Some QUestions / feature requests ?

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
dest4b

Some QUestions / feature requests ?

Postby dest4b » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 am

First i must say that G-stomper is the most exiting Music App for Mobile i have seen ! Thank you for that ! :)
Amazing.. i thought about buying an Electribe 2 for mobile Fun .. but the electribe seems like a Toy compared to this MOBILE DAW !

My biggest problems with Mobile Apps is that they are all not really usable because of Touchscreen limitations and Ugly GUIs.
But You get it ! :) Thats much fun to play around with G-Stomper. Its turning a Tablet in an Instrument !

I have some questions maybe someone could help:

1. Undo - Is there an Undo function sometimes it would be fantastic. If you create a Melody in Pianoroll and you accidently hit Random .. ;)
2. Automation - Is there a way to delete the Automation of one Knob ? Iff you hit a knob by mistake during Record or Stepedit. But i dont want do delete the complete automation.
3. Zoom - Is there a way to zoom in the Pianoroll ? For example if i have a Chord over 8x16 and i want to change the length of all notes. i have to tab all the notes in eacht 8x16 window.
4. Some times i have Problems on my Nexus 9 with Crackeling and High Latency. If i had the Probelm i have looked in the Settings and i see that its 30-280ms latency and it is not runnning smooth.
Restarting doesent really help. 20 minutes later it was working normaly with 5ms and less / no crackeling .. ( maybe caused by playsore Updates ? dont know ?)
But even if it is running normal i got crackels from time to time. Are there any tuning Tipps ? Or did i use to much eFX as insert ? 16 druns and 4 Synths. ? maybe 8 or 10 Inserts ( 4 Reverbs )
5. Pre count for live recording - Its not easy to start the cecording direct after hitting Play. Of course i can wait until it is again at the "1". Is it possible to add a Precount if for example Metronome is activated and i press record to get a Metronome for 4 Bars and then starting @ 1:1:1:1

Nexus 9 Android 7.1 32Gb

thank you .
René
planet-h

Re: Some QUestions / feature requests ?

Postby planet-h » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:41 pm

Welcome to the forum, dest4b
And thanks for your message.

dest4b wrote:First i must say that G-stomper is the most exiting Music App for Mobile i have seen ! Thank you for that ! :)
Amazing.. i thought about buying an Electribe 2 for mobile Fun .. but the electribe seems like a Toy compared to this MOBILE DAW !

My biggest problems with Mobile Apps is that they are all not really usable because of Touchscreen limitations and Ugly GUIs.
But You get it ! :) Thats much fun to play around with G-Stomper. Its turning a Tablet in an Instrument !

Thank you very much:). I'm more than happy to hear that.

dest4b wrote:1. Undo - Is there an Undo function sometimes it would be fantastic. If you create a Melody in Pianoroll and you accidently hit Random .. ;)

Unfortunately that's one of the most tricky tasks.
Since you can basically tune everything, and I mean everything, in G-Stomper, having a general UNDO would be a performance + memory killer.
But I agree, that especially in the tonal grids it would be very useful.
However, it's on the task list, but I cannot give you any promise for it yet.

dest4b wrote:2. Automation - Is there a way to delete the Automation of one Knob ? Iff you hit a knob by mistake during Record or Stepedit. But i dont want do delete the complete automation.

No, that's not possible, at least not in the known "electribe" way.
But you can of course clear the automation of every parameter separately.
Long press the Track button (e.g. T01, VT01), select the "AUTO" tab, choose "Clear Parameter Automation" and finally choose the parameter from the list.

dest4b wrote:3. Zoom - Is there a way to zoom in the Pianoroll ? For example if i have a Chord over 8x16 and i want to change the length of all notes. i have to tab all the notes in eacht 8x16 window.

No, zooming is not possible.
If the chords are all the same, then you can use the Auto Clone to change them by doing the change only on one single bar.
If the chords are different between the bars, then you have to enable "EDIT", select them all, and then change the length.

dest4b wrote:4. Some times i have Problems on my Nexus 9 with Crackeling and High Latency. If i had the Probelm i have looked in the Settings and i see that its 30-280ms latency and it is not runnning smooth.
Restarting doesent really help. 20 minutes later it was working normaly with 5ms and less / no crackeling .. ( maybe caused by playsore Updates ? dont know ?)
But even if it is running normal i got crackels from time to time. Are there any tuning Tipps ? Or did i use to much eFX as insert ? 16 druns and 4 Synths. ? maybe 8 or 10 Inserts ( 4 Reverbs )

Sounds like the device got too hot. If that's the case then Android throttles down the CPU to avoid hardware damage.
This means in fact, the device runs at low cpu power until it cools down.
Same may happen when the battery is almost empty.
At the end, G-Stomper just takes what it gets from the OS + Hardware, if Android limits the resources, then G-Stomper gets less.

dest4b wrote:5. Pre count for live recording - Its not easy to start the cecording direct after hitting Play. Of course i can wait until it is again at the "1". Is it possible to add a Precount if for example Metronome is activated and i press record to get a Metronome for 4 Bars and then starting @ 1:1:1:1

Unortunately there's no pre-count.
As you said, the easiest way is to enable the metronome, and then just let it run and start playing when it hits bar one.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:53 pm

dest4b wrote:4. Some times i have Problems on my Nexus 9 with Crackeling and High Latency. If i had the Probelm i have looked in the Settings and i see that its 30-280ms latency and it is not runnning smooth.

Short update regarding overheating.
If you're using some sort of a flip cover or a case where the tablet is permanently in while running... try to take it out.
Covers/Cases are the worst you can do for the device temperature, especially on a nexus 9 which is known to get pretty warm during excessive usage.

Regarding the "from time to time" crackling:
That depends on the Audio System you've set in the G-Stomper Settings.

AudioTrack N : Cracklings might occur right after the start of the app due to the automatic latency tuning.
OpenSL : Cracklings might occur due to a too low internal latency setting (just use a higher setting in that case, ... medium for example).
dest4b

Postby dest4b » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 am

HI, yes i use a cover. I try to remove it.
But it does not hapen very often.

And i will try to change the audiosettings.

But please think about an undo function.. Sometimes i think about to brake my tablet in two slightly different sized pieces.

Also the Pre-counter for live recording would be a useful feature. Otherwise you have to wait 8 Patterns to start recording.
And during pre-count you could be sorting your fingers on the "keyboard" without recording any note.
I really miss that.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:45 pm

dest4b wrote:HI, yes i use a cover. I try to remove it.
But it does not hapen very often.

And i will try to change the audiosettings.

But please think about an undo function.. Sometimes i think about to brake my tablet in two slightly different sized pieces.

Also the Pre-counter for live recording would be a useful feature. Otherwise you have to wait 8 Patterns to start recording.
And during pre-count you could be sorting your fingers on the "keyboard" without recording any note.
I really miss that.

Regarding pre-count:
When you have a 8 bar pattern, just before you hit record, long press the left arrow of the position controls (where you switch between the bars). That will move the play position to bar 8. Then, with metronome enabled, press record and play.
I guess that is exactly what you're looking for.

I'll see if it's possible to put that in a one-click-function.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”