Request

Suggest and discuss new features here.
planet-h

Re: Request

Postby planet-h » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:35 pm

EIPStudiosOhio wrote:In regards to multi-sampled instruments for a sample-based synth..... If you build it, I WILL fill it. I have a TON of material that will fit very nicely in GSS, and will certainly put it into a new level of awesomeness, guaranteed. 8-)

Sounds awesome :)
I'll build it for sure, but there's no date yet. Hopefully I'll have it ready at the end of the year, but that's just a rough plan.
Factually it'll be the VA-Beast Synth, it'll just get a new waveform section where you can load your own multi-sampled instruments, rather than using generated waveforms.
This means it'll have all the nifty modulation features of the VA-Beast synth... I'm really looking forward to that one;)
Automatischa

Postby Automatischa » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:17 pm

planeth wrote:You're welcome, Christof :)

Automatischa wrote:Thanks for keeping my idea about file formats in mind, but way more important would be some way on how to lower the latency to 10ms, this would be very very important.

Sorry to say, but I did already all I can do for the lowest possible latency on Android.
On the main screen, press "setup", then select the "AUD" tab and choose "OpenSL" for the AudioSystem Setting.
With the OpenSL system, you'll get way lower latency times than with the default AudioTrack system.

On modern devices like Sony Xperia or Samsung S4/S5 for example you'll get the G-Stomper latency down to 20ms (on Android 5+). A Google Nexus 9 Tablet runs very smooth on a latency of 10ms in G-Stomper. So what you need is a google nexus 9, there's no other device which comes either close regarding latencies and also regarding performance. Any other tablet, and I mean any, is just slow (and most of the time more expensive) than then Nexus 9.

In addition to the G-Stomper Latency there is a "shadow" latency (or system latency), which is generated by the Android internals (and out of my control).
The lowest shadow latency you achieve on nexus devices, the nexus 9 has around 20ms (which results in a total latency of 30ms), the samsung s5 has around 35-40ms (which results in a total latency of 55-60ms).

All the above numbers are valid when you use the headphone jack (built in speaker might be slightly different). Also completely different will be USB audio interfaces. As pointed before, it's Googles job to write an efficient USB audio driver. Once this is done it'll also be possible for external audio interfaces to have a lower latency.

What I don't recommend is the nexus 6 phone, it has a very poor performance from various points of view (audio, hardware accellerated graphics, etc.). When you scan the net, you'll find a lot of app which don't even work on the nexus 6. I had to buy one to get the hardware accelerated graphics (driver bug) fixed in G-Stomper, but honestly, I would never buy one as my main device.

Automatischa wrote: Thanks for G-Stomper, the best mobile DAW. I won't switch to some other DAW on Android and can't wait for new features like VA Beasts Wavetable Synthesis!

Thanks a lot.
Can't await it too;). Wavetable synthesis will open up the synth for a huge range of sound variations.
It will become real, and it comes much closer now, since round-trip MIDI is finally done. There are still other features in front of it, but not that many anymore.

OK; that might be the reason why my Smartphone is not able dropping to 10ms latency because i got a Xperia z2, BUT, i think that it's not even your job to go further with this; for windows, there is asio4all, and that works on any windows machine, i think it will be the same on smartphones once there will be a similar driver being programmed.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 pm

OK; that might be the reason why my Smartphone is not able dropping to 10ms latency because i got a Xperia z2

How much latency are you getting on the Z2 in use of the headphone jack? 20ms?
I have good news. With the next update you'll get it down to the half of it. So if you have 20ms now, then you'll get it down to 10ms.
My nexus 9 is running like a charm with 5ms internal latency (with the current development version of GSS).
I've tested it on a Z3 which came down to 10ms.

for windows, there is asio4all, and that works on any windows machine, i think it will be the same on smartphones once there will be a similar driver being programmed.

Exactly... Google should maybe buy the code from the AEM dev;)
EIPStudiosOhio

Postby EIPStudiosOhio » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:37 am

forgive me Andreas if this is taboo, posting a link to here, but this may help shed some light on the round trip latency issue that some users have with their chosen device: http://www.singlecellsoftware.com/node/9938

I offered links, and generated a small discussion about this issue, the latency deal is not entirely under software devs' control, although some of them, like Andreas here, have been able to streamline the audio streams a bit faster.

