FX Send Levels

Suggest and discuss new features here.
Branis

FX Send Levels

Postby Branis » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Hello, I'm a fresh G-Stomper Studio user. I was impressed by the demo and decided to purchase it a couple of days ago.
I quickly browsed the forum to see if anyone requested FX send levels, but since I didn't find such a request here I am requesting it :)
Unless I am mistaken you can only switch effect sends OFF and ON per mixer channel, but you can't have anything in between. I'd like to be able to set independent FX send levels for each mixer channel.
Would such a thing be possible?
planet-h

Re: FX Send Levels

Postby planet-h » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:31 am

Welcome to the forum, Branis.

Branis wrote:Hello, I'm a fresh G-Stomper Studio user. I was impressed by the demo and decided to purchase it a couple of days ago.
I quickly browsed the forum to see if anyone requested FX send levels, but since I didn't find such a request here I am requesting it :)
Unless I am mistaken you can only switch effect sends OFF and ON per mixer channel, but you can't have anything in between. I'd like to be able to set independent FX send levels for each mixer channel.
Would such a thing be possible?

What you say mostly correct, let's say 85%.
You actually have Dry/Wet sliders on some of the FX: Reverb, Stereo Delay II, etc.

The point is, that the FX routing is not based on a typical send/return concept.
It's in fact a mix of insert and send/return, depending on the FX type.
Basically it's all routed as insert FX, but some of the FX do internally simulate a send/return routing (Reverb and Stereo Delay II are just 2 examples; Distortion and LP Filters for example are typical insert examples).
Since the routing based on "insert", the signal is always passed through the FX completely, the original signal is not kept as it would be in a typical send/return routing.

The reason for having it that way is the limited cpu power of the mobile devices. A classic send/return routing needs twice as much mixing cycles + the same amount of additional amplifier modules.

Already planned is a general dry/wet parameter for all FX. Would that cover your needs (at least partially)?
There's no confirmed release date for it yet, but it'll be integrated for sure.
Also planned are just "more" FX slots, not sure yet in what way and how many, but there will be more.

Back to your request:
In the current FX setup, it's not possible to adjust the "send" amount while keeping the original signal at it's base level (I guess that is exacly what you're looking for, right?)
The only thing you can do right now, is to reduce the overall level of the original signal.
Branis

Postby Branis » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:22 am

I didn't realize that sends are as taxing on the CPU, but it's only logical, now that I think about it.

You actually gave me the idea to do it manually by copying an entire track, sending the copy to e.g. reverb at 100% wet and setting a desired FX level by setting the level of the copied track (and that's how I understood why are sends as CPU taxing, because I'd have to make a copy of every track I want to send to the reverb :)).

Another idea to mimic send levels is by using 2 or 3 slots for the same effect and set dry/wet levels differently on each. So having more of them is definitely going to be useful. Also, having dry/wet sliders for all FX is going to be another definitively useful feature.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Branis wrote:You actually gave me the idea to do it manually by copying an entire track, sending the copy to e.g. reverb at 100% wet and setting a desired FX level by setting the level of the copied track (and that's how I understood why are sends as CPU taxing, because I'd have to make a copy of every track I want to send to the reverb :)).

Another idea to mimic send levels is by using 2 or 3 slots for the same effect and set dry/wet levels differently on each. So having more of them is definitely going to be useful. Also, having dry/wet sliders for all FX is going to be another definitively useful feature.

Good ideas to workaround ;).
Once the wavetable synthesis is integrated I'll definitely go after the FX setup.

I need to clone myself :mrgreen: ... that would speed things up
Francey pants

Postby Francey pants » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Would love to see an wave editor to chop or shorten loops to fit...... :D
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:54 pm

Francey pants wrote:Would love to see an wave editor to chop or shorten loops to fit...... :D

This is actually planned, and it'll definitely come someday. But this is also where reality catches me. As a one man indie dev company, I have to take one step after another. Especially big tasks like the wavetable synthesis (which is planned for version 5.0 at the end of the year) or the sample editor (no e.t.a. known yet) are things which cannot be done at once. Both are huge changes and take the full attention to become good. With multiple developers it would be not such a big deal, but as a single person, things simply take a bit longer;)

Return to “Feature Requests”