[NOT A BUG] Cannot access Storage

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
sal

[NOT A BUG] Cannot access Storage

Postby sal » Mon May 20, 2019 12:57 am

Hi, after the recent update i'm unable to start G-Stomper Studio, it pops up "Cannot access Storage!".
I checked app permission settings, but storage is not listed and can't add permissions.
I read that you changed the way it uses storage, i guess it's related to that.
I tried to uninstall and re-install, clear cache, reboot in safe mode, but can't solve the issue.
The device where i'm encountering the issue is a samsung 700T1C with android x86 oreo 8.1, as i said. it worked flawlessly before the update.
On another device(LG G6) with android pie, it updated without any issues.
Is there something i can do to solve it?
Attachments
storage.jpg
storage.jpg (121.13 KiB) Viewed 17310 times
planet-h

Re: [NOT A BUG] Cannot access Storage

Postby planet-h » Mon May 20, 2019 4:56 am

Welcome to the forum, sal
And thanks for your message.

sal wrote:Hi, after the recent update i'm unable to start G-Stomper Studio, it pops up "Cannot access Storage!".
I checked app permission settings, but storage is not listed and can't add permissions.
I read that you changed the way it uses storage, i guess it's related to that.
I tried to uninstall and re-install, clear cache, reboot in safe mode, but can't solve the issue.
The device where i'm encountering the issue is a samsung 700T1C with android x86 oreo 8.1, as i said. it worked flawlessly before the update.

What you report is not a bug in G-Stomper, it's obviously a bug in Samsung's hybrid Android OS.
The point is that this storage permission is no longer required on devices running Android 8.0 or higher.
If the OS forces G-Stomper to have this permission on Android 8.0 or higher, then it can only be a problem in the OS. It sounds like Samsung's Android on your hybrid PC reports a lower OS version in the code, a lower than it actually is, as only in exact that case G-Stomper would look for the storage permission.

I'll contact you by mail with a procedure to follow... I cannot post it here as it requires an attachment.
Justinv4779

Postby Justinv4779 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:53 pm

I'm having a similar problem but I'm using G Stomper Rhythm rather than Studio. Yesterday, I opened the app and none of the projects I've made in the past were showing up. Only the "demos" folder was there. So I restarted my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and when I opened the app, my projects were back. Today, I opened the app and had the same problem but restarting does not help anything and I'm unable to access my old projects. If I go into "my files" folder then open "internal storage" and "gstomper", I find all my beats in a folder called "rhythmpatterns". But when I try to click on one of these files to open a project from there, I get an error that says "unable to open file" and it tells me that "you don't have any apps that can open this type of file. You can search for one on the play store". Each of these files is named with whatever I titled the beat followed by ".rype".

I can make a new project in gstomper and save it and then access it later without issue. It's just these old beats that I can't access for some reason. Any help you can provide is appreciated.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Fri May 24, 2019 5:30 am

Welcome to the forum, Justin
Justinv4779 wrote:I'm having a similar problem but I'm using G Stomper Rhythm rather than Studio. Yesterday, I opened the app and none of the projects I've made in the past were showing up. Only the "demos" folder was there. So I restarted my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7) and when I opened the app, my projects were back. Today, I opened the app and had the same problem but restarting does not help anything and I'm unable to access my old projects. If I go into "my files" folder then open "internal storage" and "gstomper", I find all my beats in a folder called "rhythmpatterns". But when I try to click on one of these files to open a project from there, I get an error that says "unable to open file" and it tells me that "you don't have any apps that can open this type of file. You can search for one on the play store". Each of these files is named with whatever I titled the beat followed by ".rype".

I can make a new project in gstomper and save it and then access it later without issue. It's just these old beats that I can't access for some reason. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

What you report is not directly related to the original topic.
Since Android 8.0, all G-Stomper apps do no longer have the permission to access the whole storage. New files are therefore stored in the private, isolated storage of the particular app. In case of G-Stomper Rhythm, this is "/sdcard/Android/data/com.planeth.rhythm/files/gstomper/...".
To access your "old" patterns, those that have been saved by older app versions, all you have to do is the following:
Press "Main Menu", then select the LOAD tab, and then "long press" (press and hold) "Pattern" to show up the System Files Picker at the location where your "old" patterns have been saved.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:46 pm

sal wrote:The device where i'm encountering the issue is a samsung 700T1C with android x86 oreo 8.1, as i said. it worked flawlessly before the update.

The problem is a bug in the Android x86 OS, obviously a wrong handling of the storage permission in the private, isolated folders (which should not require any permission).
However, you can avoid this problem by using an Android x86 image that is based on Android 7.x.
Unless they fix the problem in their OS, Android x86 versions from 8.0 onwards will produce this behavior in any G-Stomper app.

Return to “Bug Reports”