Few questions

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
Rafal

Few questions

Postby Rafal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 am

Thank you for the awesome app and your hard work to make it :-).

As prompted on Play I post some questions and issues related to GStomper. Could please help with them?

1. How to adjust tracks individual fx send levels?

2. "Time signature" in T&M is confusing, it is more like grid resolution or subdivision. With 16th note triplets or greater subdivision I can only fit 4 bars per pattern instead of usual 8. Actually it still shows 8 gstomper bars but in reality each gstomper bar acts like a half of music bar at those subdivisions. Is there a way to overcome this behaviour?

3. Roll option should work per single note, not the whole track. At least I am not able to make it work per single note.

4. Is there an option to import/export midi files?

5. Do I really need te press the record button to change note data in note edit mode? If that record button is not engaged whole track gets changed in note edit mode. It is a counterintuitive behaviour or I am doing something wrong. Can you help with that?

Thanks
Rafal
planet-h

Re: Few questions

Postby planet-h » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:33 am

Welcome to the forum, Rafal
And thanks a lot for your feedback.

Rafal wrote:1. How to adjust tracks individual fx send levels?

The FX setup in G-Stomper is not typical send/return. It is in fact a combination of insert and send, optimized for the particular FX types. Reverb and Stereo Delay II provide a Mix parameter to set the balance between the dry and wet signal. Filters and Distortions on the other hand are typical insert effects. Having separated insert and send chains would consume too much cpu on Android devices. Of course, this might change in the future.

Rafal wrote:2. "Time signature" in T&M is confusing, it is more like grid resolution or subdivision. With 16th note triplets or greater subdivision I can only fit 4 bars per pattern instead of usual 8. Actually it still shows 8 gstomper bars but in reality each gstomper bar acts like a half of music bar at those subdivisions. Is there a way to overcome this behaviour?

This is the typical behavior of a Step Sequencer. Step Sequencers, especially in grooveboxes, have a fixed step grid. Unfortunately there's no way to get around it. There might be a solution for this in some future release. I you have something in mind, let me know. Suggestions are always welcome.

Rafal wrote:3. Roll option should work per single note, not the whole track. At least I am not able to make it work per single note.

Since the roll switch can be automated, it can be individually set for each step (step edit).
For more details about step edit, check out
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/pdf/G-Stomper_UserManual_ParameterAutomation.pdf
Chapter 12.2 Step Edit Automations

Rafal wrote:4. Is there an option to import/export midi files?

Not yet, but midi export is planned.
I'm not sure about midi import yet.

Rafal wrote:5. Do I really need te press the record button to change note data in note edit mode? If that record button is not engaged whole track gets changed in note edit mode. It is a counterintuitive behaviour or I am doing something wrong. Can you help with that?

That depends on how you want to change the note data.
If you want to live record, then you need to press the record button.
In any other cases you don't have to activate recording.

Which app are you using?
G-Stomper Rhythm? or G-Stomper Studio?
In G-Stomper Studio, you can create tonal sequences using the grid sequencers, which is much easier than using the note edit mode.

For details about Note Edit:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/pdf/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer.pdf
Chapter 5.4 Main Drum Machine (Note Edit is explained in 5.4.4, 5.4.5 and 5.4.6)

For details about the Note Grid:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/pdf/G-Stomper_UserManual_PatternSequencer.pdf
Chapter 5.6 Note Grid

Andreas
Rafal

Postby Rafal » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:48 am

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your quick reply and support :-)

I was using G-Stomper Rhythm from the last December and I was also occasionally playing with Studio Demo. I've been using the full Studio version for the last two weeks.

I will check out roll option and step edit shortly.

It seems to me that fixed event number to 64 per pattern is the limiting factor here. It means that we can program longer patterns with lower resolution or shorter ones with greater subdivisions, but not both: longer patterns with greater details.

I am just working on few suggestions from drummer and live usage perspective and I will post them shortly in proper thread.

Thanks
Rafał
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:13 am

You're welcome, Rafal.

Rafal wrote:It seems to me that fixed event number to 64 per pattern is the limiting factor here. It means that we can program longer patterns with lower resolution or shorter ones with greater subdivisions, but not both: longer patterns with greater details.

Yes, that's correct. For now, the max number of bars and steps is fixed like on a hardware groovebox. Finding a solution for that is on the task list. If you're looking at the different aspects (UI presentation, Memory consumption, etc.), you'll see that this is not a trivial task. But I fully agree, that it would be better if you could create patterns of the same length in all time signatures. That way it'd also be possible to change the signature on already created beats and automatically spread the events (but that's another thing).
Rafal

Postby Rafal » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:29 pm

I never had an hands on experience with groveboxes and GStomper is actually the first one. Even with all its limitations is fast and fun to use. I noticed that outside the default neat and clean 16 notes per bar things get more complicated. I have a few ideas to overcome some of those limitation and will post them soon
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:06 am

Rafal wrote:I never had an hands on experience with groveboxes and GStomper is actually the first one. Even with all its limitations is fast and fun to use. I noticed that outside the default neat and clean 16 notes per bar things get more complicated. I have a few ideas to overcome some of those limitation and will post them soon

Sure, I'm always open for new suggestions

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”