Audio Clicks on Galaxy Nexus 7

Submit any bugs here. Please check existing posts before submitting a new one.
comsat

Audio Clicks on Galaxy Nexus 7

Postby comsat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:36 pm

Hi,
I have been using g-stomper on my 2012 Nexus7 Android 4.3 and everything worked just fine (and still does).
Now, I have a new Nexus 7 (the 2013 model) with a more powerful processor, more RAM and an updated Android version (4.3.1) and I get annoying audio clicks every few seconds. :x
I've tried some of the things mentioned in the help on the planet-h homepage and these didn't solve the problem.
Is there anything else which I should try ?
Does anybody els have this problem with the 2013 Nexus ?
Thx
planet-h

Re: Audio Clicks on Galaxy Nexus 7

Postby planet-h » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:05 pm

Welcome to the forum comsat
And thank you for the feedback.
You're lucky, tomorrow I get a 2013 nexus 7 as well, so you can be sure, if there is a problem, I'll find it.
What you can try meanwhile:
- Start G-Stomper and then go to flight mode. The flight mode turns off all periodic network access and can solve such problems.
- Check your system settings for power saving functions and turn them of temporary, just to see if this solves it.
- What also could be is that there is some kind of auto haptics (don't know yet since I don't have the device yet). If there is such a thing, turn it off (settings/sound)

I'm pretty sure that it isn't a problem with android 4.3, .. but that's all speculation, tomorrow I can check it by myself on the nexus 7, then I know more.
I'll get back to you when I have a definitive solution.
comsat

Postby comsat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi,
thanks for the very prompt reply and the suggestions !

- Start G-Stomper and then go to flight mode. The flight mode turns off all periodic network access and can solve such problems.
I tried this and the problem was still there. I also set the device to flight mode and then started g-stomper and again no luck!

- Check your system settings for power saving functions and turn them of temporary, just to see if this solves it.
I couldn't find anything, and I also looked at the running apps and closed everything which was not needed.

- What also could be is that there is some kind of auto haptics (don't know yet since I don't have the device yet). If there is such a thing, turn it off (settings/sound)
I already looked at the sound settings and I couldn't find anything like auto haptics.

...... anyway .....

Congrats on your new Nexus and I would be very interested to hear if you have the same problem.
I gave the old Nexus to my kids and now I might just have to swop it back for the new one ! :(

Cheers
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:18 pm

Congrats on your new Nexus and I would be very interested to hear if you have the same problem.

Thank you:)
And yes, I'm having the same problem.
What I can say so far is that it's neither the cpu nor the memory which creates the glitches. I've monitored the cpu with a heavy loaded song on G-Stomper and it didn't even use 50% of the cpu. The used memory was about 20% of the available memory for G-Stomper.
It could have something to do with the latency. The new nexus has a very low latency (for a standard android setup), it's around 40ms. I'll do some tests today with different settings and let you know as soon as I found a solution.
comsat

Postby comsat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:08 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Looking forward to hearing from you. Could it have something to do with the display ?
I noticed that when I used a heavily loaded song the clicks were worse whenever I touched something on the screen. For example, with the Genres-1 pack when I use the Soul pattern.
Cheers
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:36 pm

I found the problem. G-Stomper uses 44.1kHz audio output, hard set. This produces the clicks. The nexus has a native sample rate of 48kHz, I've changed to that sample rate and all works like a charm. Strange is that this problem does not occur on all the other devices, most of them have 48kHz as native output.
Anyway, it's not a big deal to fix. But it'll take a moment to get the 2.6.8a sourcecode to run again. The main code base is already close to the finish line of G-Stomper 3.0. There'll be a fix the next few days.

The fix will raise the latency a bit on the nexus v2, unfortunately I can't change the sample rate permanently, since all the factory samples are optimized for 44.1kHz. There will be a final solution with 3.0, until then the hotfix hopefully does the job
comsat

Postby comsat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:06 pm

OK, great that you located the problem. :D
Looking forward to the hotfix (please let us all know when this is available) and of course the synth in V.3.0. ! :o
Cheers
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 am

comsat wrote:OK, great that you located the problem. :D
Looking forward to the hotfix (please let us all know when this is available)
Cheers

I've just uploaded the hot fix build to google play and amazon. It'll be online within 2 hours on google play (on amazon tomorrow).

Thanks again for reporting this issue. Really appreciated!
Feel free to choose 2 paid sample packs as a small reward for your help. Just let me know which you want and I send them over

Andreas
comsat

Postby comsat » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi Andreas,

also many thanks for fixing the problem so efficiently, this is very much appreciated. It is very kind of you to offer me the free sample packs and I will gladly take up your offer.

Please can you send me the following :

G-Stomper Real-Drums-2 Pack + G-Stomper Classic Nord3 Synths.

Cheers from Hungary and very much looking forward to Version 3.
Good luck with finishing the programming.

:D
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:50 am

Just sent them. They're in your mailbox now ;)

Return to “Bug Reports”