stand-alone presets

Questions and Discussions about the G-Stomper VA-Beast Synthesizer
L Jefe

stand-alone presets

Postby L Jefe » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:52 am

I've been making presets using the effects, but I wondered-
When VA Beast is integrated into Beat Studio, will it bring its effect section along? Or will it share the three effect blocks already in Beat Studio? If it shares effects, will calling up a VA preset overwrite the effects already used on a song? Is it way too early to think of such things? I just wonder if I should be avoiding the effects when making presets?
planet-h

Re: stand-alone presets

Postby planet-h » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:06 am

L Jefe wrote:I've been making presets using the effects, but I wondered-
When VA Beast is integrated into Beat Studio, will it bring its effect section along? Or will it share the three effect blocks already in Beat Studio? If it shares effects, will calling up a VA preset overwrite the effects already used on a song? Is it way too early to think of such things? I just wonder if I should be avoiding the effects when making presets?

That's one of the main differences between the standalone VA-Beast and the G-Stomper Beat Studio integrated version. The integrated version will share the effect rack with the other sound generators (the samplers and the other synth instances...there'll be multiple synths) on the mix, since the effect rack is designed as a typical send/return chain. Btw., it's planned to add a secondary efx chain, not sure if it'll be in 3.0, maybe it'll be integrated in some later release. This will add some more head room for the efx ;)

And yes, I have thought about that from the beginning and it's handled as followed:
Both, the standalone and the integrated version, save the efx together with the patch.
But only the standalone version loads the efx when you load a patch. In the integrated version the efx are saved together with the pattern.
When loading just a patch in the integrated version, the saved efx settings just get ignored.
So from a technical point of view, you don't have to care about it. The only thing is that you don't have the efx settings when you load up a patch in the integrated version. I would say in most cases, this is the right behavior.
L Jefe

Postby L Jefe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 pm

OK, thanks, this is what I thought might be true. And, yes, it does seem like the right behavior. So far, the presets sound wonderful with or without fx. The synth has so many options. I keep discovering new possibilities (like the percussive sounds possible with the noise osc + shape slider + decay). I haven't even begun to explore fm. It's a very deep synth in cool, unusual ways.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:14 am

L Jefe wrote:OK, thanks, this is what I thought might be true. And, yes, it does seem like the right behavior. So far, the presets sound wonderful with or without fx. The synth has so many options. I keep discovering new possibilities (like the percussive sounds possible with the noise osc + shape slider + decay). I haven't even begun to explore fm. It's a very deep synth in cool, unusual ways.

Thank you very much, L Jefe
I'm thinking about some more options for the mod envelopes. I guess it could be useful to have a adjustable delay at the beginning of the ad envelopes, e.g. to create clap sounds with multiple attack peaks. And maybe, it would be cool to have 3 envelopes instead of 2, especially for percussive sounds. What you think?
L Jefe

Postby L Jefe » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:30 pm

I was wishing for a delay pre-attack for the mod envelopes yesterday, trying to create a cello-like sound, so I vote definitely yes for that. And, of course, another envelope would be good!
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:17 am

L Jefe wrote:I was wishing for a delay pre-attack for the mod envelopes yesterday, trying to create a cello-like sound, so I vote definitely yes for that. And, of course, another envelope would be good!

The delay pre-attack will be done for sure. I'm missing this too, when I creating new presets;). If the performance allows it, I'll add the third mod env as well. But it's too early to speculate about the performance yet since for the integration into G-stomper Beat Studio there'll be again more performance requirement (because of the multiple synth tracks) and so more optimizing on the synth's core.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

L Jefe wrote:I was wishing for a delay pre-attack for the mod envelopes yesterday, trying to create a cello-like sound, so I vote definitely yes for that. And, of course, another envelope would be good!

Hey L Jefe
I've just finished the implementation of the of the discussed additions, the pre-attack delay and the third mod envelope.
Actually it's not a 'pre-attack delay', I've implemented it as a new attack mode. So with this change you can switch between the attack modes: linear, exponential and rectangular. The rectangular mode just keeps the envelope value on zero for the complete attack time.

After creating a few patches, I'm just addicted to these new tweaks. It's such a small change, but the the improvement is insane. With this you'll be able to create really authentic claps, trumpets or chello like sounds without problems. So in combination with the LFO's which can be used as envelopes as well, you'll have up to 4 independent attack points, which produces very cool and unique sounds;)

Return to “G-Stomper VA-Beast Questions and Discussions”