Setting up MIDI Channels and Ports

Questions and Discussions about G-Stomper
paths

Setting up MIDI Channels and Ports

Postby paths » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:54 am

I have an Akai MPK Mini. I wanted to use it with G-Stomper on my tablet. I can hook it up just fine and it sees it, but the thing is, when I connect it, it automatically assigns my keyboard to the track 01 synth. I tried to go in the settings to see how I can set it up to control other things. It's really confusing and I don't understand how I can control other instruments and map it the way I want. Can anyone explain how I can accomplish this or at least direct to where I can find out how? Thanks in advance.
planet-h

Re: Setting up MIDI Channels and Ports

Postby planet-h » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome to the forum, paths.
And thanks for your message.

paths wrote:I have an Akai MPK Mini. I wanted to use it with G-Stomper on my tablet. I can hook it up just fine and it sees it, but the thing is, when I connect it, it automatically assigns my keyboard to the track 01 synth. I tried to go in the settings to see how I can set it up to control other things. It's really confusing and I don't understand how I can control other instruments and map it the way I want. Can anyone explain how I can accomplish this or at least direct to where I can find out how? Thanks in advance.

Yes, that's the default setup. The currently selected VA-Beast track (which can be every VA Track you activate) listens to all MIDI channels and ports.
You can of course change that setup.

Here's the chapter how to setup channels and ports for the particular instruments:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc475258853

Of course you don't have to type in all channels/ports manually, just let G-Stomper learn the incoming Channels and ports by pressing a single key.
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc475258855

To remove the default mapping on the selected VA Track:
1. On the main screen, press SETUP
2. Select the MIDI tab
3. Scroll down to the bottom and press "VA-Beast Synthesizer Channels, Ports"
4. Press "Clear all" and confirm

Hope that answers your question.
If you need further help, always feel free to ask.
paths

Postby paths » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:03 am

planet-h wrote:Welcome to the forum, paths.
And thanks for your message.

paths wrote:I have an Akai MPK Mini. I wanted to use it with G-Stomper on my tablet. I can hook it up just fine and it sees it, but the thing is, when I connect it, it automatically assigns my keyboard to the track 01 synth. I tried to go in the settings to see how I can set it up to control other things. It's really confusing and I don't understand how I can control other instruments and map it the way I want. Can anyone explain how I can accomplish this or at least direct to where I can find out how? Thanks in advance.

Yes, that's the default setup. The currently selected VA-Beast track (which can be every VA Track you activate) listens to all MIDI channels and ports.
You can of course change that setup.

Here's the chapter how to setup channels and ports for the particular instruments:
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc475258853

Of course you don't have to type in all channels/ports manually, just let G-Stomper learn the incoming Channels and ports by pressing a single key.
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc475258855

To remove the default mapping on the selected VA Track:
1. On the main screen, press SETUP
2. Select the MIDI tab
3. Scroll down to the bottom and press "VA-Beast Synthesizer Channels, Ports"
4. Press "Clear all" and confirm

Hope that answers your question.
If you need further help, always feel free to ask.

My keyboard has some pads on it. So what I'm trying to do is setup each sample track (drums) for each pad. In other words, trying to assign each pad to each track. I'm using the learn function. I go to the MIDI settings, scroll down to Sampler Channels, Ports and press it. It brings up the list. I select track 1, hit Learn, then hit the pad I want to assign it to.. up until now everything's fine. But then, I go to the track 2, hit learn, then hit the next pad, it learns it fine, but it combines the tracks. As in, it plays both tracks when hitting either of the pad. It's like it learns the one tracks and makes the pads different pitches. How do I make it so it's all separate on their own pad?

EDIT

And another thing is, how can I switch between instruments? It seems that when I select and Channel/Port, it learns my keyboard to it, but when I learn it again to another instrument, it just combines my Keyboard into controlling both at the same time. As in, I press a key, and the drum and synth will play at the same time. How can I make it one at a time and switch between?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I'm very new to this.
planet-h

Postby planet-h » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 am

paths wrote:My keyboard has some pads on it. So what I'm trying to do is setup each sample track (drums) for each pad. In other words, trying to assign each pad to each track. I'm using the learn function. I go to the MIDI settings, scroll down to Sampler Channels, Ports and press it. It brings up the list. I select track 1, hit Learn, then hit the pad I want to assign it to.. up until now everything's fine. But then, I go to the track 2, hit learn, then hit the next pad, it learns it fine, but it combines the tracks. As in, it plays both tracks when hitting either of the pad. It's like it learns the one tracks and makes the pads different pitches. How do I make it so it's all separate on their own pad?

Your AKAI MPK Mini pads use all the same MIDI channel.
If you now map this MIDI channel (which is always the same, e.g. ch01) to the Drum Sampler tracks, then the tracks all react to this channel, which results in the fact that all mapped tracks are played when you hit a particular pad.

What you have to do is to map the midi channel of your pads to the global channel in G-Stomper, and then use the Global Key Mappings to map the particular notes (each pad sends a different note) of the pads to the drum sampler pads.

1. Learn the MIDI channel/port of the pads in the "Global Channel, Ports" section of the MIDI setup.
2. Learn the MIDI notes/keys of your pads to the particular pads in the "Global Key Mappings" section of the MIDI setup.
G-Stomper has default global key mappings, but these probably won't match with your pads.
http://www.planet-h.com/gstomper/docs/G-Stomper_UserManual_Midi.htm#_Toc475258862

paths wrote:And another thing is, how can I switch between instruments? It seems that when I select and Channel/Port, it learns my keyboard to it, but when I learn it again to another instrument, it just combines my Keyboard into controlling both at the same time. As in, I press a key, and the drum and synth will play at the same time. How can I make it one at a time and switch between?

Same applies here.
If you map the same channel (the one from your keyboard) to multiple Drum Sampler or VA-Beast Synth tracks, then all these tracks/instruments will play if you hit the keyboard.

My recommendation is to map your keyboard channel to the "Selected Track VT[..]" in the "VA-Beast Synthesizer Channel, Ports" section of the MIDI setup.
That way your keyboard will always play the currently selected VA-Beast track/instrument. To switch between the tracks, simply select another one in G-Stomper by tapping the track pad.

Return to “General Questions and Discussions”