Drum Rolls

Suggest and discuss new features here.
TIXE DOPE

Drum Rolls

Postby TIXE DOPE » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:20 pm

I have been using G-stomper for a long time, about two years now, and I could think of one very useful addition. A feature where you would feed in a sample (or two or more) and it would put them in a preset "drum roll".
What I'm trying to say is when you feed the sample in it will place them in a sequence that would preset. That would be good to place at the end of a pattern to make drops.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say I've thought about this alot and I know it would be a great addition, when I try to create drum rolls it always sound very stiff and robotic.
planet-h

Re: Drum Rolls

Postby planet-h » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:37 am

Thanks for your message, TIXE DOPE

TIXE DOPE wrote:I have been using G-stomper for a long time, about two years now, and I could think of one very useful addition. A feature where you would feed in a sample (or two or more) and it would put them in a preset "drum roll".
What I'm trying to say is when you feed the sample in it will place them in a sequence that would preset. That would be good to place at the end of a pattern to make drops.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say I've thought about this alot and I know it would be a great addition, when I try to create drum rolls it always sound very stiff and robotic.

Yes, fully understand and absolutely agree.
I have planned the integration of some "round-robin" mechanism for the drum samplers in general.
This means you'll be able to load multiple (similar or not) samples to the same sampler track, and when you play them in a drum sequence, the sampler will always give you the next sample of the list.

That will make many aspects of a drum loop much more natural, also drum rolls.
Would that fit your needs?

One little thing that might also help is to use the Drum Sampler "ROLL" feature with internal accentuation enabled (just for the case you don't know that yet):
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_DrumSampler.htm#_Toc447867051
It's only a minor tweak, but has a big effect;).
TIXE DOPE

Postby TIXE DOPE » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you so much for help and tips but I think I was explaining myself wrong. What I mean is a feature Where I would choose (lets say) one or more samples with their own completely different automations and it would put them in a sequence. And the sequence would probably be as long as one step or maybe you would be able to change it to halve a step a a quarter step. But to give you an example, lets say I chose a Kick and a Clap, the feature would put them in order like: *Boom Boom* *Clap* *Boom* *Clap Clap*. And it would be at the same bpm that the pattern is sent at. That would be useful to place at the last step of a pattern to signal a change or make a simple drop.

I know I'm such an amateur for not being able to explain myself well or for even wanting this but i think it will be useful add make things simpler for a noob like me.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:22 am

TIXE DOPE wrote:Thank you so much for help and tips but I think I was explaining myself wrong. What I mean is a feature Where I would choose (lets say) one or more samples with their own completely different automations and it would put them in a sequence. And the sequence would probably be as long as one step or maybe you would be able to change it to halve a step a a quarter step. But to give you an example, lets say I chose a Kick and a Clap, the feature would put them in order like: *Boom Boom* *Clap* *Boom* *Clap Clap*. And it would be at the same bpm that the pattern is sent at. That would be useful to place at the last step of a pattern to signal a change or make a simple drop.

I know I'm such an amateur for not being able to explain myself well or for even wanting this but i think it will be useful add make things simpler for a noob like me.

Oh you did actually explain very well. What you're looking for is perfectly served with round-robin samples. Even if it's usual to use similar samples in a round-robin set, you can of course use totally different samples as well, that's your own choice.

Combining that with the ROLL feature of the drum machine will do exactly what you say. I'll play either 2, 3 or 4 samples within a single step.

Or what you can do as well to get control between the default 16 steps per bar, is to change the time signature to 32 or even 64.

Return to “Feature Requests”