changing settings crashes the usb host with midi keyboard

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
oldmanbeefjerky

changing settings crashes the usb host with midi keyboard

Postby oldmanbeefjerky » Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 am

Hi,

before i posted a question about how to check the midi connection was all ok, turns out the problem was that changing some settings like the gui, and i think changing the seting for midi input lag compensation, im not sure it actually works, when i use it i see no change whatsoever, and i think if i close then open the dialogue again to change the setting again, for comparison (cant tell if it changes the setting actively), i get no more midi input.

Whats happening is that something is making the usb host crash, or rather freeze, for all my tablet knows, its still plugged in even when its not, and g-stomper studio thinks the same too, even if its unplugged it says "midi device connected"

so i guess what im saying is the bug is that your program, when changing settings, freezes the usb host port, likely because the midi connection is continuous and needs to be paused during any sort of refresh that affects how its enterpreted, thats my two cents on it anyway, a solution though is quite simple, either fix it :D , or add an option to restart the port, if you know how to do that. the only other way to get it working is to reboot my tablet, which is quite annoying, as it takes like 2 and a half minutes.

though even still, im thinking about buying the program now inspite of this, i just have to check to what extent this bug runs, since im using it entirely on my keyboard.
planet-h

Re: changing settings crashes the usb host with midi keyboar

Postby planet-h » Sun May 11, 2014 8:53 am

Thank you for your feedback oldmanbeefjerky.

What you report happens then when you restart the app without unplugging the usb midi kb from your device.
The restart of G-Stomper is triggered (or required) by changing some of the settings (e.g. the latency checkbox).

Unfortunately different device models and android versions handle the hardware usb port differently (G-Stomper Studio supports over 4000 different devices). On most devices it's no problem to restart G-Stomper with usb midi plugged, but on some this runs into problems, which can be avoided by unplugging the usb equipment before restarting the app, and then re-plug it when restarted;)

I tried many setups to get around this, but unfortunately there is no single proper way, and even worse, the devices don't tell which way the prefer. So I implemented the suitable solution which is working on most devices.

Btw. what device are you using and what android version?

Of course that is only the fact for now. Usb midi ist still very new and experimental, and I'm sure that gets better from the operation system side.
oldmanbeefjerky

Postby oldmanbeefjerky » Sun May 11, 2014 9:24 am

once now it crashed while playing though it shut off the tablet this time. i think it might just have been a one off though.

my tablet is an m9 max pro, the new kind, running android 4.2.2 and my keyboard is a casio ctk 3200.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 am

oldmanbeefjerky wrote:once now it crashed while playing though it shut off the tablet this time. i think it might just have been a one off though.

my tablet is an m9 max pro, the new kind, running android 4.2.2 and my keyboard is a casio ctk 3200.

There can be many reasons for that.
Is the midi equipment the only thing you connect to your device through usb (at the same time)?
And is it connected directly by the usb cable?
Or do you use an usb to midi (din) cable in between?
And if you use a usb to midi (din) cable, what kind of (product: brand/model)?
Since there are thousands of different midi keyboards + midi cable adapters, it can also be a problem with one of those components.

Did you check out the Midi Tutorial at http://www.planet-h.com/documentation/midi/ already for the best cable types?

A good way to check if the problem is located in G-Stomper or not is to cross check your setup with the "USB midi monitor" app from google play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbmidimonitor

After all I suspect that your device or the operating system doesn't free the hardware usb port correctly when the code demands it. I'm not sure about it, and I may be wrong, but it sounds like something in that direction.

Also a good way to test your setup is to use the guide from kshojs usb midi driver (step 1. - 3.) at https://github.com/kshoji/USB-MIDI-Driver/blob/master/TroubleShooting.md. It's using the USB device info tool from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=aws.apps.usbDeviceEnumerator
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Sun May 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Finally got back to my pc ;)
Tomorrow I'm going back into coding, and I'll definitely go after that problem. If it is a G-Stomper problem and if I find any way to reproduce it on my devices, then I'll fix it for sure.

Return to “Bug Reports”