Latency Link To MIDI Bridge

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
Kelvin Cruz

Latency Link To MIDI Bridge

Postby Kelvin Cruz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 am

Olá,
estou utilizando o Link To MIDI Bridge junto com o Ableton Live e meu metrônomo Boss Db90. O problema de latência é resolvido fácil, mas não por inteiro, em 180 bpm a latência ideal é 20ms, já em 60 bpm é 50ms, à 75 bpm funciona 32ms. Não deveria ser um único número de ms que servisse para qualquer andamento, independente do bpm? Outra coisa, desde que comecei a utilizar o app, o meu celular tem descarregado absurdamente rápido, é normal?
Desde agradeço e parabenizo os desenvolvedores dos apps Link To MIDI Bridge e G-Stomper Studio, os melhores!

English translation:
Hello,
I'm using the Link To MIDI Bridge along with Ableton Live and my Boss Db90 metronome. The latency problem is solved easy, but not in full, at 180 bpm the ideal latency is 20ms, already at 60 bpm it is 50ms, at 75 bpm it works 32ms. Should not it be a single ms number that would serve any tempo regardless of bpm? Another thing, since I started using the app, my cell phone battery went down absurdly fast, is it normal?
Thank you and congratulations to the developers of the Link To MIDI Bridge and G-Stomper Studio apps, the best!
planet-h

Re: Latency Link To MIDI BridgeLatency

Postby planet-h » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:56 am

Welcome to the forum, Kelvin
And thanks for your message.
Hope you forgive me that I translated your text, so that others can read it as well.

Kelvin Cruz wrote:Hello,
I'm using the Link To MIDI Bridge along with Ableton Live and my Boss Db90 metronome. The latency problem is solved easy, but not in full, at 180 bpm the ideal latency is 20ms, already at 60 bpm it is 50ms, at 75 bpm it works 32ms. Should not it be a single ms number that would serve any tempo regardless of bpm?

Thanks for reporting this. This might indeed be a bug. I'll give it a check asap.
Have you tried some other MIDI gear, I mean another device than the Db90? ... Just to be 100% sure that the behavior is caused the Link to MIDI bridge app.
When I sync an Electribe ESX here, then the latency correction is always the same.
Can you tell me what Android version you're using?

Also, depending on the current state of your Android device (temperature, battery charge level, etc.), the latency might change.
But if you just change the tempo, then Link to MIDI Bridge should just restart the MIDI device by firing a MIDI start at the end of the next loop cycle.
However, as said, this might be a bug.

Kelvin Cruz wrote:Another thing, since I started using the app, my cell phone battery went down absurdly fast, is it normal?
Thank you and congratulations to the developers of the Link To MIDI Bridge and G-Stomper Studio apps, the best!

That depends on many factors, your phone, your MIDI interface or device, etc.
USB MIDI is generally a battery intensive use of an Android phone.
If you use USB MIDI, then your phone has to power up that USB MIDI device, which uses a lot of battery.
What you can do to make it better, is to use a self powered USB hub in between, so that the MIDI device is powered by the hub, not by the Android device.

Kelvin Cruz wrote:Thank you and congratulations to the developers of the Link To MIDI Bridge and G-Stomper Studio apps, the best!

Thank you very much, Kelvin.
Really appreciate your kind words:).
Kelvin Cruz

Re: Latency Link To MIDI Bridge

Postby Kelvin Cruz » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Olá, eu uso o metrônomo Boss DB-90 em outras conexões, tanto wi-fi, quanto direta USB MIDI e é perfeita sem latência alguma, inclusive utilizo o Db90 com o G-STOMPER USB MIDI com a correção de latência automática e a compensação é 0ms, funcionando perfeitamente em qualquer bpm.
O meu Android é 5.1.1, Lenovo Vibe K5, cpu 8 core 1.5Ghz , 2GB ham e 16 GB

Obrigado

English translation:
Hello, I use the Boss DB-90 metronome in other connections, both wi-fi and direct USB MIDI and is perfect without any latency, I even use the Db90 with the G-STOMPER USB MIDI with the automatic latency correction and compensation is 0ms, running perfectly on any bpm.
My Android is 5.1.1, Lenovo Vibe K5, 8 core 1.5Ghz cpu, 2GB ham and 16 GB

Thank you
planet-h

Re: Latency Link To MIDI Bridge

Postby planet-h » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:37 am

Thanks a lot for the detailed information.
I'll investigate this problem.

Return to “Bug Reports”