Better support for multiple MIDI devices

Suggest and discuss new features here.
planet-h

Re: Better support for multiple MIDI devices

Postby planet-h » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you, dag :), absolutely understand you the right way.
I really appreciate your feedback. Actually, a lot features in GSS just exist because of user feedback, and without you guys, GSS won't be where it is today.
These kind of ideas are important to keep the direction for the future;).

The reason why I clearly state these things is just based on my experience of the last few years. It happened often that people understood the fact that I was interested in their idea as a guarantee that it'll be in the next release cycle. Therefore I bring all the relevant facts to the table ("pros" and "cons").
samkennedy01

Postby samkennedy01 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:02 pm

Hats off - I absolutely love G-Stomper Studio. Well done!

The problem I have is that when I'm using 2 x USB devices with it, I get a loud, high pitched whine alongside the audio coming out my phone.

I know it's an experimental feature but aside from the whine it's so damn good, so I'd like to know if it's possible to get rid of it somehow. Anyone else got the same issue?

I'm using an Akai Mini Play controller keyboard (for muting tracks and controlling VA Beast filter parameters) and a TC Helicon (receiving its midi clock from G-Stomper).

Here it is in use...with the whine throughout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km17y8KKwuE

If I change my multi-USB OTG cable to a single USB OTG cable, the whine goes...but of course I can only use one device :(

Cheers
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

samkennedy01 wrote:Hats off - I absolutely love G-Stomper Studio. Well done!

Thank you very much, samkennedy01.

samkennedy01 wrote:The problem I have is that when I'm using 2 x USB devices with it, I get a loud, high pitched whine alongside the audio coming out my phone.

I've watched the video, but I don't think that the fact that two controllers are connected is the reason for that noise.
Is the noise coming from the G-Stomper app?
If so then it's most likely because one of the controller triggers or opens something in one of the G-Stomper modules.

samkennedy01 wrote:I know it's an experimental feature but aside from the whine it's so damn good, so I'd like to know if it's possible to get rid of it somehow. Anyone else got the same issue?

Actually, connecting two USB MIDI controllers works very well. The only problem with it is 1) that two controllers eat quite a lot of CPU, and 2) that outgoing events cannot be targeted to a specific controller (only to the MIDI channel/port, which then goes to both controllers).

samkennedy01 wrote:I'm using an Akai Mini Play controller keyboard (for muting tracks and controlling VA Beast filter parameters) and a TC Helicon (receiving its midi clock from G-Stomper).

Here it is in use...with the whine throughout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km17y8KKwuE

If I change my multi-USB OTG cable to a single USB OTG cable, the whine goes...but of course I can only use one device :(

Have you considered using a MIDI din hookup instead? Using a MIDI thru and a MIDI merge box + a USB to MIDI DIN interface...

But as said... ,it's most likely because the controller triggers or opens something in one of the G-Stomper modules.
samkennedy01

Postby samkennedy01 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:17 am

Thanks for your reply. I'll do some playing around. Only the TC Helicon has a din midi socket, the keyboard is usb only. If I connect both to the phone (either 2×usb OR 1×usb + 1×usb-to-midi) I get the same whine as soon as both are plugged in. Who knows, maybe it's something like audio hum as the analogue audio from my phone goes into the TC's aux input too.

Good to hear it should work; I'll do some more testing!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:20 am

samkennedy01 wrote:Only the TC Helicon has a din midi socket, the keyboard is usb only. If I connect both to the phone (either 2×usb OR 1×usb + 1×usb-to-midi) I get the same whine as soon as both are plugged in.

OK, the fact that the behavior is the same for "2×usb OR 1×usb + 1×usb-to-midi" strengthens my guess that the problem is that some MIDI events are transmitted to G-Stomper and interpreted in some unwanted way.

samkennedy01 wrote:Who knows, maybe it's something like audio hum as the analogue audio from my phone goes into the TC's aux input too.

If the hum is coming from G-Stomper can easily be checked by temporary using a headphone on the Android device. That way you'd have a proof.
samkennedy01

Postby samkennedy01 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:06 am

Thanks!

It sounds OK direct from my phone so G-Stomper is NOT the issue - it's the TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2.

For now, I can work hum-free by plugging my phone and TC Helicon into separate inputs on my amp or via a mixing desk.

Makes practising at home with headphones a little more difficult as I tend to work in different rooms, depending on kids etc and now I'm lugging an amp or mixer around too... but I'm happy.

I love the TC and it works quietly as a mixer, provided only one midi device is connected. I'll post something on a TC forum and see what comes back.

Thanks again. Back to map some more sampler, sequencer and synth MIDI CCs so I can mute, filter, stutter, reverse etc in realtime alongside my TC looping.

Ps. I'm very happy with GS Studio for live stuff but have a niggling thought that I'm missing something by not getting Producer...
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:57 am

samkennedy01 wrote:It sounds OK direct from my phone so G-Stomper is NOT the issue - it's the TC Helicon VoiceLive Touch 2.

That's good news. Thanks a lot for the update.

samkennedy01 wrote:For now, I can work hum-free by plugging my phone and TC Helicon into separate inputs on my amp or via a mixing desk.

Makes practising at home with headphones a little more difficult as I tend to work in different rooms, depending on kids etc and now I'm lugging an amp or mixer around too... but I'm happy.

I love the TC and it works quietly as a mixer, provided only one midi device is connected. I'll post something on a TC forum and see what comes back.

it looks like that, for whatever reason, a MIDI event is fired towards the TC Helicon, either from the controller or from G-Stomper.
You can find out by simply hooking up the TC Helicon to the controller, if that is possible.

samkennedy01 wrote:Thanks again. Back to map some more sampler, sequencer and synth MIDI CCs so I can mute, filter, stutter, reverse etc in realtime alongside my TC looping.

You're welcome. I'm glad I was able to help.

Btw. I'd love to see more video clips of your sessions, maybe from a live gig..? That would be a very interesting watch.

samkennedy01 wrote:Ps. I'm very happy with GS Studio for live stuff but have a niggling thought that I'm missing something by not getting Producer...

You can always get G-Stomper Producer later on, in case that you ever run into a situation where you miss a feature that is available in GSP, but not in GSS.
G-Stomper Producer is fully downward compatible...means it can load all kind of G-Stomper Studio, Rhythm, and VA-Beast files.
One of the key features of GSP is clearly that you can have different timings for each track, which makes it easier than ever before to create poly-rhythms.
And of course, the Graphical Multi-Track Song Arranger is another highlight.

Direct feature comparison at:
https://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/ ... /part7.htm

Detailed comparison and G-Stomper Producer overview at:
https://www.planet-h.com/2019/06/11/int ... -producer/
samkennedy01

Postby samkennedy01 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:28 pm

it looks like that, for whatever reason, a MIDI event is fired towards the TC Helicon, either from the controller or from G-Stomper.
You can find out by simply hooking up the TC Helicon to the controller, if that is possible

Good idea. As G-Stomper and the TC are happy together, I'll start with the controller.
Btw. I'd love to see more video clips of your sessions, maybe from a live gig..? That would be a very interesting watch.

I've not incorporated G-Stomper into a set yet but my plan is to do so as soon as humanly possible. I play with an opera/jazz singer sometimes and she'll be well up for using the midi controller while I play guitar/ loop. I'll post a video a soon as I've got one.
One of the key features of GSP is clearly that you can have different timings for each track, which makes it easier than ever before to create poly-rhythms.

Love it.

Return to “Feature Requests”