Studio@Note 8: Issues with popup menus vs. auto-hiding navbar

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
IceDragon

Studio@Note 8: Issues with popup menus vs. auto-hiding navbar

Postby IceDragon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone running Android 8.0.0 and I've noticed an issue with G-Stomper Studio (DEMO and now the full version [5.7.3.8]): when the Android navigation bar (with the BACK, HOME, RECENT buttons) is set to auto-hide, G-Stomper menus (e.g., MAIN MENU, alternative mode for buttons, etc.) - when they pop up, they keep triggering the navigation bar to un-hide and hide very rapidly - the nav bar starts jerking left and right, and so does the menu itself. Very annoying.

Reproduction Steps
  1. Set phone's navbar to auto-hide (when in home screen, double-tap the little dot in the very left side of the nav bar)
  2. Open G-Stomper Studio; you are now in "Drum Machine" mode.
  3. Press "MAIN MENU" button.
  4. The main menu should pop up; the Android nav bar slides out from hiding, "pushes" the menu to the left, then slides back in - repeatedly.

When the nav bar is set to "always show", the jerking doesn't happen and everything's OK: the nav bar is hidden, then slides out when a menu pops up.

I suspect other new Samsung devices (S8, S9, Note9) may be affected by this.

Other than that, the UI looks gorgeous and works well on my phone and tablet!
planet-h

Re: Studio@Note 8: Issues with popup menus vs. auto-hiding navbar

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 am

Welcome to the forum, IceDragon
And thanks for your message.

IceDragon wrote:I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 phone running Android 8.0.0 and I've noticed an issue with G-Stomper Studio (DEMO and now the full version [5.7.3.8]): when the Android navigation bar (with the BACK, HOME, RECENT buttons) is set to auto-hide, G-Stomper menus (e.g., MAIN MENU, alternative mode for buttons, etc.) - when they pop up, they keep triggering the navigation bar to un-hide and hide very rapidly - the nav bar starts jerking left and right, and so does the menu itself. Very annoying.

What you report is actually one of many known bugs in Samsung's Android 8.0 release.

It's not a specific problem with G-Stomper Studio. It will actually occur with every app that uses the immersive full screen mode, as then the navigation bar shows up if a popup dialog opens. In this situation the navigation bar is required and its appearance is forced by the Android Operating System. If the Android Operating System tries to auto-hide it in this situation, then this results in the flickering, as both try the opposite, and both is done by the OS, not by the app.

We already analyzed this problem a while ago with another user (using a Samsung S9), and all you can do to avoid it is to disable auto-hide in the settings (settings / display / navigation bar / show and hide button).
IceDragon

Re: Studio@Note 8: Issues with popup menus vs. auto-hiding navbar

Postby IceDragon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for explaining the nature of it.

It did seem weird that something so easily reproducible on a popular device wasn't reported yet, but I couldn't find relevant posts on it.

Return to “Bug Reports”