Roland GAIA SH-01 as a MIDI controller

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
blueskin

Roland GAIA SH-01 as a MIDI controller

Postby blueskin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi world! I've just connected my Roland GAIA SH-01 to my phone via USB and somehow managed to set everything up so that GAIA controlls the mighty Beast Synthesizer (yay!) However, there is a small problem that I need to solve. While certain notes play nicely, others include this weird thump sound. Is that some kind of bug or am I missing something in the app setting?
planet-h

Re: Roland GAIA SH-01 as a MIDI controller

Postby planet-h » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, blueskin.
blueskin wrote:Hi world! I've just connected my Roland GAIA SH-01 to my phone via USB and somehow managed to set everything up so that GAIA controlls the mighty Beast Synthesizer (yay!) However, there is a small problem that I need to solve. While certain notes play nicely, others include this weird thump sound. Is that some kind of bug or am I missing something in the app setting?

When you say a thump sound, you mean specifically at the attack time?

If this is the case, then you should increase the LFO/Envelope accuracy in the settings.
Main Screen / Setup / Aud / Overall LFO/Envelope accuracy = High (1/4 sample rate)
(default value is Low (1/16 sample rate))

Just keep in mind that this setting increases the CPU usage significantly.
Highest (1/1 sample rate) is NOT meant to be used in real time. You can try of course, but it will for sure reduce the number of concurrent voices (before getting audio drop outs) significantly. Even High (1/4 sample rate) eats a lot of CPU, but with an adequate high end device, this should work.

Or wait... Are you using G-Stomper Studio or G-Stomper Producer, and could it be that you've mapped the same MIDI channel value as global channel and VA-Beast track channel?
However, if this is not the issue you're talking about, please record such sounds, so that I can hear what it is about.
Thanks in advance.
blueskin

Postby blueskin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to record the sound I'm talking about tomorrow and I'll also try one of your recommendations. What befuddles me is that the thumping sound (yes, it's in the attack phase) is occuring only when certain notes are hit. But then again I'm not a very experienced soundcrafter and the physical parameters of sound sythesis are still rather shrouded in mystery to me. Maybe it has a very simple explanation that I'm just unable to grasp.
blueskin

Postby blueskin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:46 pm

Guys, I found it! For a reason unbeknownst to me playing certain notes was triggering not only corresponding notes in Beast Synthesizer module but also certain steps in the drum machine/sequencer module. I guess I need to check the mapping section in the setup properly. For now, the solution was simple: mute every step of the drum machine/sequence in the mixer mode (you had to do it manually using faders, simply pressing mute button was not enough) and voila! The sound from the Beast Synthesizer is finally clear.

In the future: what is the solution if I wanted to use both Beast Systhesizer and drum machine/sequencer? I'm using G-Stomper Studio 5.8.4.5, my phone is Samsung Galaxy J6+ with Android 10.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:14 pm

blueskin wrote:Guys, I found it! For a reason unbeknownst to me playing certain notes was triggering not only corresponding notes in Beast Synthesizer module but also certain steps in the drum machine/sequencer module. I guess I need to check the mapping section in the setup properly. For now, the solution was simple: mute every step of the drum machine/sequence in the mixer mode (you had to do it manually using faders, simply pressing mute button was not enough) and voila! The sound from the Beast Synthesizer is finally clear.

You just have to un-map the MIDI channel from the MIDI global channel mapping or the specific drum track channel mappings. Or map another MIDI channel than the one mapped with the synth otherwise.

That's what I meant with...
planet-h wrote:Or wait... Are you using G-Stomper Studio or G-Stomper Producer, and could it be that you've mapped the same MIDI channel value as global channel and VA-Beast track channel?

However, great to hear that you found it, and even better that it's not a bug ;).

blueskin wrote:In the future: what is the solution if I wanted to use both Beast Systhesizer and drum machine/sequencer? I'm using G-Stomper Studio 5.8.4.5, my phone is Samsung Galaxy J6+ with Android 10.

If you own G-Stomper Studio or G-Stomper Producer, then you already own (and use) both, the drum machine and synth on the same phone.
If you mean to control both individually using your Controller... be sure to map different MIDI channels for drums and synths.

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”