Creating articulations in VA Beast sequences

Suggest and discuss new features here.
TomVal

Creating articulations in VA Beast sequences

Postby TomVal » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm trying to enter some music into VA Beast's polyphonic grid, and I¨m missing an ability to fine-tune the note duration. The standard value is 100%, which represents legato. Standard note duration value in step editing within sequencers/sheet music apps is 90%, leaving slight gaps between notes. And if I want staccato 8ths, I have to use 16th step length, which I might not need, if I could set duration of some 8th notes to 50%. In sampler grids, it might be possible to manually shorten the sample duration for producing such effects, but there's no similar way for VA Beast grids. There's great place for such feature within Edit mode, where "Duration" might be the 3rd parameter together with length and velocity.
planet-h

Re: Creating articulations in VA Beast sequences

Postby planet-h » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 am

TomVal wrote:I'm trying to enter some music into VA Beast's polyphonic grid, and I¨m missing an ability to fine-tune the note duration. The standard value is 100%, which represents legato. Standard note duration value in step editing within sequencers/sheet music apps is 90%, leaving slight gaps between notes. And if I want staccato 8ths, I have to use 16th step length, which I might not need, if I could set duration of some 8th notes to 50%. In sampler grids, it might be possible to manually shorten the sample duration for producing such effects, but there's no similar way for VA Beast grids. There's great place for such feature within Edit mode, where "Duration" might be the 3rd parameter together with length and velocity.

I see the point, thanks for the message. You must know, that things are slightly different in Step Sequencers. Step sequencers are based on a fixed grid, not on timing. A step is always 100%, there's no 90% or 80%. When you set step 1 to C4 and step 2 to D4, then it's not legato. Step 1 will send a note off before step 2 will be started. To create typical legato you have to change the length of C4 at step 1 to at least 2, so that it overlaps (and of course set the mode in the glide/legato section to 'auto legato'.

I'll think about a solution for that, but I cannot give you a promise if it can be done in realistic time. I let you know.
mrt

Postby mrt » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:56 pm

I second this request. It is not uncommon for step sequencers to set the note length. Its called gate time on my electribe.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:02 am

mrt wrote:I second this request. It is not uncommon for step sequencers to set the note length. Its called gate time on my electribe.

Yes, and you can do that in the VA-Beast Poly Grid since a very long time;)
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer.htm#_Toc463358429
mrt

Postby mrt » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:18 pm

I know you can enter longer notes but the shortest note is always exactly one 16th long. I need shorter gate times to program fast riffs and acid lines. Right now the only workaround is to set the signature to 32th notes.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:55 pm

mrt wrote:I know you can enter longer notes but the shortest note is always exactly one 16th long. I need shorter gate times to program fast riffs and acid lines. Right now the only workaround is to set the signature to 32th notes.

Yes, that's correct. It behaves that way because G-Stomper is completely based on steps, not on timing.
The good thing is that you can auto re-arrange existing sequences while changing the signature. All you have to do is to long press the new signature. But I guess you know that already.

There are future plans for a new, timing bsed composer app based on the same sound modules and audio engine. But there's no timetable yet.

Return to “Feature Requests”