My suggestion on improving on the pattern copy framwork

Suggest and discuss new features here.
LucidMusicInc

My suggestion on improving on the pattern copy framwork

Postby LucidMusicInc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:10 pm

This was discussed in a previous request but Ill restate it here as it relates to what I think is a very significant improvement in how users can use the app. I've said before a lot of features are hidden or obscured by buttons having multiple different functions. Naturally with experience in the app and time spent with the documentation and discussion forum you learn more but I think the menu pages can continue to be built upon.

For example the menus use lists with small check boxes. I personally believe they would look and feel better if they were more graphical, even if they were just tabbed pages with smaller lists and larger buttons.

For example when swapping elements in patterns or soundsets, samples, tracks, automations, whatever, rather than one long list there could be a page organized by track, so tab 1 is track one, tab two track two etc. Within the tab there are different headings, Sample, sequence, automation, etc. Allow the user to navigate the menu in a similar manner as they would interact with the sampler.

Presently when you need to copy something you need to view the content and select the box. I find it saves time and processing power to start by saving the basics to the entire bank or patternset and then copying the mute solo state only. In other words

Load a pattern
Copy the timing measure, mixer, samples, sample params, and sequences to the entire patternset
Solo the first track and copy the solo mute over to the next pattern
Repeat

The quick fix I'm proposing if its not too much work is to have the menu state remember the last item changed. So for example when I choose to copy a pattern, the menu remembers I want the content visible, the menu remenbers I want everything deselected except the solo mute.

This applies to other scenarios, such as copying and altering parameter automations etc. The menu remembers what the user did last.

The next feature suggestion as already described is to make the list menues more graphical in the same theme as the recently updated menues: pages and bigger buttons.

I believe that inexperienced users with less capable devices might also benefitfromthis style of workflow because every time the entire samller is copied to the next pattern, which is sort of the way the program by default copies things, a lot of ram is used, creating stutter and lag or potential crashing. By doing a big copy once, everything to all slots, then small copies, mute solo, the program runs a lot smoother.
My Mobile Music Discography: https://beforetheriots.bandcamp.com/
planet-h

Re: My suggestion on improving on the pattern copy framwork

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 am

LucidMusicInc wrote:This was discussed in a previous request but Ill restate it here as it relates to what I think is a very significant improvement in how users can use the app. I've said before a lot of features are hidden or obscured by buttons having multiple different functions. Naturally with experience in the app and time spent with the documentation and discussion forum you learn more but I think the menu pages can continue to be built upon.

You're right, there is a bunch of features hidden (just hidden, not obscured).
The point is, that G-Stomper Studio brings much more features than a regular mobile user can handle.
Therefore the straight forward workflow (let's call it the "blue sky scenario") is kept as simple as possible.
So in the case of data copy, clear, etc. the detailed content is always hidden by default. The audio export track selection is handled exactly the same way. If someone needs "more", then he has the option to dive deeper into the features.

But there will always be a simple straightforward default way. This concept is spread allover the application. Just look at the Mixer EQs, by default all EQs are disabled, you can just ignore them if you don't need them. It's always up to you (the user) how deep you want to dive into the details.

LucidMusicInc wrote:For example the menus use lists with small check boxes. I personally believe they would look and feel better if they were more graphical, even if they were just tabbed pages with smaller lists and larger buttons.

I assume you're talking about the copy, swap and clear menus (with content details shown).
I know that you would prefer a more graphical solution, and I'll keep that in mind.
The problem with having bigger controls there is that it would result either in more scrolling or in annoying clicks to different tabs.
However, it's on my list for considerations.

LucidMusicInc wrote:For example when swapping elements in patterns or soundsets, samples, tracks, automations, whatever, rather than one long list there could be a page organized by track, so tab 1 is track one, tab two track two etc. Within the tab there are different headings, Sample, sequence, automation, etc. Allow the user to navigate the menu in a similar manner as they would interact with the sampler.

As mentioned above, tabs would result in more required clicks to step through the copy workflow.

LucidMusicInc wrote:Presently when you need to copy something you need to view the content and select the box. I find it saves time and processing power to start by saving the basics to the entire bank or patternset and then copying the mute solo state only. In other words
Load a pattern
Copy the timing measure, mixer, samples, sample params, and sequences to the entire patternset
Solo the first track and copy the solo mute over to the next pattern
Repeat

That is your way of doing things, and I agree, that in your case keeping the state of the content selection would be helpful.
Keep in mind that by far not everyone works that way.

LucidMusicInc wrote:The quick fix I'm proposing if its not too much work is to have the menu state remember the last item changed. So for example when I choose to copy a pattern, the menu remembers I want the content visible, the menu remenbers I want everything deselected except the solo mute.

Changing that for everyone is definitely no option.
But maybe I can add a setting in some future release where you can decide by yourself how the state of the content selection should be handled.

LucidMusicInc wrote:The next feature suggestion as already described is to make the list menues more graphical in the same theme as the recently updated menues: pages and bigger buttons.

What recently updated menus do you mean?
I didn't change the menus since the beginning of the year. You mean the main menu?

Then what kind of "list menus"? You mean the selection of parameters when clearing automations?

LucidMusicInc wrote:I believe that inexperienced users with less capable devices might also benefitfromthis style of workflow because every time the entire samller is copied to the next pattern, which is sort of the way the program by default copies things, a lot of ram is used, creating stutter and lag or potential crashing. By doing a big copy once, everything to all slots, then small copies, mute solo, the program runs a lot smoother.

Regarding cpu and memory consumption, this would not at all make a difference. Actually since January this year, the swap and copy process uses a lot less memory than before. Therefore this is no longer a point. Regarding performance, it makes absolutely no difference, if you copy the complete pattern or only the mutes for example.
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:35 am

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-23-43.png
Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-23-43.png (128.07 KiB) Viewed 9332 times

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-24-16.png
Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-24-16.png (100.84 KiB) Viewed 9332 times

Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-24-45.png
Screenshot_2015-10-08-18-24-45.png (149.96 KiB) Viewed 9332 times

The recently updated menus: yes the ones released with the new (more awesome) interface.

The list menus: track copy/clear/copy to another patternset slot, FX automation clear/initialize, mixer automation clear/initialize.

They are long lists and on a small screen it is I think more difficult, especially for visually impaired and sometimes attention deficit users like myself to see/remember what needs to be copied/cleared.
LucidMusicInc

Postby LucidMusicInc » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:38 am

By the way the new forum is very convenient on the mobile phone.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 am

Thanks for the further explanation.
Agree, especially the parameter selection lists would deserve more love;)
I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the hint.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:43 am

LucidMusicInc wrote:By the way the new forum is very convenient on the mobile phone.

Thanks a lot, Lucid. It really was about time for that change.

Return to “Feature Requests”