g-stomper beat studio 3.0 performance

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
Cire86

g-stomper beat studio 3.0 performance

Postby Cire86 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello and first great thanks for version 3.0 so far i realy love it
But:
1:the performance is realy bad on my tablet even if i set sample tracks to 10 and synth tracks to 3 on my dualcore iconia a500 on my galaxy s2 the performance is better

2: i often have very long delays about 20-30seconds between the moment i move a fader and the moment the change takes effect this is by far my biggest problem.

Hope you find a solution

Thanks and best regards
planet-h

Re: g-stomper beat studio 3.0 performance

Postby planet-h » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Thank you for your feedback Cire86.

1:the performance is realy bad on my tablet even if i set sample tracks to 10 and synth tracks to 3 on my dualcore iconia a500 on my galaxy s2 the performance is better

2: i often have very long delays about 20-30seconds between the moment i move a fader and the moment the change takes effect this is by far my biggest problem.

As far as I know, the a500 is still on android 3.2, right?
The sgs2 is on 4.1.2, which has a by far better performance than 3.x.
Especially the the gui rendering is very slow on android 3.x., which is possibly the reason for the long fader lag. But still, I almost can't believe that it's 20-30 seconds, I mean, that would be huge. Even on my single core Google Nexus one, it runs like a charm on a low sample rate and I never ever have lags on the faders.
Just wondering, could it be that you have the step ed mode enabled when you moved the faders? Then you have usually to wait until the running pattern passes the edited step (just a guess).

What you can do to improve the performance:
- Select the 'Max Performance' Layout Theme
- Disable the 'Track Pad Flashing' and/or the 'Moving LED Bars'
- Reduce the 'Number of Sampler Tracks'
- Reduce the 'Number of Synthesizer Tracks'
- Reduce the 'Number of Synthesizer Voices'
- Reduce the 'Audio Sample Rate'

Especially the sample rate and the pad flashing will bring a significant performance improvenent.
Try 32000Hz as sample rate, this is from the audible point of view still a crystal clear quality, but it uses 1/3 less cpu. When you finished a track, you can still set the sample rate to the max value before you start the export. For the export you don't have to care about the performance since it's not done in real time.

But anyway, at the bottom line, yes, G-Stomper Beat Studio 3.0 uses more cpu than the older version, that is the price for the wave of new features and its only down side. Unfortunately for now, there's no way to improve the performance more within the code, since it's already optimized to the very last bit.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm

As far as I know, the a500 is still on android 3.2, right?

Officially yes but my runs on a 4.0.4 custom rom.

Yes the fader lags are realy curios.cause what i forgot to mention is that in that time it freezes even the displayed value stands still wile moving

I try your hints tonight when im back from work.

Ps. Btw i read something a while ago about audio problems on some tegra chipsets.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:43 am

Officially yes but my runs on a 4.0.4 custom rom.

Custom rom should be no problem at all.
4.0.4 is definitely better than 3.x, but compared to 4.1+ it's still slow in gui rendering. I use 4.0.4 on a galaxy tab 10.1 (1st gen dual core). To make it run smooth on that device I had to switch to 32kHz sample rate and ideally to "max performance" them as well.

One thing would be interesting. On what sample rate is your tablet running?
Since version 3.0 G-Stomper is running on the native sample rate of the device, and not longer on fixed 44.1kHz

Then, can you try to run it in portrait mode? Usually the portrait mode uses less drawing time.
Cire86

Postby Cire86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 am

Yeah the samplerate was at standard 44100Hz changed it to 32000Hz now it runs as smooth as the last version
And the fader lags ar also gone by changing the design :D

Thank you very much
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

Cire86 wrote:Yeah the samplerate was at standard 44100Hz changed it to 32000Hz now it runs as smooth as the last version
And the fader lags ar also gone by changing the design :D

Thank you very much

Excellent, thanks a lot for the info. I'm glad it works now as it should ;)

Return to “Bug Reports”