Some minor suggestions and requests

Suggest and discuss new features here.
dag

Some minor suggestions and requests

Postby dag » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:57 am

Might come back here if I have more minor requests that don't quite feel worthy of a dedicated thread.

• Access to Setup from any view, without having to go to the main view first.
  • When a restart is required, offer to do it automatically and with auto-save/restore. Possibly including a "remember my choice" checkbox to just do it without asking in the future. Possibly also remember and restore the previous view, although only necessary if the previous point is implemented (otherwise the previous view will always be the main view anyway).
planet-h

Re: Some minor suggestions and requests

Postby planet-h » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:07 am

Thanks for the message, dag

dag wrote:Access to Setup from any view, without having to go to the main view first.

I agree, and I considered it already at some point in the past.
Any suggestions where you would see that switch on all views?
Sure there's space on some views, but not on all. Where would you see it on the VA-Beast view for example?
For the records: The long press on the "view" button is already reserved for some upcoming feature)

dag wrote:When a restart is required, offer to do it automatically and with auto-save/restore. Possibly including a "remember my choice" checkbox to just do it without asking in the future. Possibly also remember and restore the previous view, although only necessary if the previous point is implemented (otherwise the previous view will always be the main view anyway).

Restarting the app automatically is no big deal from the technical point of view.
The problem is that a restart does not actually free all the memory/ram, not because GSS does not free it, but because the Android OS keeps some parts in the memory.
I've tried it, and I have the code for it, but the results have not been satisfying, because it reduced the free available memory in GSS after the restart, that's why it didn't make it to a release. This might not be a problem for an app that doesn't require a lot of memory. But GSS does require as much memory as possible to load samples. Therefore it is important that a new start of the app always gets all the possible memory.

The only real way to wipe all the used memory/ram is to completely kill the app process.
And when the app process is killed, then the only way to start it again is to manually click the icon again.
Therefore this task is delegated to the user.

Return to “Feature Requests”