It really comes down to device and if it is linked to a carrier (like Verizon or ATandT) and additional bloatware added to said device.

Well, I got sold on it, bought it and and am just thrilled with the performance and playable latency that rivals hardware counterparts, that being the HTC Google Nexus 9. If need be, save up your money for one, or get one for Christmas. GSS loads up in a few seconds, and content just rocks on it.

I will be testing a handful of MIDI gear and mixer surface with it here, and see what I can do with it, because some of what I am working on, I hope to be able to easily share with everyone here and the world, taking GSS and using it in ways, beyond its intended design; because...... ummmm, well..... it can do it. 8-)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks for bringing more light into this, Jason.
And of course no, that's not a taboo;)
mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:40 pm

I did the update and latency is now 21ms against 42 in te last version. If i understand well i hqve to add 20 ms of system latency so i have to set the latency compensation to 41 instead of 21 ??? I'm right ???
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:56 pm

mojo wrote:I did the update and latency is now 21ms against 42 in te last version. If i understand well i hqve to add 20 ms of system latency so i have to set the latency compensation to 41 instead of 21 ??? I'm right ???

Not really.
Actually, the manual latency compensation is to compensate the unknown latency, which is applied by Android itself, and which is not measurable by G-Stomper. So in fact, the value you set has nothing to do with the internal (measured) latency of G-Stomper.

On modern samsung devices, the compensation should be around 30-50ms, depending on the powersaving stuff and current battery load (that may vary).
On a nexus 9, it's around 20-30ms, also here depending on the current device state and battery charge.
Automatischa

Postby Automatischa » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:08 am

Hi,

Regarding "Refills" for VA Beast i'd have a suggestion. I own reFX Nexus² worth around 1000€, it has good content but theres alot of sketch going on. What would be a very, very good source for orchestral sounds would be the 250GB NI Kontakt Library "Vienna Symphonic Library" https://vsl.co.at/de - Pick single Instruments, like 1 multisampled Cello, Celli, Violin etc for exsample... i don't know about the rights though, but i think those samples are royality free. Vienna Super Package ( Full Library ) is € 10.490 LOL! BTW, i was also pretty impressed by the raw but good quality of Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi Samples by IK Multimedia...

Cheers,

Christof
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:40 am

Automatischa wrote:Hi,

Regarding "Refills" for VA Beast i'd have a suggestion. I own reFX Nexus² worth around 1000€, it has good content but theres alot of sketch going on. What would be a very, very good source for orchestral sounds would be the 250GB NI Kontakt Library "Vienna Symphonic Library" https://vsl.co.at/de - Pick single Instruments, like 1 multisampled Cello, Celli, Violin etc for exsample... i don't know about the rights though, but i think those samples are royality free. Vienna Super Package ( Full Library ) is € 10.490 LOL! BTW, i was also pretty impressed by the raw but good quality of Miroslav Philharmonik VSTi Samples by IK Multimedia...

Cheers,

Christof

Thanks a lot for the hint, Christof.
I'll definitely check that out.
But I'm pretty sure that these sounds are not royalty free, at least they would of course not allow to re-sell them bundled in a mobile app.

Anyway, first of all, the wavetable module has to be implemented (it's only on paper yet, no line of code written ;) ).
Once it's up and running, I'll consider to support some general formats, .sf2, etc.
But as said, it must be up first.
Automatischa

Postby Automatischa » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:44 am

planeth wrote:
OK; that might be the reason why my Smartphone is not able dropping to 10ms latency because i got a Xperia z2

How much latency are you getting on the Z2 in use of the headphone jack? 20ms?
I have good news. With the next update you'll get it down to the half of it. So if you have 20ms now, then you'll get it down to 10ms.
My nexus 9 is running like a charm with 5ms internal latency (with the current development version of GSS).
I've tested it on a Z3 which came down to 10ms.

for windows, there is asio4all, and that works on any windows machine, i think it will be the same on smartphones once there will be a similar driver being programmed.

Exactly... Google should maybe buy the code from the AEM dev;)

Indeed, 10ms latency. I am truly stoked about that! I knew this would be done but not that fast. Thanks!

Return to “Feature Requests”