My Few requests/suggestions

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Chris dmeek

My Few requests/suggestions

Postby Chris dmeek » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 pm

1) A "Real time Song sequencer" : I don't know of another word to explain it but i would like to be able to arrange my track on a normal song sequencer like every other DAW. What im saying is, i would like to see how my sequence is been layed out, when each track kicks in and also be able to edit(like enlonge or shorten the length, copy/paste, drag the pattern around the sequence)
The current method of song sequencing doesn't really provide much flexibility for some types of music and people.
Let's say i have a song made up of 5 patterns of 8bars, and somwhere in the middle of the song, i decide to let one pattern cut in in the third or fourth bar and play a 1bar version of the 8bars, instead of going back to edit that pattern or create a new one, I can simply just drag the pattern to the third bar and crop it down to play just one bar at that point. Just take the Caustic or FL studio sequence editor as a reference.

I know this may sound as if I'm telling you to change the app's own approach and style but you can just make it as a toggle so each person can choose the one that serves them best.

2). Lower CPU consumption, I literally just had only 9 patterns playing (5 drum samples and 4 VA beast samples) with no effects or automation at all and the app started cracking ceaselessly, (while I do have Caustic's Fourteen slots fill with any number of effects and Automation but no crackles). Please I don't mean to compare or any form of disrespect to the app, it's just an example.
I hope you'd look into these, tho.

The wave table synthesis to come on 5.0 will be really cool, I guess we would be able to have a polyphonic editor for user samples

It's a really great project you got going here.
planet-h

Re: My Few requests/suggestions

Postby planet-h » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
And thanks a lot for your suggestions.

May I ask what device you're using?
Cpu consumption stands always in relation with the provided cpu power. Did you follow the performance optimization guide already?

http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Performance.htm#_Toc428949098

You'll get a complete answer as soon as I'm back in the office.
Chris dmeek

Postby Chris dmeek » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:44 pm

It's a 1.30GHz 4-cores CPU.

I don't run it with any other background app, and it's set to almost the same settings as specified in the manual.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Chris dmeek wrote:It's a 1.30GHz 4-cores CPU.

I don't run it with any other background app, and it's set to almost the same settings as specified in the manual.

Be sure not to set more than 5 Synth tracks in the G-Stomper settings, and not more than 4 voices per synth. Even if you don't use all voices in your sequences, they still use cpu if enabled in the settings.

Furthermore, if you don't need 24 drum tracks, do not activate them in the settings.

Also I recommend to set the sample rate to 32000Hz.
G-Stomper main screen / setup / AUD / samplerate

And most important, be sure to set the audiosystem to AudioTrack, NOT to OpenSL.
G-Stomper main screen / setup / AUD / audiosystem
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Finally made it back to a real keyboard to write a more complete answer.

Chris dmeek wrote:1) A "Real time Song sequencer" : I don't know of another word to explain it but i would like to be able to arrange my track on a normal song sequencer like every other DAW. What im saying is, i would like to see how my sequence is been layed out, when each track kicks in and also be able to edit(like enlonge or shorten the length, copy/paste, drag the pattern around the sequence)
The current method of song sequencing doesn't really provide much flexibility for some types of music and people.
Let's say i have a song made up of 5 patterns of 8bars, and somwhere in the middle of the song, i decide to let one pattern cut in in the third or fourth bar and play a 1bar version of the 8bars, instead of going back to edit that pattern or create a new one, I can simply just drag the pattern to the third bar and crop it down to play just one bar at that point. Just take the Caustic or FL studio sequence editor as a reference.

I know this may sound as if I'm telling you to change the app's own approach and style but you can just make it as a toggle so each person can choose the one that serves them best.

I absolutely understand your request, and I agree that there's room for improvement in the song sequencer.
I cannot give you a specific date yet and how exactly the extension will look like, but there'll be a new additional song sequencer. The pattern set will stay as is, but I'll add a new way of song sequencing once new wavetable synth has been finished. Unfortunately I cannot say more yet. Since G-Stomper Studio is built as a pattern based groovebox workstation, it might be tricky to enable track based sequencing (therefore I cannot 100% confirm it yet).

Chris dmeek wrote:2). Lower CPU consumption, I literally just had only 9 patterns playing (5 drum samples and 4 VA beast samples) with no effects or automation at all and the app started cracking ceaselessly, (while I do have Caustic's Fourteen slots fill with any number of effects and Automation but no crackles). Please I don't mean to compare or any form of disrespect to the app, it's just an example.
I hope you'd look into these, tho.

I'd say this was answered already. If there are still open questions, please let me know.

Chris dmeek wrote:The wave table synthesis to come on 5.0 will be really cool, I guess we would be able to have a polyphonic editor for user samples

Not exactly. The drum samplers will stay monophonic, as they are now.
It's the other way.. The VA-Beast Synth (which already has a polyphonic grid) will get the ability to load samples.

Simply said, you'll be able to load samples to the synth's oscillators instead of using generated waveforms. This will finally allow to load multi-sampled instruments like orchestral sounds (grand piano, horns, strings, or whatever). And with ‘oscillators’ it’s meant both on their own.
​Each oscillator will be able to hold its own sample set, so you’ll be able to layer multiple instruments as well as cross modulate them in (almost) the same way you can do with generated waveforms. You'll be able to load multiple samples with different note ranges, but also multiple samples with different velocity ranges within the same note range, and of course it’ll use both, mono and stereo samples as known from the drum samplers.

Chris dmeek wrote:It's a really great project you got going here.

Thank you very much:)
Chris dmeek

Postby Chris dmeek » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Wow, that's really some cool stuff coming. And for the (proposed) improvement to the song sequencer, that would be greatly appreciated

Return to “Feature Requests”