[FIXED IN 5.8.4.5] Lost midi connection on octave change

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
planet-h

Re: [BUG?] Lost midi connection on octave change

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:13 pm

kanduvisla wrote:What is a good midi monitor? I tried the following one, but it does not seem to work. Also it hasn't been updated since 2013, so I think that might also be the case:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... idimonitor

Generally, I think the one you've used is good : https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... idimonitor
But like Caustic for example, it uses the old USB host approach.

This one (MIDIScope) is written by the creator of the Android M MIDI API, and it also uses the new approach.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .midiscope

It might either give you the same results, or maybe more details. It's definitely worth a try.

kanduvisla wrote:So the only option now left is to check with a powered usb hub, but I don't have one is those and I doubt if that is the case, given that the controller works with any other app and also with the lights and such.

You might be right by having doubts about the power issue. Maybe I was wrong with my first assumption that it's not a bug in the app.
I checked the crash logs on Google Play, but there is not a single report. So if it's a bug in the app, then it results in terminating the MIDI receiver process without an error. Therefore the only way to find the problem would be to debug it. Unfortunately I don't have access to a Minilab MK2 to test with. But I'll drive some tests with a Beatstep Pro and Keystep Pro, to which I have access to. Maybe the Keystep sends similar messages when changing the octave.
I let you know if I'm able to reproduce the problem.

If you have any chance to try the same controller on any other device using the G-Stomper VA-Beast, that would be very helpful.
kanduvisla

Postby kanduvisla » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:44 pm

after restarting the app, once you've confirmed the notification (to connect the controller), does it work as normal then?
Or do you require to physically unplug the controller and then, re-connect it?

I don't have to physically unplug and reconnect the controller. Just restarting the app is enough.

I'll try to get the controller working on my Android tablet. It's a Lenovo tab 10 with Android 10 and USB-C so I don't understand why it doesn't connect to the controller (since USB-C powers both ways). The only thing I can think of is the fact that it's my daughter's tablet that has parental control, but I find it unlikely that that blocks MIDI devices.
kanduvisla

Postby kanduvisla » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:58 pm

I've used midi scope and I did the following:

- pressed the C
- pressed octave up
- pressed octave down
- pressed the C again

I couldn't copy/paste the output, so I had to make a screenshot:

https://pasteboard.co/JHcPiGx.png

Please let me know if this is helpful
kanduvisla

Postby kanduvisla » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 pm

I've also reproduced the "loose connection" issue with the logger running in the background, and even after VA Beast didn't get any input anymore, the logger recorded the input.

So I think power is not the issue here. ;)
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:26 pm

kanduvisla wrote:I've used midi scope and I did the following:

- pressed the C
- pressed octave up
- pressed octave down
- pressed the C again

I couldn't copy/paste the output, so I had to make a screenshot:

https://pasteboard.co/JHcPiGx.png

Please let me know if this is helpful

Thank you so much for the log. That's very helpful, and it approves that this is indeed a bug. If I can reproduce it with the Arturia Keystep Pro, it won't be a big deal to fix it.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:29 pm

kanduvisla wrote:I've also reproduced the "loose connection" issue with the logger running in the background, and even after VA Beast didn't get any input anymore, the logger recorded the input.

So I think power is not the issue here. ;)

You're right. It's a bug in the handling of sysex messages.
Thank you very much for your help. I hope I can fix it soon.
And sorry for my disbelieve at the beginning.
kanduvisla

Postby kanduvisla » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:51 pm

Never mind! Thanks for the quick response on the forum. I'm a software engineer myself so I know from experience that communication can be difficult sometimes. And yes, I've also dealt with a lot of PEBKAC issues myself, so I understand your first response.

Your response was very quick and helpful and I hope it gets fixed soon. Then I'll buy the full version and rate it 5 stars. I've tried a lot of Android synthesizers, but the quality, latency and features of the VA Beast work best for me and my device.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:46 pm

kanduvisla wrote:Never mind! Thanks for the quick response on the forum. I'm a software engineer myself so I know from experience that communication can be difficult sometimes. And yes, I've also dealt with a lot of PEBKAC issues myself, so I understand your first response.

Your response was very quick and helpful and I hope it gets fixed soon. Then I'll buy the full version and rate it 5 stars. I've tried a lot of Android synthesizers, but the quality, latency and features of the VA Beast work best for me and my device.

It was indeed a bug in the SysEx message handling.
I found and fixed it. It's compiling in this moment. I'll mail you a download link to a new apk of the VA-Beast demo later on.
It would be great if you could test it with the Minilab MK2 controller and let me know if it's fine.

You've revealed a very old issue, that was from the SW engineer's point of view almost impossible to be found.
Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated :).

Return to “Bug Reports”