Android Sync

Suggest and discuss new features here.
SkinTex

Android Sync

Postby SkinTex » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

First of all; I'd like to state G-Stomper is a very good program in itself and has extreme potential for experts and amateurs alike.

That being said, there was one option I was looking for when I first opened the program which I did not find. Didn't expect it to be there, but it would be quite welcome: Android Sync.

Why? Well, these days just about everyone has a phone and a tablet. And an old phone. Wouldn't it be great if you could combine those into one epic workstation? Imagine: running the synths on one side and the drum machine on the other, press "Play" on one of them and they both start playing. Either on one speaker (streaming) or without. It's fairly common in DJing software these days, like VirtualDJ or Traktor.

Ofcourse there are obstacles to overcome: Latency, BPM matching, Host/Client or Peer protocol, etc. But from a developer who is able to create MIDI sync, I have high hopes for the long future.

Here are some benefits:
- Saving processing power
- Being able to simultaneously change parameters in multiple screens (for live acts)
- Multiplayer jamming. Wait, did I write that in lowercase? MULTIPLAYER jamming battles.

I could write half a book about this idea alone and the options which could come with it, but for now I hope it's just enough to find a tiny SYNC (experimental) button hiding in a corner somewhere in a release in the future ;)
planet-h

Re: Android Sync

Postby planet-h » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestion SkinTex, and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, fully agree with you. Actually I'm dreaming of this feature since the very beginning of G-Stomper.
And finally I have good news. You will be able to sync multiple devices over MIDI with the next version.

G-Stomper 4.3 will provide full roundtrip MIDI (IN and OUT). It'll be able to act as Timing Clock Master or Slave.

What you need is an OTG converter cable + a USB to DIN class compliant MIDI interface for each device.
A good and not too expensive USB to DIN interface is the ESI MidiMate II for around 15$.
Furthermore you'll need some kind of MIDI hub, a MIDI thru box would work very well.

It's not 100% finished yet, but it'll go pretty soon to beta state.

Return to “Feature Requests”