Swing modulation

Suggest and discuss new features here.
vadim

Swing modulation

Postby vadim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:24 am

I want to put in g stomper one feature that will make big difference bitween g stomper and another grooveboxes.
It is a bit tricky feature,but when I see in g-stomper possibility to put swing on triplets,I understand that maker of program is very open minded person!
Ten years ago I met vst hub-groovebox ,that did very interesting modulation with swing parameter.
1.you could do swing not only with every second eihgts,but with third,forth,etc.
2.you could do swing not only on 1/8 or 1/16
but so on 1/4,1/2,and on all triplets from 1/2 to 1/32.
Now,interesting part..
3.In swing arrea was parameter "velocity" that with fader "strength" influenced only notes,that was swung by 1 and 2 numbers above.
Think about filter cutoff that work only on swinged notes...
Believe me,sounds very groovy,-but g stomper should be ready for this by giving possibilty to modulate parameters by velocity.
4.Parameter "length" that changed note's lengthes in accordance to swing.
I had all possible groove box in my life in last 20 years,and I think that if you will put this feature,together with snapshot automation,it will make g-stomper best groovebox ever..
planet-h

Re: Swing modulation

Postby planet-h » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:48 am

vadim wrote:1.you could do swing not only with every second eihgts,but with third,forth,etc.
2.you could do swing not only on 1/8 or 1/16
but so on 1/4,1/2,and on all triplets from 1/2 to 1/32.

Generally, yes. There's a lot of space for improvements in the swing setup.
There might be an overhaul of that someday.
It's not a big deal to create this from the technical point of view.
The main problem is to find the right UI to keep all these abilities together;)

Also planned is per Track Swing amount for some future release.
There are a couple of other things in the upcoming features collection which will improve especially self modulating and generative stuff.

vadim wrote:Now,interesting part..
3.In swing arrea was parameter "velocity" that with fader "strength" influenced only notes,that was swung by 1 and 2 numbers above.
Think about filter cutoff that work only on swinged notes...
Believe me,sounds very groovy,-but g stomper should be ready for this by giving possibilty to modulate parameters by velocity.

This will be covered with the morph groups.

vadim wrote:4.Parameter "length" that changed note's lengthes in accordance to swing.
I had all possible groove box in my life in last 20 years,and I think that if you will put this feature,together with snapshot automation,it will make g-stomper best groovebox ever..

The point with the length is a bit more complicated. You must know, that there's no real note length in the drum machine, it's all just triggers.
The length slider just affects the length of the triggered sample, but with no relation to the sequence timing.
The VA-Beast behaves differently, it comes with the regular noteON/noteOFF behavior, which means it has a sequenced note length.
So maybe what you're looking for could be covered by using a VA-Beast instance (once the wavetable synthesis is integrated, this will allow multi sampled instruments) with a drum set loaded.
If you're using a VA-Beast Synth (also in the current version), the length of the notes is always measured in steps. This means, if a step is swinged, the the note will change it's length automatically already.

Return to “Feature Requests”