at 5 mins.
Sorry for not having a better answer.
Folkdisco

Postby Folkdisco » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 pm

I was thinking *ideally* if there was an option to turn it off.
I definitely found with 1GB RAM, stuff runs slowly and closes down all the time. 2GB RAM makes all the difference, you can have a load of things switchable at once before Android starts automatically killing things. Must be hard grappling with the search result rankings in play store. I know Google can be a bit random, and you are never totally sure why you're going up and down the app rankings.
Just seen,you've already released midi pattern control via notes and CC. I bow at your feet matey!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:01 pm

Folkdisco wrote:I was thinking *ideally* if there was an option to turn it off.

I'll think about that, but I'd say more realistic would be to increase the timeout to 10 minutes.
I don't feel comfortable anymore leaving the control of termination of the app in hands of the Android OS.

Folkdisco wrote:I know Google can be a bit random, and you are never totally sure why you're going up and down the app rankings.

That is indeed correct. But in this special concern I know for sure, as Google informed developers about this handling.

Folkdisco wrote:Just seen,you've already released midi pattern control via notes and CC. I bow at your feet matey!

Yes. I'm glad you like it;)
Thanks again for the push.
Khanga256

Postby Khanga256 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:14 pm

My only wish is that GStomper automatically temporarily saves the pattern before it terminates the program. That way, we'd have somewhere to start, or even continue from.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:50 pm

Khanga256 wrote:My only wish is that GStomper automatically temporarily saves the pattern before it terminates the program. That way, we'd have somewhere to start, or even continue from.

When using the "exit" button to leave the app, just select "auto-save & exit" to auto save before exit.
When you just put the app to the background, e.g. when pressing the home button or when receiving a phone call, then the auto-save happens automatically after 5 seconds.

Return to “Feature Requests”