A few suggestions/ideas...

Suggest and discuss new features here.
chillbeast

A few suggestions/ideas...

Postby chillbeast » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:01 am

Love the G Stomper!

One thing I would like to see is Nudge buttons(like you find on Dj controllers/CDJs or in Ableton). midi sync is nice but nudge would add to the versatility allowing one to essentially use g stomper like a turntable without relying on syncing to a midi signal(which also means you can't be charging your tablet at the same time).

Another idea that sort of goes in tandem with that would be to make the tempo control more fluid and allow us to define a min/max for the fader (for easier control of gradual tempo changes).

I had a few more ideas earlier but have forgotten them now, hah! I'm sure they will come back later and I will update.
Thanks for this amazing program!
planet-h

Re: A few suggestions/ideas...

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:50 am

Welcome to the forum chillbeast.
I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying G-Stomper:)

chillbeast wrote:One thing I would like to see is Nudge buttons(like you find on Dj controllers/CDJs or in Ableton). midi sync is nice but nudge would add to the versatility allowing one to essentially use g stomper like a turntable without relying on syncing to a midi signal(which also means you can't be charging your tablet at the same time).

You mean a feature, which allows you to jump to the beginning of a specific bar during playback, is this correct?
I see the benefit of that. Also good would be some kind of control like on a dj cd player, so that you could fine adjust the tempo/sync like on a turntable. Let's say give the tempo a little push upwards, and when you release the control, then the tempo would go back to original (or vice versa).
Is it that what you're looking for?

chillbeast wrote:Another idea that sort of goes in tandem with that would be to make the tempo control more fluid and allow us to define a min/max for the fader (for easier control of gradual tempo changes).

I guess with "more fluid" you mean also more precise, right?
Did you already try the "fader fine tune" (precise) mode?
Just enable the "fader fine tune" button on the main screen, then all faders (including the tempo) move 15 slower than normal, + the touch behavior switches to relative (instead of absolute).

Let users define their own min/max is a good idea, indeed. I'll add that with the next release. Will be located in the settings, where the default bpm can be defined (sequencer settings).
But maybe that would also be covered by the dj controls mentioned above, wouldn't it?

chillbeast wrote:I had a few more ideas earlier but have forgotten them now, hah! I'm sure they will come back later and I will update.
Thanks for this amazing program!

Sure, anytime
Thanks for your suggestions
chillbeast

Postby chillbeast » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 am

planeth wrote: Also good would be some kind of control like on a dj cd player, so that you could fine adjust the tempo/sync like on a turntable. Let's say give the tempo a little push upwards, and when you release the control, then the tempo would go back to original (or vice versa).
Is it that what you're looking for?

Yes! This is what i meant, its usually referred to as Nudge in my experience. You typicaly tap or hold a + button to speed up or - to slow down and then return to normal tempo after you release the button. It is the cdj equivalent of using your fingers to briefly speed/slow a vinyl to get in sync.

planeth wrote:
I guess with "more fluid" you mean also more precise, right?
Did you already try the "fader fine tune" (precise) mode?
Just enable the "fader fine tune" button on the main screen, then all faders (including the tempo) move 15 slower than normal, + the touch behavior switches to relative (instead of absolute).

Let users define their own min/max is a good idea, indeed. I'll add that with the next release. Will be located in the settings, where the default bpm can be defined (sequencer settings).
But maybe that would also be covered by the dj controls mentioned above, wouldn't it?

I used the fader fine tune, this works for some things but i was thinking being able to set the min/max would allow you to get that kind of find control but spread over the entirety of the fader, this would allow easier, smoother control over the tempo and also allow the fader to work kind of like a pitch fader on a turntable.

Another idea that may or may not work as it seems like everything kind of reliant on the setting... but it would be nice to be able to set different tracks of a pattern to different scales. For example i like to do most of my high hat and snare programming in 32nd or 64th notes but most other things in just 16th. It would just save a lot of extra clicking through the extra pages on the tracks that i dont need as much detail in the programming.
chillbeast

Postby chillbeast » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:29 am

chillbeast wrote:Another idea that may or may not work as it seems like everything kind of reliant on the setting... but it would be nice to be able to set different tracks of a pattern to different scales. For example i like to do most of my high hat and snare programming in 32nd or 64th notes but most other things in just 16th. It would just save a lot of extra clicking through the extra pages on the tracks that i dont need as much detail in the programming.

One idea i just had that would kind of solve this is if we could program the 2x and 4x rolls onto specific notes in the sequence, kind of like how the accents work.... this wouldnt get you to quite the detail of changing note resolution but it would still improve workflow if setting each tracks note resolution independently is not possible. And it would just be a cool feature anyway ;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:01 am

Yes! This is what i meant, its usually referred to as Nudge in my experience. You typicaly tap or hold a + button to speed up or - to slow down and then return to normal tempo after you release the button. It is the cdj equivalent of using your fingers to briefly speed/slow a vinyl to get in sync.

What I'd see as a very useful improvement would be turntable like controls on the pattern settings view.
1. because these would fit very well with the other controls there (tempo, swing, laststep, signature)
2. because there's enough room left for additional controls

It would be a (bpm pitch) fader which would be centered on zero (the actual tempo). Moving it above zero would increase the bpm, moving it below zero would reduce the bpm, let's say by +/- 10bpm, and of course this range would be scalable (from +/- 1 to +/-20 for example).
+ 2 nudge buttons or maybe one fader to give it a push (speed up or slow down for a moment).

In addition there'd be a quick access control to jump 1 or 4 beats forward or backwards in the playback.
Guess this would cover all your needs, would it?

The bpm fader itself would stay untouched. I think the bpm pitch is a different thing and should be handled beside the base bpm.

Since it would be on the pattern settings view, you also have the precise bpm up/down buttons (+/- 0.1, or with long press +/- 1) to fine adjust the base tempo.

I used the fader fine tune, this works for some things but i was thinking being able to set the min/max would allow you to get that kind of find control but spread over the entirety of the fader, this would allow easier, smoother control over the tempo and also allow the fader to work kind of like a pitch fader on a turntable.

I'd say this would be fully covered by the bpm pitch fader, right?

Another idea that may or may not work as it seems like everything kind of reliant on the setting... but it would be nice to be able to set different tracks of a pattern to different scales. For example i like to do most of my high hat and snare programming in 32nd or 64th notes but most other things in just 16th. It would just save a lot of extra clicking through the extra pages on the tracks that i dont need as much detail in the programming.

That is exactly what the "roll" is for. It allows you to create 2 or 4 triggers per step, which is factually 1/32 and 1/64 when using a basic 1/16 signature.

One idea i just had that would kind of solve this is if we could program the 2x and 4x rolls onto specific notes in the sequence, kind of like how the accents work.... this wouldnt get you to quite the detail of changing note resolution but it would still improve workflow if setting each tracks note resolution independently is not possible. And it would just be a cool feature anyway ;)

This is already there ;)
The roll button can be automated like all other automatable parameters.
Of course recording the automation live would be kind of inaccurate.
Therefore you can use the step edit mode.

1. With the step edit mode disabled, set the roll to it's basic value (OFF),
2. Long press the Tx button of the track on which you want have different roll settings per step.
3. Select "initialize modulation" from the menu
4. Select "Roll".. this initializes the roll modulation on all steps to OFF
5. Enable the step edit (step ed)
6. Tap the steps to jump to a particular step (the one you want to have the roll enabled in some way)
7. While on this step, turn the roll on to red or yellow
8. Repeat this for all other steps you want to have the roll enabled as well (use the position controls to move between the bars)

Return to “Feature Requests”